New member, 1st turbo diesel, 1st 4 wheel drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitnat

Reaction score
G'day everyone!
My name is Matt, and I'm from the Mary valley area in QLD.

Just purchased an '04 D22 Navara and couldn't be more excited!
Have loved the navara's for a long time and this is my first 4 wheel drive!

It's been a long time since I have been excited about a vehicle, as everything has been about saving for a wedding or a house or some other unnecessary s*$t lol!

Currently situated out in the CSG fields and can't wait to get home and take possession of the new truck!

As I have very little else to do in camp of a night time other than the consume the allotted number of ales, I have been researching as much as possible. I also know from past motor car ventures that being a member of a specific car forum is a very enriching and rewarding experience.

The vehicle I have purchased has 173,000 k's. Towbar, bullbar, electronic brake controller, a 'chip' of unknown species' and a UHF.
I got it for a song and am very keen to get into pampering and modifying it as soon as I get home.

First of all, I have booked it in for a 3" exhaust. I'm sincerely hoping it is already installed as it has this 'chip' thing. However, if not I am keen to get it singing.

I have also booked it in for a dyno tune at Chapman's Auto Cooroy for the day before I have to head back to concentration camp.

Could anyone please tell me if the 3 litre TD navara's have the variable vane turbo's? Should I purchase the bargain front mount intercooler I have found online? Should I purchase the boost controller I have also got my hands 'nearly' on?
I know next to nothing about turbo diesels, however I have some knowledge of turbo charged petrol cars from my younger days.

Also, how do I get it to sound super sweet with the awesome whistle and truck sound?
Sorry if these questions seem young, and are coming fast. Just a little keen :)

All in all, just wanted to say hi, I'm very excited and keen to become part of the on (and off) line community!

Cheers
Matt

Welcome to the forum, Matt!

You might also consider a suspension lift if it hasn't had one, it will help with its off-road ability.

I don't know about the turbo, but ANY intercooler is a valuable addition, as long as you can squeeze the FMIC into the space in front of the radiator it'll be worth doing.

Don't worry about questions - it's what this place is all about!

If you want an opportunity to put your new rig alongside a bunch of other Navaras and do some mild-medium (your choice) 4WDing while you're at it, we're having a Muster up your way in October.

dyno tune? waste of money dude, not unless your chip of unknown origins can have the fuel maps modified.

the D22 3.0 doesn't have a VNT either, just an old school hitachi HT12b piece of crap.

Back