Need Some Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAV4X4

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 2007 D40 TD. I had a couple issues while I was going to and from work today. My first issue was when I got my morning paper, I turned the car off and when I restarted the car it stalled after a couple seconds of running. Restarted the car again and all was ok. So I didn't think much of it.
Then while driving home I was in second gear and I gave the engine a squirt to 4500rpm. The engine felt like it hit the rev limiter and then I had no power car wouldn't rev. Not sure but is this limp home mode? I had no warning lights on the dash. So I pulled over and shut the engine down and restarted to see if that would fix the problem. It done the same thing ran for a couple seconds then stalled. I restarted the engine and it seemed to be ok again. But I would only rev the engine to 3000rpm.
So when I was close to home I thought I would rev the engine out again to see what would happen. The engine got to 4000rpm and the same thing happened.
I have also noticed lately about the last 2000-2500k's it seems to be blowing big puffs of black smoke. I have also put in the tank a bottle of Nulon Diesel injector cleaner to see if that would reduce the black smoke.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem? My car is out of warranty next month.
Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Yeah tell me about it. My car is booked in for Wednesday at Nissan for a faulty air con fan. So I think I'll ring them tommorrow and let them no about this problem.

its sounds like its going into limp home mode i have heard of few fuel pressure sensor on common rail failing but not sure of the syptoms will be interesting to keep me posted

Big puffs of black smoke would indicate a highly enriched fuel/air mix. Those injectors might have a problem - and with worn injectors, it's entirely possible that injector cleaner makes the problem worse, not better!

I'd hot-foot it to the dealer too. If it's limp mode, the engine warning light should come on telling you there's an issue.

I don't know if the 07 model had a DPF. If you do, you could put the thing on a freeway for about an hour and just drive it gently. That will give the car enough of a chance to conduct a regen cycle. You don't want to be paying Nissan to do a forced regen.

Let us know how it goes!

does kinda sound like limp mode...but apparently the max speed us can go is 80km/h.

other people advised this fixed their limp mode:

changed oil filter
change fuel filter (water inside)
blocked transmission filte (auto) only
shit diesel fill at some scum station....drained it and rock n rolling again.

sh** it could be anything....

u should maybe look at getting an obdii cable and connect ur laptop with car scanning software and get to know the vehicle taht way...could save a lot of trial and error now and in the future. thats what iv done...since iv got an old 06 d40...have a feeling sh*** gona hit the fan soon...

Last edited:
Big puffs of black smoke would indicate a highly enriched fuel/air mix. Those injectors might have a problem - and with worn injectors, it's entirely possible that injector cleaner makes the problem worse, not better!

I'd hot-foot it to the dealer too. If it's limp mode, the engine warning light should come on telling you there's an issue.

I don't know if the 07 model had a DPF. If you do, you could put the thing on a freeway for about an hour and just drive it gently. That will give the car enough of a chance to conduct a regen cycle. You don't want to be paying Nissan to do a forced regen.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the ideas guys I'll keep you posted.:top:
But I'm starting to wonder if it could have something to do with the injector cleaner also. Thats the only thing different.

Thanks for the ideas guys I'll keep you posted.:top:
But I'm starting to wonder if it could have something to do with the injector cleaner also. Thats the only thing different.

i read a thread somewhere here that some uni scientist guru person did tests on injector cleaners and did not improve...dont quote me tho...im sure i read it somewhere

The thing with injectors is that over time, the metal wears. Varnish gets applied through use and fills the little spots so that the injector (mostly) functions just fine. This keeps happening.

One day, along comes some injector cleaner and all that varnish just melts away, leaving gaping holes and a desperate need for a brand new injector.

Be warned that Nissan charge almost double what you can buy the exact same thing for elsewhere.

Dunno if this is going to help you at all mate but a friend of mine had his 2009 Navara play up last week end. He was stuck at a shopping centre with an engine that would not rev at all, and when it tried to it sounded very under powered like it was starving for air/fuel. He ended up ringing the dealer he bought it from who said that water in the air filter could do it, when that was illiminated he then asked if anyone had been using any sort of electronic equipment in the cab. Turns out his missus was accessing the internet on her phone. The dealer suggested to turn off all electronic equipment, lock the car using the central locking then unlock it again. He did this and hasn't played up sinse. The dealer said that if the normal key failed to rectify the problem then try the spare.
Like i say maybe your problem is different but it certainly fixed my mates car.

Dunno if this is going to help you at all mate but a friend of mine had his 2009 Navara play up last week end. He was stuck at a shopping centre with an engine that would not rev at all, and when it tried to it sounded very under powered like it was starving for air/fuel. He ended up ringing the dealer he bought it from who said that water in the air filter could do it, when that was illiminated he then asked if anyone had been using any sort of electronic equipment in the cab. Turns out his missus was accessing the internet on her phone. The dealer suggested to turn off all electronic equipment, lock the car using the central locking then unlock it again. He did this and hasn't played up sinse. The dealer said that if the normal key failed to rectify the problem then try the spare.
Like i say maybe your problem is different but it certainly fixed my mates car.

WTF?! very strange but feasible. thanks for the info

Hi guy's just an update on my car. I rang Nissan on Monday and told them about the issue. They said they would look at it on Wednesday being today as my car was already booked in for another issue.
But the strange thing is that after I've told Nissan about the no power issue it hadn't done it since. I'm like WTF!!! that would be right.:banghead:
But they checked it over and there was a fault code logged saying there was a hiccup with the injector pump. They reset the computer took it for a test drive and so far it's fine. They are putting it down to dodgy fuel as they say our diesel is pretty shitty.
So hopefully thats the end of it. Thanks for all your input.

I bought a load of diesel at Wilcannia during our Christmas trip and sweet bloody Jesus that was the worst crap I've ever used, bloody vodka cruisers would have been more potent.

Where are ya, so we all know to refuel before we get there? :big_smile:

Fingers crossed the fix holds!

Back