New in NSW

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shero82

Reaction score
hi all,

new member here from WA currently living in Sydney and moving to Darwin at the end of the year. previously a patrol owner but currently a BMW driver. my Navara stx king cab is on order and should be delivered in a couple of weeks. i've already spent a few days trawling these threads for ideas for a few mods.
seems a good place to start is to block the egr. that seems easy enough and not too expensive, but where from there?
i'm gonna need a bull bar - thinking about the arb safari
definitely want a lift kit - still not sure here maybe calmini 5" if i want to go all the way.
long range tank- a must for the posting to darwin at the end of the year.
air compressor - just for pumping up the tyres after getting off the beach for now but air locks down the track.
dual batteries, a radio and some spotties would round off the list for now.
the real question is what to do first? i guess that's the fun of buying a new vehicle.
thanks all for a great site and source of info and i can definitely say that i'll be visiting a lot

Shero

Welcome mate.

There are a few guys here with king cab's, first mods Id do would be longrange fuel tank and bullbar.

2 mods that I rate highly.

Dave.

thanks dave

pretty much mirroring my own thoughts there. reckon i'm set on the safari bar but what to do about the long range tanks - any recomendations?

Shero

I have a longranger in mine I bought from TJM.

4wdsystems do a 160L tank for the D40's.

I get 9.4L/100km's out of my D22 now and from 125L tank I can get 1180km's when the fuel light comes on.

Dave.

Welcome aboard.

I think one of the first things you should consider in a hot area is a snorkel, to keep the air intake up and away from the hot engine bay.

You should look at upgraded springs on the front with a bar, especially if you're mounting a winch.

Don't skimp on the air compressor - expect to shell out $300+ for a good one.

Driving lights - IPF are about the only ones that make submersible lights, so if you're going swimming (don't forget the snorkel) your driving lights won't fill with water.

Can't help with lift kit, radio etc - as for radios, I bought myself a hand-held because I don't use it unless I'm in convoy. For real outback expeditions, I'll be getting a satellite phone because it's the only device that truly has coverage anywhere there's sky.

How you going mate. If you are coming up over Xmas you might want a good set of all-terrain tyres, and if your are keen go for some muddies.... Cant go anywhere with out getting muddy that time of year. And a must is a snorkel. They are cheap insurance, and will make you alot less nervous going through river crossings when you don't really know for sure how deep it is (its a bit hard to walk river crossings up here haha)

Cheers Mickey

For real outback expeditions, I'll be getting a satellite phone because it's the only device that truly has coverage anywhere there's sky.

Be careful suggesting that to someone who will come back and try and bite you on the arse when they find out it's not true.

Sat technology is getting better but it's not 100% available at all times to all sat phones. It doesn't just require a visible skyline it requires a wide area of clear sky and it requires the satellite to be above you when you want to make a call.

There is a lot of birds up in that sky and the telcos do their best to keep one above our heads at all times but it doesn't always happen. Iridium have the most birds in the sky but they will only ever guarantee 1 over most locations at any given time where as Globalstar have less which can result in multiple black spots in any given area of this country in a day.

Of course there is ways around this if you understand your phone, the technology and your plans but it's not a 100% perfect solution that will always save your life. I use my sat phones every few weeks (mainly to cycle the batteries) and it's good when it works but it's as useless as a GSM mobile in the scrub when it doesn't.

G'day and welcome.If you are buying a new Navara I WOUldn't block the egr valve and I would probably get nissan to do the mods so you don't void your warranty or atleast speak to them and see if it will

Be careful suggesting that to someone who will come back and try and bite you on the arse when they find out it's not true.

Sat technology is getting better but it's not 100% available at all times to all sat phones. It doesn't just require a visible skyline it requires a wide area of clear sky and it requires the satellite to be above you when you want to make a call.

It's still better than "maybe the radio will work". I should have been more clear about "this is how I will do it". My apologies to anyone confused by me.

G'day and welcome.If you are buying a new Navara I WOUldn't block the egr valve and I would probably get nissan to do the mods so you don't void your warranty or atleast speak to them and see if it will

why wouldn't you want to block the egr? seems like every one who does gets less smoke and better fuel economy.

Latest posts

Back