Need another vehicle. Suggestions please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
It's keeping me awake!
Come Monday I am going to hand in my resignation to my current employer and thus have to hand back the magic carpet that is the company vehicle.
In short had a job interview this arvo and give or take a small issue (having to give 4 weeks notice) the job is mine.
Now the new job is on the road as a rep and as such I need a vehicle but there is not one provided by the company. Instead there is a sizeable vehicle allowance on top of the salary package.
So.
Looking for a late model vehicle that is presentable, is comfortable enough to drive several hundred km's a day, can tow up to 2.5t and can be purchased second hand ready to go for under $15K. Fuel is not an issue as a fuel card is provided. It can be as thirsty as it likes.
Shortlist so far
1. Falcon wagon
2. LR Discovery ( why are they so cheap ?)
3. Commodore wagon

Will look at leasing a new vehicle in the future but for now don't want to get in too deep until I am sure that the job will pan out. Perhaps a D40 or a Patrol

Any thoughts?

Forget the Falcon and the Commodore. Falcon's max tow weight is 2.3T, Commodore is 2.1T, and it doesn't matter what you do to either, that's a chassis limit.

An LR Discovery with D40 seats maybe? You'd have the towing power.

V8 Land Rovers are pretty good, and as you have said fuel is not an issue!

No more beer plumbing?

Re tony's input - scratch the Falcon and the Commondoor wagons.
Have been all over the LR owners site today and they certainly have some issues - running costs are what appear to be the reason for the lower re-sale. But it is still a contender.
What else?
When I get the go ahead for this new role I need to go shopping and secure a vehicle fast so any suggestions are welcome.
Patrols and Landcruisers are well over priced on the secondhand market so have ruled them out.

On the road for under $15k, towing capacity of 2.5T, neat and tidy.
Mazda bravo is out - 1800 kg towing capacity
Hilux out - 2250 towing capacity
Even considered a new Great Wall. At $19k drive away. But. towing capacity is 1800kg
Fairmont ghia - 2300kg towing
WH Statesman - 2100kg

It looks like I am going to have to source another D22 around 02-03 vintage

2.5 tonne is a heavy tow even for Cruisers and Patrols. What about a Prado? although I don't think you'll get one for $15K

Not many options mate.

Look at a D22 or a GQ or 80 Series, shivers saying the Yota.

Dave.

i have a ke20 should be able to tow something and its yours for only $1000

Not many options mate.

Look at a D22
Dave.

Looking at one in the driveway!
We bought the Nav because it suited our purposes - We need a mobile dog kennel. Besides the 12yo xr6 was long in the tooth and wet dogs in a sedan is not much fun.
So it looks like I am going to take the Nav for work purposes and now we are going to source another kennel in the shape of a late model Ford ute to ferry "The Missus" to work and the dogs to the park.
Might work out well financially too since then I can claim depreciation on the Navara and pocket the excess of the vehicle allowance.

Oh and by the way........I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!
Not half happy now! Been a nervous and stressful weekend. I nearly threw up this morning on nerves alone. Never been that toey but felt an enourmous weight lift this arvo when I got the news. 75% increase in pay and something that will challenge me and retain my interest!

My old man has had a few discoverys and they are a top vehicle, had them in several vintages from 95-now and no probs, well under priced for what they offer.
If I ever get the thermography business up & running i'll be after a Disco 4

Hmmmm,long kms,big towing capacity......
Joined the circus?? :big_smile:

Congrats on the job mate.

Cheers mate. And everyone else.
You've got a cracking wit - bet your missus rolls her eyes alot at your daily observations!
As for circuses I'm leaving one and not running away to join another one I hope. New job is a Sales Rep for Snorkel access equipment.
So how many can I put you down for?:big_smile:

All that aside I am now shopping for a BA Falcon ute with canopy, Low(ish) kms, around 15k. Got to find one fast as it will be Anges daily ride to work and the new shuttle bus for the 2 hairy beasts.
Gave notice today and finish up on the 5th March so that leaves bugger all time for shopping. Not just that but I have to buggerise around with finance and banks to cover a gap of a couple of weeks whilst I re-jig the finances and make allowance for payouts and cheques that are in the mail.
Looking forward to sleeping more than 4 hrs a night after all this dust settles!

Bought this sight unseen - need a car before Tuesday.
Pick it up Fri night.
Looks well cared for - 1 owner. Have spoken with him and has full service history and is selling because of new company vehicle. This will be Anges new car and I am taking the Nav for work purposes.
Was in for a roadworthy today and passed everything except Tyres and rotors. The current owner is going to replace these and include the RWC and 12months reg.
No money changes hands until I have driven it and inspected it but so far everything is looking good.
2000 FORD EXPLORER XLT US Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au

Bought this sight unseen - need a car before Tuesday.
Pick it up Fri night.
Looks well cared for - 1 owner. Have spoken with him and has full service history and is selling because of new company vehicle. This will be Anges new car and I am taking the Nav for work purposes.
Was in for a roadworthy today and passed everything except Tyres and rotors. The current owner is going to replace these and include the RWC and 12months reg.
No money changes hands until I have driven it and inspected it but so far everything is looking good.
2000 FORD EXPLORER XLT US Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au

Did you buy it?
Go alright?

Latest posts

Back