New steel rims with Hancook 265 75 16 mud tyres shaking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone has had issues with steel rims causing shakes in the car due to them not having locating rings like alloys. The reason I ask is that I just had a set of Hancook mud tyres fitted on steel sun raisers and now I have an out of balance feeling when driving, mainly at highway speeds. Have taking them back twice already for a re balance and what I was told was that nissans always have problems with steel rims causing vibrations.
Any help would be good. It's very frustrating.

what do you mean by locating rings? Are you talking about the tapered rings in the nut section or the axel/hub ring?
Nissan doesn't have a problem with steel rims the rx comes from factory with steelies. that's crap they are telling you to blow you off.
Is there much weight's on the rims? a lot of lead weights points to crap rims or poor tyres.
What brand rims are they?

KrazyKyle;286238 Have taking them back twice already for a re balance and what I was told was that nissans always have problems with steel rims causing vibrations. Any help would be good. It's very frustrating.[/QUOTE said:
think he has his hand on it, my sunny's are as smooth as the original alloys

Yeah I had an alignment just before they were fitted because I had fitted calmini uca's. After I had taken them back to where they were fitted the first time and it still was shaking I took my car to another reputable tyre place and they told me that the problem with sun raiser rims is that u can't get locating rings that locate the rim onto the hub properly and he also looked at the amount of weights and said that the amount of weight fitted wasn't excessive. So then I took it back to where I bought them and they rebalanced them again and tried to tell me that nissans are a pain for vibrations which sounds like crap to me. I think that they are csa rims as they have Csa071013 stamped on them.

Aftermarket, I have calmini uca, tjm shocks, ome torsion bars, greaseable shackles and pins, steering damper etc. The only other thing that I thought could be causing it but wouldn't have thought it would Is that I have tjm xgs front shocks and the lower bushes are stuffed. Currently waiting to get new bushes as apparently the bushes are pressed in. But it seams a coincidence that the shakes only started when I put the new rims and tyres on. :(

Maybe it's a bad tyre. The second tyre place I went to said they have a machine there that can test tyres for any inconsistencies. But it's $25 per tyre which I shouldn't have to pay. Aah well might have to bite the bullet and get the tyres tested at least then ill know if its the rims or the tyres

May as well. Process of elimination. I know two blokes with CSA steelies and have no probs. im racking my brain trying to think of something that it could be.

Do you get vibration from the get go or at a certain speed?

It could well be the rims. Nothing wrong with steelies. However it's possible if the hole for the hub in the center of the wheel is to large for the lip on the outer face of hub it will not center the wheel. It should be a nice tight interference fit. Really the wheel nuts are there for stopping the wheel fall off and giving clamping force the to flange face of the hub for driving and braking force. Having the weight of the vehicle only supported by the wheel studs is not ideal.

Try jacking up the truck, undo the wheel nuts put a bar under the wheel to take the weight of the wheel getting it as center as possible then slowly and sequentially (opposites) tighten the wheel nuts in stages. See if that gives you any better results. It could be the wheel nuts to. The right tapper on the wheel nuts is crucial. It helps center it.

I have seen some mag wheels come with a machined cylindrical shim or even ABS plastic to take up the gap between the hub lip and diameter of the center hole in the wheel.

From what I have heard Hankooks balance up well. I know my AT-M's did with very little weight. I think they are an underrated tyre. You could be unlucky tho.

Last edited:
Only get vibration at about 80 and over. I have tried jacking up the car removing the wheel and then slowly in a star pattern tightening the studs while spinning the tyre and it didn't make a difference. With the way the rims are the whole weight of the car is supported by the studs because there is a bit of a gap between the hub and the rim. Hmmm might even try new wheel nuts. I'll see how it goes got a few things to try and narrow down. Thanks

Damper?
Get someone to drive beside you at speed, it'll be obvious if it is.

I thought it was illegal to fit rims that don't seat tightly on the hub. the wheel nuts should not support the vehicle. the only application where it is legal is on trailers. this might be a problem 4 u if you have an insurance claim.

Latest posts

Back