new rear suspension set up.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never read anyone mention about getting some custom made slightly longer Main Leaf (the one your shackles attach to) to replace the original ones. I know u would have to make sure that the spring bolt hole is in the right spot so the diff doesn't move too far back. Then match the longer main leaf springs up with extended shackles + longer travel shocks as well. If worked out correctly u the car would sit roughly the same height but have greater flex..... There's plenty of local springwork companies around that would help u make up 2 longer main leaves and I don't think the cost would be that big.....

I don't know if this has been mentioned or done b4, but as far as I can see it should work ok and with a longer main leaf u should great a better ride to

just my thoughts & I could be way off the mark....

rob

I've never read anyone mention about getting some custom made slightly longer Main Leaf (the one your shackles attach to) to replace the original ones. I know u would have to make sure that the spring bolt hole is in the right spot so the diff doesn't move too far back. Then match the longer main leaf springs up with extended shackles + longer travel shocks as well. If worked out correctly u the car would sit roughly the same height but have greater flex..... There's plenty of local springwork companies around that would help u make up 2 longer main leaves and I don't think the cost would be that big.....

I don't know if this has been mentioned or done b4, but as far as I can see it should work ok and with a longer main leaf u should great a better ride to

just my thoughts & I could be way off the mark....

rob

works they do it on the old hilux's alot

and again you would be litimed by the shocks so you would have to get longer travel shock to fit in the same space sacrificing up travel or invert/move the shock mounts.

Last edited:
Is that the sort of shocks they use on the skyjacker lifts? like this one -

kinda
skyjacker dont make gear for the navara/frontier by the looks of it.

the eye to eye coil overs are a coil conversion for a solid diff it takes away the need to run a coil and a shock seperatly taking up more room and does it all in one.

you can get hat to eye coil overs with remote reseriors for the front they make them for the hilux so they should make them somewhere for the d40

Im not really sure of exactly how much extra travel you would gain BUT i did see one of the Frontier forum members that cut the shock mounts off the diff and rotated them around to a higher position on the diff housing, and the other advantage is it gets the shock and the mount away from hitting rocks and crap.

I will try and find a link to his build thread, his got a pretty awesome truck, it started out with a "cal" 5" kit and ended up with the Titan swap.

Im not really sure of exactly how much extra travel you would gain BUT i did see one of the Frontier forum members that cut the shock mounts off the diff and rotated them around to a higher position on the diff housing, and the other advantage is it gets the shock and the mount away from hitting rocks and crap.

I will try and find a link to his build thread, his got a pretty awesome truck, it started out with a "cal" 5" kit and ended up with the Titan swap.

without moving the top mount you would end up with less up travel to where it would be non existant.

To get shocks made to suit you could try Glenn at Radflo in the US. He knows our trucks pretty well and should be able to suggest something fit for purpose.

I had wondered how hard it would be to install the complete cradle rear end from an R51.That could improve things

without moving the top mount you would end up with less up travel to where it would be non existant.

You seem to know way more then I do, BUT I dont think so your not moving the mount that much and this bloke has too much up travel so he had to cut the guards then when he starts running 35's he extends the bump stops so his set up is obviously working as you will see in his pics the 33 are right up in the guards.

If you want to have a look at the bloke from the states build, here is a link.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/frontyfans-frontier-53033/

Check out pages 5, 8 , 10 for flex pics ect, but the whole thread is a good read.

Oh and he is running a different rear diff from memory but the mounts seem the same.

you cant make lifted leafs flex, period, look at any lifted leaf setup up and they run minamal leafs, minimal lifte, the less arch in the spring the better, more arch will also induce axle wrap ( wheel hop or tramping as its known)

to make leafs flex youll want soft and bugger all leafs,longer main leaf, get some longer shakles, alcan orbital eye bushes, invert the shox and some lengthy brake lines, down falls to flex leafs, cant carry any weight,

heres the bushings

http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm

you can use revelver shakle, progressive shakles, climax, superior twisty ones, they all work well, suzuki and jeep guys have been using them for years, alot of yanks use them

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/frontier-revolver-shackles-p-4611.html

I cut and rotated mine and it works a lot better now more down travel now mine has a 3inch though, it was just to hard to find and match a longer shock at least this way i can still get any brand of shock with a 2 inch lift and put it in.

You seem to know way more then I do, BUT I dont think so your not moving the mount that much and this bloke has too much up travel so he had to cut the guards then when he starts running 35's he extends the bump stops so his set up is obviously working as you will see in his pics the 33 are right up in the guards.

If you want to have a look at the bloke from the states build, here is a link.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/frontyfans-frontier-53033/

Check out pages 5, 8 , 10 for flex pics ect, but the whole thread is a good read.

Oh and he is running a different rear diff from memory but the mounts seem the same.

pretty sure fronty fan is also running longer main leafs and having the titan swap in the front to get the front working better will help the rear too, his car is a real sweet setup

I cut and rotated mine and it works a lot better now more down travel now mine has a 3inch though, it was just to hard to find and match a longer shock at least this way i can still get any brand of shock with a 2 inch lift and put it in.

Well there you go, i thought that would be the case.

you should put a build thread of yours up mate

reading through old mates build thread once he moved the bottom shock mount up he needed to run a smaller shock which would limit down travel, without moving the top mount up you will gain a bit more down travel by using standerd 2" shocks but you will still be bottle necked by your spring without adding a drop shackle or other products oh and you will also lose the up travel to the point of non existance, standerd lift kit shock dont have that much travel.

good read tho wish we could run titan swap here in aus.

turbo do you like the calminikit with the coilovers and uca's, worth it?

Last edited:
reading through old mates build thread once he moved the bottom shock mount up he needed to run a smaller shock

I havnt read the whole thread for a long time, BUT didnt he say that he wanted to go a smaller shock along with the bigger bump stops because he wanted to reduce the amount of travel due to running the 35" tyres as he was having problems with scrubbing the tyres on the tub, even after he cut the guards ???.

turbo do you like the calminikit with the coilovers and uca's, worth it?

hey mate, yeap love it, handles and rides great, no noises, the coil overs were the best bit

i started off with the cal kit and 2" tuff dogs and it wasnt half the car it is now with the coil overs

the only down side to the whole setup would be the slight loss of ground clearence from the cal cross members other than that cant recommend it enough

hey mate, yeap love it, handles and rides great, no noises, the coil overs were the best bit

i started off with the cal kit and 2" tuff dogs and it wasnt half the car it is now with the coil overs

the only down side to the whole setup would be the slight loss of ground clearence from the cal cross members other than that cant recommend it enough

that slight lose would be stuff all once you add the lifted coil overs and i need more ramp up/over and departure.

that slight lose would be stuff all once you add the lifted coil overs and i need more ramp up/over and departure.

for sure, i havent even screwed mine up yet, it will be next to nothing when i do, i just took my canopy off so the rear is heaps higher so now i have an excuse to wind the front up and level it out, should be sweet then!!!!

well its been done!!!!! overkill eng in australia have converted front and rear to coilovers. looks awesome and decent flex, heres some pics from their facebook page.

Attachments

• overkill eng.jpg
    overkill eng.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 97
  • overkill eng 1.jpg
    overkill eng 1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 102
  • overkill eng 2.jpg
    overkill eng 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 85
  • overkill eng 3.jpg
    overkill eng 3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 87
couple more with a better view, have seen this truck around on the forums knew the front was sas'd didnt know the back was coils.

Attachments

• overkill 4.jpg
    overkill 4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 80
  • overkill end 5.jpg
    overkill end 5.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back