NBN network.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$40 a month will get us 20 gig peak plus 20 gig off peak

That's not bad, I've got a 20gig peak 20 gig off peak (download only uploads aren't counted) and last month I used about 8-9gig total and that was a struggle. Still can't see myself going wireless in a hurry, can't even be screwed going ADSL2.

Im on a 200Gb monthly and use around 160-180 / month ADSL2 Telstra.

I gave up with those peak/offpeak plans...PIA, and Optus who is was with for a long time couldnt provide ADSL2 in my area.

Yeah only Telstra can provide adsl2 to my door although Optus are close, but I just don't have a need for downloading that much that quickly.

there is two teens here and two adults...spose we are all big users...dont do movies tho.

I've got a minimum 4 pc's connected 24/7 and one acts as a small web server. I don't download movies or music but a decent upload speed would be good.

Adsl2 was never going to happen for us, to far from exchange. peak/off peak is all they really offer, plus its better than the 8gig we get through 3g dongle now for 50 a month

ADSL2 wont happen for me unless they are willing to do it for less than $40 a month with atleast 20gig. I've never used 20gig in a month but I'm not going to less just so they can make more money off me.

Adsl2 was never going to happen for us, to far from exchange. peak/off peak is all they really offer, plus its better than the 8gig we get through 3g dongle now for 50 a month

get rid of the dongle and use your phone to tether

Telstra sent us a mail out yesterday blazoned with "ADSL2 now in your area" on the front. I knew it was available and have no intention of going to it yet and definitely not with Telstra but I had that idea reaffirmed when I opened it up and the only plan they had listed was the super special and downright generous 200GB for $115 per month.

Fcuk me at that kind of price I want a little telstra lacky sitting here at my computer downloading what I want and doing my bloody work for me.

I found it hard to believe the the coalition plan. Take my example for instance. It will come to the exchange by fibre, proably does now anyway. From there it's about 400 Meters to the closest tail at the end of my street which I would have a guess will be the Node point. From there is it will go the last 200 meters by twisted pair copper to my house. A twisted pair copper that is 35 years old. That sits in a pit in the wet tropics. It has big maintenance on the on that line as is. 3 repairs to my house in the last 15 years and this is progress. There gotta be joking but there not. So less intial cost but more ongoing maintenace cost/ They really have no vision at all.
BTW Biscuits, good to see you back havn't seen a post from you in while.

Not happy with the whole NBN scheme, talk of fiber to the node and not the property. Using 20 year old copper lines from the node to the property is bloody outrageous, and is not putting Australian internet in front of the rest of the world. Why use such an old outdated technology?

Brett

P.S i do love my 100mbps fiber connection :D

I found it hard to believe the the coalition plan. Take my example for instance. It will come to the exchange by fibre, proably does now anyway. From there it's about 400 Meters to the closest tail at the end of my street which I would have a guess will be the Node point. From there is it will go the last 200 meters by twisted pair copper to my house. A twisted pair copper that is 35 years old. That sits in a pit in the wet tropics. It has big maintenance on the on that line as is. 3 repairs to my house in the last 15 years and this is progress. There gotta be joking but there not. So less intial cost but more ongoing maintenace cost/ They really have no vision at all.
BTW Biscuits, good to see you back havn't seen a post from you in while.

They did say you can pay to get fiber to the home but at a cost to the household. How much are we talking here? Fiber aint cheap! Seem's stupid to me, Wouldn't it be beneficial to put fiber to each home? That way is it done and wont have to be done in the future (More ****ing money at the taxpayers expense).

Brett

Brett

Apart from anything else even if it does get implemented by the time it gets fully rolled out to the areas that the government and telcos consider to be the majority of the population it will no longer be new technology and will need upgrading. It might be a step forward but it's not a very big step forward considering the time frame.

and what is the new technology that is going to replace it?

<fsck, this is going to be good for a laugh>

The difference between fibre and copper is negligible. The real cost is in labour, pits and ducting.

+ Fiber splicing + FTTP modem + battery backup + power point + first ethernet point + first phone point

Cost will depend on your distance fron the Node. Tech community believe you can start at $5000 and go up from there.

Just think all this is free for 97% of australia for an extra $7bn. Why bother with coalition plan.

Last edited:
In 2006 there were 7,800,000 households in aus
If 97% get fibre that is 7,566,000
All completed for free under labour plan for $37bn

Under liberal only 22% of those house get fiber.
This leaves 6,084,000
To individually connect those house at min $5000 = $30,420,000,000 (under labours plan it will cost $119 per house to connec the reaming 75%)
Thats right $30.4 bn (which labour is doing at no cost to household for an extra $7bn)

Noting that there are more houses in 2013 than 2006. So the figure is much higher than $30.4bn

The libturds will jump on here and scream "yeah but not everyone wants fiber"
Only 17% of household need to want fiber to make up the $7bn extra up front cost. If you think more than 83% of households don't want fiber. Your only fooling yourself.

Vote Labour and do it properly the first time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back