Navara d40 off road ability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
After today going threw some tricky stuff I think I want to sell my d40 fair too say it was kinda bad getting stuck and ford mavericks witch is 20 years old and petrol I'm pissed off about the stupid 4wd auto hubs dint work like they should if they don't work why not leave the gearstick and manual hubs I nearly had a bad smash going up a hill the car died on me lost grip and slid back fast nearly hit the tree I also think it had something to do with the clutch ... Fair too say I'm not happy with it I no it's never going to do what the big boys can do pretty much a hilux also a stock mazda made it up the same I could not go.
:pissedoff:

Sounds more like something is wrong with your car , rather then the "D40" range I understand the bad frontal clearance but other issues don't sound right

My stock standard D40 auto was great when I took it to land cruiser mountain park.

Never got stuck and I am very inexperienced - it went everywhere mated could take their moded 4bys.

Maybe a problem with yours...

The D22 has less power. Its wheelbase is slightly shorter and it's narrower so it's less stable than the D40.

We weren't there to see it, we have one paragraph of text describing what happened. It didn't describe the ruts, the quality of the surface, how wet it was ...

If it was a 45 degree incline of wet red clay and the other cars chose to gun their engines to use momentum and the D40 tried to take it slowly it's obvious why there was a problem. A D22 doing the exact same thing would suffer the exact same fate.

The complaint here is how the front hubs wouldn't engage. Well, there's an interesting point here - the front hubs of the D40 don't EVER disengage. They're engaged full-time. The front diff is turned over by the wheels ALL the time. The thing that drives the front wheels - the transfer case - is the ONLY thing that disconnects the front axles.

So we're not talking about the hubs any more - they aren't an issue. The issue is in the transfer case. If you tried to engage 4WD and it didn't work, there's a problem in the transfer case itself. That's a fairly new vehicle and if there's a problem with the transfer case, take it back and get it fixed.

We've now had our D40 - not lifted or anything - through slick mud, sand, rocky tracks and a bonnet-deep water crossing. 4WD has engaged and disengaged exactly as expected - including the time when I intended to put it in 4LO and because I neglected to put the transmission into neutral, the car refused and I had to use much more throttle to get me through. After the crossing (axle-deep water + mud) I tried engaging it again, following procedure properly, and had no problems - it was just me not doing it right.

Sounds like somthing is wrong? What is wrong with the hubs? If you put it 4WD they should engage right away. Did the clutch slip?
I will admit I have not done any really serious off roading (in this 4WD) and don't intend to but have given it a go on some of the state forest trails around here and although it has the crappy standard tyers, it done very well. In low range it would climb a tree. I thought the LSD action was very good to dispite reading a few posts that D40's LSD is shit. Dunno, maybe I'm lucky but it's still fairly new and plenty of time to wear out yet.

Wow... i would say something is up for sure..
Please dont think that because the Nav is new and the maverick/ Gq patrol is old that the nav should be better!! thats a joke....... the maverick/GQ are one of the best ever 4x4's. For a start they have a solid axle front end, our Navs with IFS simply can not compete. They also are regarded to have the best working drive line around, the diffs are legendary.
To put it simply you can not compare an IFS ute to a solid axle wagon, they just cant flex like the solid axle can.

Every time i go out wheeling its with a Hilux, i am surrounded by them, BUT the nav always is able to go where they can, and more often then not it goes further.

You mentioned Auto hubs........ The D40 does not have auto hubs.
The hubs are permenatly locked, they dont have the abilty to unlock that is why our diff is constantly being turned over by ground force.

The clutch is the same dual mass system that the Hilux uses, if i have mine in low, i never need to ride the clutch as 1st gear low range in the D40 is awesome.

Well, there's an interesting point here - the front hubs of the D40 don't EVER disengage. They're engaged full-time. The front diff is turned over by the wheels ALL the time. The thing that drives the front wheels - the transfer case - is the ONLY thing that disconnects the front axles.
I didn't know that! When checking out one of these things for the first time, I thought, oh look, no manual hubs must have those auto jobs on them. Nice retro touch by Nissan. Having said that it does have it good and bad points with this setup.

ill post pics soon ... although some times pics dont really show what its like sometimes .

THE D40 DOES NOT HAVE AUTO HUBS!!
the new Hilux has a vac operated switch that locks and unlocks the hubs, BUT the D40's hubs are premaritally engaged

Doesn't the Computer control the headlights in the D40.

Good luck solving the problem in that case.

Doesn't the Computer control the headlights in the D40.

Good luck solving the problem in that case.

The BCM (Body Control Module) indeed controls the headlights. That's why you can flick your pass lights after turning off the engine and the low beams come on for 30 seconds, giving you light to see your way to your front door. The transfer case is controlled by its own module, which reads the sensors within it, the ABS data reported through the ECU and the state of the switch.

Nissan did install candle holders in your D22, didn't they Dave? :bootyshake:

Back