New ST, no go in 1st

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yammysj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally wore out our Prado and bought a new ST Navara (Manual), I have read this forum back to front and basically expect the clutch to let go but will replace it with a heavy duty when this happens.

My main gripe with the car is the lack of power in 1st gear, as we have a 20ft caravan you can imagine what it is like.

I have read a lot of different posts etc on power chips, EGR mods, etc, just thought i would see if anyone has had the same whinge and what they have done to over come it.

I am looking at a CHIP IT power chip and Exhaust,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rhys

I think one of the best improvements for down low grunt would be a higher flowing exhaust from the dump pipe onwards. That way the turbo can spool up easier.
I have heard a lot of good reviews of the Chipit Chip, some people even said if they were to start over with mods it would be first on the list.

Also Welcome mate.

I found egr mod (in my d22) made the lag bearable. But as others have said chip and exhaust are really the solution.

A chip will help but still wont be perfect.

Sorry to say but the problem is the high gear ratios used in the D40's that is why most people that buy one for towing opt for the auto

probz shouldve gotten an auto, exaust, egr block, intercooler upgrade and a chipit will help but it will still be shit for towing

Hi all,

I finally wore out our Prado and bought a new ST Navara (Manual), I have read this forum back to front and basically expect the clutch to let go but will replace it with a heavy duty when this happens.

My main gripe with the car is the lack of power in 1st gear, as we have a 20ft caravan you can imagine what it is like.

I have read a lot of different posts etc on power chips, EGR mods, etc, just thought i would see if anyone has had the same whinge and what they have done to over come it.

I am looking at a CHIP IT power chip and Exhaust,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rhys

gearing is the problem, not lack of power...

an auto tranny would have been a better choice if your towing

don't forget d40's where remapped by nissan to have less power down low to try and save the clutch. should be a write up somewhere on it.

I know the auto probably would have been the better choice, but i just couldnt bring myself to buying one, after driving a mates RX, it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Just thought i would see if anyone else had improved the same problem and how they went about it, eg, is a chip and exhaust worth the outlay?

I have spoken to a couple of mates that have hiluxes and tritions, they all have the same problem,

Thanks everyone for the constructive input so far.

don't forget d40's where remapped by nissan to have less power down low to try and save the clutch. should be a write up somewhere on it.

yeah,
but the d22 power is a fair bit less than the d40 also,
but 1st gear is an issue as well

The D22 isn't any better I have the chipit chip and recommend them, the EGR mod is a must. No matter what you do the gearing is shit. I tow a 18ft van and engage low range when i'm reversing caravan or even driving up some caravan parks that have steep entries. The chip has made a huge difference to power and fuel economy just not down low as we need it. Did the Prado tow your van comfortably?

sorry all, i have been busy travelling up the east coast, i had a morepower chip & exhaust fitted while i was home, gave it a fair bit more power on boost but still same problem off the bottom.

Prado towed the van easier because it was an auto, and also 4.0L V6, but thirsty.

I also hired a 1.6T Excavator while i was home and picked it up with my Navara, and towed it back with the old mans D22, D40 definitely towed that alot easier.

I was talking to a bloke in Brisbane caravan park yesterday, and he has the 140kw St-X and still has the same problem as myself, he seemed to think that Nissan can re-program the variable vains on the turbo to come on boost basically off of idle, maybe worth asking the question on my next service.

If i fitted a boost gauge would be easier to tell when the turbo starts to create boost.

Anyway i was also thinking of getting rid of this ST and getting a 550, any comments/opinions also welcome on this.

Cheers Rhys

Latest posts

Back