New Camera suggestions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just go an Eos 600d. I did and I'll
Never look back. I regularly go out and just take photos of nature now

Last edited:
Fatboy which EOS 600D kit would you look at on that site? seems to list a few different kits.. I don't realy need 2 lens, just a good all round one.

The greatest thing I like about my Canon EOS is its "Sports Mode". 3 photos per second, I can reel off 20 shots and get just the right shot, where the kids' eyes are open, they're all smiling and the action is happening. Fast boot time (not much delay from power on to taking the photo) and beautiful nature shots.

Whichever camera you choose, get one that boots fast and has the high-speed still photography mode. It'll land you with a LOT more photos, but you'll get the gems that you would otherwise have missed.

I just went and read a couple of reviews on them. There's not a lot of difference - both 18Mpx, 3" LCD screen and same video (1080 HD) recording in various frame rates.

The 550D is a little faster than mine (3.7 still photos per second compared to my camera's 3.4fps) - the 600D is the same as the 550D.

It looks like the 600D is marginally better.

Ok so i've decided on the Nikon D5100. Now i am working out what lens to start with. I am considering just getting a 50mm prime? and then looking at a quality zoom lens, I'd prefer to buy decent lenses but not pro level stuff. What would you photography gurus suggest for lenses options for the nikon?

I don't want to buy a heap, just 1-2 i guess (1 if i can get away with doing most things with it). Another option i am considering is the Nikon AF Zoom NIKKOR 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D IF ED as my one and only lens. Do you think its ok as an everyday lens. not too big?

I thought maybe the standard Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR would be a little too cheap and nasty. is the 18-55 a better size for most things though.

Heres where i'll buy from http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/browse.asp?idCategory=9&brand=4&sort=AtoZ&submit=Go

if you can pick 1-2 lenses that would cover everything from family pics to kids soccer games and travel.

Thanks guys, its a whole new world to the point and shoot stuff i've always had and i don't want to waste money on the wrong gear.

Al

thanks!

Ok so i've decided on the Nikon D5100. Now i am working out what lens to start with. I am considering just getting a 50mm prime? and then looking at a quality zoom lens, I'd prefer to buy decent lenses but not pro level stuff. What would you photography gurus suggest for lenses options for the nikon?

I don't want to buy a heap, just 1-2 i guess (1 if i can get away with doing most things with it). Another option i am considering is the Nikon AF Zoom NIKKOR 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D IF ED as my one and only lens. Do you think its ok as an everyday lens. not too big?

I thought maybe the standard Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR would be a little too cheap and nasty. is the 18-55 a better size for most things though.

Heres where i'll buy from http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/browse.asp?idCategory=9&brand=4&sort=AtoZ&submit=Go

if you can pick 1-2 lenses that would cover everything from family pics to kids soccer games and travel.

Thanks guys, its a whole new world to the point and shoot stuff i've always had and i don't want to waste money on the wrong gear.

Al

thanks!

theres NO cheap and nasty with Nikon....those you mention are not so pricey because of their "f stop" range and they are zoom... open up your 'f stop' to a 1.4 for example and your price skyrockets

dont know how much you wanna spend but here's a start... and will cover your needs

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=121

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1916

if you want to spend roughly 500+ per lens I'll give you another 2.

good choice with the Nikon brang by the way:redcool:

yeah $500 a lens was about what i already thought would be a max, I'd feel a little guilty spending more then that, plus I am not giving up the day job.

Both those you listed come in a twin lens kit. But I thought the lens i buy should be a little better to get really good pics. So you think those cheaper ones will be fine?

Last edited:
For an all round maybe look into the sigma 50-150mm f5.6 ish if your not looking for the fast action. I have a 600D and 6 lens ranging from the niffty 50 up to the 70-200 f2.8 as I like shooting family to astronomy to sports.

50mm and smaller is really a wide angle lens 50+mm is a zoom lens. If you want a all rounder you could also look at the sigma 18-300 lens which is absolutely awesome lens.

the stock lenses in the twin lens kit for the D5100 are pretty good, considering what they cost. I have the same lenses which I use with my D7000, and excepting that they aren't all that good in low light conditions, they are pretty much perfect for anyone starting out with a DSLR

thanks, spamy should i go with the kit with the 55-200mm or 55-300mm? Good to hear from someone that has used them. great info.

For an all round maybe look into the sigma 50-150mm f5.6 ish if your not looking for the fast action. I have a 600D and 6 lens ranging from the niffty 50 up to the 70-200 f2.8 as I like shooting family to astronomy to sports.

50mm and smaller is really a wide angle lens 50+mm is a zoom lens. If you want a all rounder you could also look at the sigma 18-300 lens which is absolutely awesome lens.

I'll have a look thanks. hows buiild quality vs nikon kit lenses?

I couldnt say I'm a Canon fan boi, but I do have 3 sigma lens an I find them better then the canon lens with a fraction off the price missing

This might sound stupid, but would the extreme cold bugger up normal camera's and lenses?

Wasn't the Op buying so the camera could go to Antarctica or something?

Either way I'd suggest the way cameras get used those sort of tours down south the cold wouldn't be a huge issue unless the camera was left outside for long periods of time.

I knew several people that have done tours like that and they never considered the cold on the camera when they took photos, if you were David Attenborough maybe but I'd reckon most tourist would be find.

The first post said they're going to antartica, so it'd be lucky to reach 0 or -10 i'd think. I know bugger all about camera's so just thought I'd throw it out there.

Latest posts

Back