Navara d40 off road ability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't the Computer control the headlights in the D40.

Good luck solving the problem in that case.

Now, Now, Dave, I seem to remember being at Stocton and a certain D22 wasnt able to make it up at least three of the dunes that the D40 made it up....
Or have you forgot so soon???

so what can i do to keep up with these guys ? or should i throw in the towel and get a older 70 landcruiser ?? sorry i dont really mean to take it out on the navara im very frustrated

also i could get in to 4wd high but then it wouldn't go in to low ... and then it lost all power up this one hill and i skated for at least 6 meters while hand braking and turning away from tress as quick as i could .. luck for me i got out it but after that i smelt clutch and it got stuck down then is was in 4wd ....

so what can i do to keep up with these guys ? or should i throw in the towel and get a older 70 landcruiser ?? sorry i dont really mean to take it out on the navara im very frustrated

also i could get in to 4wd high but then it wouldn't go in to low ... and then it lost all power up this one hill and i skated for at least 6 meters while hand braking and turning away from tress as quick as i could .. luck for me i got out it but after that i smelt clutch and it got stuck down then is was in 4wd ....

is your Nav an AUTO or MANUAL? did you follow the right procedure to engage Low range. mine is a manual and if i dont put it in neutral it wont engage low.. ever..

i dint no that about the hubs ... thanks for the info so when u put them on u need to go forward and it clicks?

i dint no that about the hubs ... thanks for the info so when u put them on u need to go forward and it clicks?

what do you mean.... "move forward"' ???
To engage 4low i have to stop the car completly and put it in nuetral with my foot on the brake and wait until it clicks into low and the dash light show low range.

IMG_2486.jpg

this is one of the places i got stuck coming up

IMG_2497.jpg

this bloke was going down but thats the rest of the hill i came up got stuck and the mav went straight up with road tires and no lift lol i was going up

i was going ok in low but this was this ditch u might just see it in the second photo in between the other blokes wheel base where i got stuck just slipped tried different angles nothing would work.. maybe if i had a locka but its alot of money

thanks for info mate maybe that's why i had a bit of trouble i guess the only thing to do is get a lift like yours... i really think i need at least a 3inch.. but dont no if that will be enough

Good photo mate, it shows the poor ramp over ability of our Navs, even with a lift they are so long and the chassis so low that is always going to be the D40's Achilles heel.
My cousin has the new hilux it has the same lift as mine and we run the same tyres, all the measurements are the same, axle to guard ect the one big difference is the chassis height, i hate to say it but the Lux has a much higher chassis so the ramp over is heaps better.
But it doesnt seem to get as much traction as the d40... goods and bad for each vehicle

Lets be honest here, Navaras either D22 or D40 aren't the best off road, and certainly won't compete with a stock GQ/Maverick. At least the D40 is a comfortable & nice car with 4wd ability, dunno what the D22's purpose in life is!

Should have gone up that hill no worries, but yeah you'd have to be in low range, like the others said, have to stop, neutral & select low, then you'll feel it select, if the knob is in low but you've driven off before it got chance to select move the cogs about the 4wd light will flash (I think)

As justdrinrinbeer said You probably wern't in low range. I was rushing to get up a hill once and i dident notice that the 4dw light was still flashing meaning it had not selected low yet. I dident get verry far lots of burning clutch. Need to be stoped and in neutral to select low. Wait for the light to stop flashing then you are good to go. I have 2' lift and good bash plates. And can keep up with my mates landcruiser at landcruiser park. enjoy the comfort of the d40 (dave can't) and look for the odd chicken track. If it gets too hard a six pack and siting in your mates solid axel passinger seat watching him try to break it may help...

thanks for all your info guys.. i do like my nav but i need to make it a bit better off road.. like i said i know its not the best 4x4 for off road but alot of people seem to look down on navaras i want to prove that there not that bad but ther other day i dint do a grate job off it lol.

Back