Navara D40 lost power, won't rev, blowing a lot of white smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.Noble

Reaction score
hi guys
I'm new to this so hope I'm doing it rite.
i have a question to a mechanical fault that i hope some of you may have come across and can give me some direction into the repairs.
background
i have a 2008 nissan navara spain built auto with 175000km.
i have had the DPF and cat removed 80,000km ago and had problems stoping the regen, bogy fix i found was to disconnect the sensor that reads the DPF pressures before and after. no regen but always had a CEL which i could live with and never had a problem since done 80,00km like that.
last week turned a corner and lost all power and when tried to accelerate was hunting badly and blowing tons of white smoke.
checked for faults and showing none.
looked over the forum and have already checked the EGR motor didn't have a snapped shaft or stuck shut, both are functional.
it runs fine at idle, and was easy to start while it was hot, next day it doesn't want to start.
so my question has anyone heard of this problem?

When mine would not start, it turned out the fuel pump needed resetting. They plugged in the nissan scanner, did a pump reset / re-learn and it started straight off..

White smoke = unburnt diesel.. So perhaps the pump was injecting too much?

Thank you for your response.
On further inspection cranking it over with intercooler pipe off inlet manifold it's blowing smoke back out the inlet. It's too much for me so I have it booked in tommorrow with a mechanic that seems it's either the timing chain has skipped a tooth or a tensioner has let go putting the timing out or a stuck valve. I will keep you posted to inform anyone in future that may come up with this fault.

Got my ute back today, mechanic thought it may have been a stretched timing chain or a damaged inlet valve due to the blow back out the inlet while cranking, turned out to be a snapped EGR valve the exhaust side,
So for people out there my truck just lost power all of a sudden n then ran fine at idle but when tried to excellerat it hunted badly and pumped out pure white smoke from the exhaust.

Latest posts

Back