New Modification laws in NSW

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you buy a suspension kit online and fit it yourself after 1 august all you need to tell them if you get pulled over is that it was installed before that date. I don't know how they can police this. I'm confused.

I don't think they can police it, it's more so that they have a law to ping people for when they're rolling around on the bump stops.

Exactly, I think the only trucks to get pulled up will be the 6 inch lifts with 35" tyres. It's not policeable.

either have to carry reciepts or theyll say it had to have been engineered.

probably only applies to me on here, but just in case

Dan is the principle policy manager, light

I told him i had being modifying my 4wd for the last 6 months and only now is it ready for enigineering and what i could do?

here is his response,

As discussed it is appreciated that the relase of VSI 50 may impact on work already in progress and the RTA is prepared to allow you defer registering your modified vehicle after the 1 august deadline. In order to do so, please provide me with the following information:
* your name and address as they appear on your current rego papers
* the make model and rego number of the subject vehicle
* the nature of the work being undertaken
* the reasons why the vehicle is being modified outside the 50mm limits specifeid in VSI 50 and
* the likely completion date of the modifications.

Once i receive this information i will ensure you are granted an extension to the july deadline and to allow the modifed vehicle to be registered without conditions.
best wishes
Dan Leavy
Principle Policy Manager, Light

I URGE ANYONE OUT THERE TO EMAIL / CALL THIS PERSON AND APPLY FOR THE SAME BNEFITS.

When i spoke to him he said that they are in the process of preparing a press relase to extend the deadline to allow vehicles to be engineered as they were un aware how many vehicles would be affected.

feel free to copy this to any other forums you are part of as this needs to be shared!!!

[email protected]

yeah if we didnt have athol behind us wed be alot worse off.
Spoke to the bloke mentioned above today, sounds promising, just have to email the details to him.

I read Athol's blog last night. Well thought out. I emailed the Minister for Roads this mornig and my local member (Jodi Mckay), no response yet:

"Dear Ms Mckay and Mr Daley

I am writing to you both (to Ms McKay, because I am a concerned resident of Newcastle, and to Mr Daley as Roads Minister) regarding the press release on the 16th of July and the release of VSI 50 on the RTA website on the 17th of July.

It appears under the new regulations, that I will soon become a 'hoon.' I own both a 1964 EH Holden, which is in need of new suspension to make it safer to drive (and as a result, will be lower) and a 2002 Nissan Navara 4wd.

The former vehicle has been restored to stock standard original. It has a 149 cubic inch motor and an original 3 speed gearbox. The vehicle is hardly a hoon's vehicle. Even if I wanted to spin its wheels, it doesn't generate enough power to let me.

The latter vehicle has been lifted to allow both a greater carrying capacity, and to allow my family and I to get to some of the more remote parts of this great country, in addition to being able to access rural properties of family and friends. I also have further plans for the suspension of this vehicle to make it even safer and more able when travelling off the beaten track, whilst not compromising its on road safety.

All suspension parts are readily available on the open market, can be installed by licensed and qualified technicians and presumably already comply with applicable safety standards, otherwise should not be for sale in the first place.

When the end of this week rolls around, I will have a number of problems to deal with:

1. I have no idea if I will be legally able to make the safety and performance upgrades to the suspension of both vehicles without falling foul of the law; and
2. I am not confident either vehicle will be insurable with my insurers due to the possibility that they will both be in breach of your new regulations.

It is possible that the modifications that I have carried out and that I intend to carry out in the future can be certified by an engineer. I do not know if that is a certainty. What is certain is that either way, it will cost me to find out.

I am but one of many, many responsible drivers and vehicle owners of Newcastle (and New South Wales for that matter) that will be affected by these laws but who do not participate in street racing, burnouts, and up until this Friday, did not participate in the illegal modification of vehicle suspension.

Perhaps you could take the time to read the following blog from a local consulting engineer, someone who should know better than you and me. His article is well thought out and easy to read:
You have to be kidding: The "Car Hoons" news release

I implore both of you to reconsider the implementation of these new regulations and instead give full consideration to the real effect of the regulations on the majority of the voting public. It appears that the regulations are more of a knee jerk reaction than carefully planned legislation involving community, industry and other stakeholder consultation. To that end, along with many other voters, I am truly disappointed.

Regards,..."

Let you know if they bother to respond.

Well written. Just keep writing to them till they can't ignore you. Or run for office against your local member campaigning on that one issue, that usually gets their attention.

Check it out!!!

Hey guy's & gal, a little bit of cut an paste magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've won!!!!!

Hi Everyopne,

Michael Daley has just released a press release ataing that following this morning's meeting he has agreed to put the proposed VSI50 rule changes on hold.

Michael Daley was present at a meeting this morning because he has been bombarded with so many letters and emails from all of you at 4WD Action via the website and forum and other upset 4WDers he felt the need to sort this out.

Your efforts in writing and emailing in are directly responsible for this outcome. We have spoken and we have been heard!

Because Minister Daley was at the meeting he was able to be convinced that the VSI50 rules needed more thought and a working group including reps from the RTA, 4WD user groups and the AAAA, aftermarket industry will be set up to discuss any further changes aimed at increasing road safety.

This is fantastic news for 4Wders and it has happened because of the combined fight that we all put in to prevent this.

Great work everyone, this is a hugely successful outcome and while nothing has been decided re new regulations this is a massive step forward for us.

Congratulations everyone and this has proven the collective power we have when we all stand up together for what is right.

Thanks again,

We have won the battle but not the war. We must keep pressure on to prevent future reg changes but you've all done a massive job here and should be very proud.

Glenn

Press release from last night.

NSW MINISTER FOR ROADS
MICHAEL DALEY MP
NEWS RELEASE
MINISTER AGREES TO FURTHER CONSULTATION ON
CAR MODIFICATION LAWS
Wednesday 29 July 2009

Minister for Roads Michael Daley today met with representatives from the 4WD community and car industry who asked for the introduction of proposed vehicle modification rules to be delayed and for more time to consult.
Mr Daley said he agreed to put the rule changes on hold and that more consultation was needed following the meeting.
“I’ve listened to feedback from the industry and the community, and have agreed to set up a working party to look more closely at how we are going to address this road safety issue,” he said.

“All of those who attended today’s meeting agreed that safety is paramount and that unsafe modifications of vehicles do need be stamped out.
“The working group will include representatives from the NSW Centre for Road Safety, Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT, Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association, the Australian 4WD Industry Council as well as other agencies and experts,” Mr Daley said.

Executive Director of Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association Stuart Charity said this was a terrific outcome.
“We’re passionate about road safety and we understand the intent of the regulation is to make the roads safer,” he said.
We’re looking forward to working towards a practical solution that meets road safety objectives while also taking industry views into account,” Mr Charity said.

Greg Redfern from Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT also welcomed the outcome and said the working group would have their full support.
“We want to eliminate unsafe practices in the driving community and we’ll work with the government to make sure these new regulations meet those objectives without any adverse consequences for the motoring community at large,” he said.

“We all agree that there is no place for extreme and illegal modifications, but the clubs in our association follow a strict code of conduct and ethics, and we want to make sure they’re not punished,” Mr Redfern said.

Last edited:
now i just gota finish the build before they try and do that again

An update:

Dear Jason,

Yesterday I again raised the issue of the proposed changes to vehicle height restrictions in NSW Parliament. You can watch a video of my speech here.

It has been over 4 months since the ill-conceived laws were first announced and then put on hold. Since then we have had yet another Labor MP take over the Roads portfolio - that is 7 Ministers since 2002!

It is now also over 2 months since the NSW Parliament was told that the current Minister for Transport was "considering" the matter. This is not good enough.

In my speech yesterday I referred to an email I received indicating that in some areas Police may already be telling motorists that their vehicle heights are now illegal.

Over 3,800 people have signed up to our online petition calling on the NSW Labor to rule out their ill-conceived changes once and for all.

Please continue to encourage your fellow 4WD and car enthusiasts to logon and sign our petition.

Thank you and have a safe and enjoyable time on the State's roads this coming festive season.

Sincerely

Andrew Stoner MP
Shadow Minister for Roads

If you want to sign up http://www.andrewstoner.com.au/

Latest posts

Back