New shocks when winding up torsion bars?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive got a 1997 D22 navara single cab. Im thinking about lifting it 2". Ive heard of people just buying 2" extended shackles for the rear and then just winding up the torsion bars about 2" so it levels out, and obviously a wheel allignment after. Just wonder, will i need to buy new longer shocks or will the stock ones be able to stretch and be fine?

Appreciate some good advice and tips guys :)

Being that the amount of travel doesn't change with winding torsion bars up or down (you can only go as far as the bump stops let you ) the standard shock length will be fine on the front. Rear might be different but i think standard would be alright there.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Ive got a 1997 D22 navara single cab. Im thinking about lifting it 2". Ive heard of people just buying 2" extended shackles for the rear and then just winding up the torsion bars about 2" so it levels out, and obviously a wheel allignment after. Just wonder, will i need to buy new longer shocks or will the stock ones be able to stretch and be fine?

Appreciate some good advice and tips guys :)
You would do better putting a set of ironman springs 40mm lift rather than 50mm shackles "illegal", then crank up the front. Remember the more you lift the front with stock uca's the less downward travel you will have. But standard shocks will be ok.

Last edited:
Ok cheers guys, I didnt actually know that extended shackles were illegal. I might go for putting higher springs in the back then wounding up the front or just get a full proper lift kit.

I'd go that way to start with... 2 inch shackles won't give you a 2 inch lift anyway because of the way they work, you will only get around 1 inch out of it...

If they are still the stock shocks in there they will be well and truly dead by now lol, so it'd be worth changing the lot...

Yep... extended shackles and lift blocks are illegal in every state as far as I'm aware...

Considering zordo can get you a kit with shocks, springs, greasable pins and shackles for around the same price I'd be going that way...

Head down the page to the vendors section and he has a suspension thread in there...

Or send a pm to zordo, spelt just like that

Hi guys. I recently had a 2 inch lift which was a full dobinson setup with new bushes, greasable shackles, including new torsions too. Due to carrying tools and towing a boat on a regular basis I also opted for the 300kg beefed up rear suspension. I have noticed a considerable amount of lift all round and would like to wind up the torsion bars more to level the car slightly more. Anyone have any opinions on this.Car drives great and was also wheel aligned when lift was done. Any feedback appreciated. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back