New To The Forum- Need Help Please!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamskill

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Im Adam. Im currently in the market for a dual cab diesel ute. Ive come from a long line of Nissan imports, including S13 Silvia, R32 GTS-T Skyline, R33 GTS-T Skyline, and an R32 GT-R.

Im at the point now where I'd still like a vehicle I can modify (it must be an illness...:sarcastic: ) but is more practical than a small Jap import, and I can still get the Mrs and passengers around in it if I need to.

I live in Brisbane, and I have next to no offroad experience so in all honesty, the ute wont get a massive amount of offroad use,...BUT, in time I would really like to change that!

You guys will probably hate me for saying this, but my goal is to build a ute that looks tough as nails, and is nice and high, is still comfortable to drive every day in the city, and long highway drives, but can handle some dirt if it needs to.

At the moment im looking at either D-Max, Colorado/Rodeo, or Navara.

Im just not sure as to the main differences of the D40 and D22? and which would be better suited to my needs.

Nice to meet you guys, and thanks for any feedback you may have!

Cheers Adam

Gday and welcome to the forum, mate i would suggest having a read through the forum or use the search function, if you have no luck try the ADVANCED SEARCH, its next to the SEARCH bubble.
The reason i say this is that this exact question has been raised many times and the threads that were created have masses of info already for you to read.
You will have to sort through all the in house fighting over which is better D22 or D40, BUT only you can decide which one is most suited to your needs.

Good luck,
Nathan

Cheers guys.

I had a search, I couldn't really find what I was after.

I gather that the D22 is slightly smaller, and "less premium" (no offence intended) than the D40, but they share the same 2.5 diesel engine, is this correct? From what i've seen, it seems that alot more blokes on the forum have D22's?

Welcome to the forum.

The D22 doesn't have a lot of passenger room in the back - it's shorter by about 175mm and when you're packing adults into the car that's quite a difference. The D22 isn't very easy to squeeze baby capsules in either.

The D22's wheelbase is a little shorter than the D40 (by about 100-200mm - it's not a huge amount). This wheelbase difference affects the ramp-over angle - if you're not clambering over sharp rises or rocks there's no point worrying about this. The D40 has a slightly wider wheeltrack so it's more stable on inclinations (but again, the difference is marginal anyway).

The engines are SIMILAR. They aren't the same. The D22 is slightly better on economy around town but revs harder on the highway, so the gap between the two closes there, and if touring is your thing then you'll look at the D40 for its (much) more comfortable interior.

The D40 manual (for now) comes with a dual mass flywheel. This is a pain in the tush, you will tear your hair out over it. The auto is far more suited to towing and cruising, and doesn't perform badly off-road either.

The D22 is considerably cheaper than the D40 as well - you don't get the extra bits for nothing, and that may be an influence in the numbers. It is a ute, after all, and you don't go forking out extra coin just so you can smack 20L paint tins into the side of the tub and reverse into the scaffolding knocking people down onto your roof.

Don't let the banter between the different drivers confuse you. The cars are very similar in ability in all arenas (except towing where the extra power does help the D40 significantly). The D40 has about 30% more power, extra room, much nicer seats and this comes with a much bigger price tag - that's the sum total of it.

The Rodeo is junk, compared to the Colorado and the Colorado is a nice try at being a D40 but doesn't quite make it. The D-Max is not bad but lacks the polish of the Navara. The Colorado, D-Max and Navara all have 3T towing where the Rodeo is something like 2.1T. Regardless of which one you choose, they all have issues - take a look through Complaints Corner, and http://www.recalls.gov.au for some interesting reading.

Good luck with your choice.

Mate i have had both and they are both great utes, BUT totally differant.

D22 is shorter, has less room especially in the back, has a torsion bar front end, has less bells and whistles like blue tooth, steering wheel controls,cruise control ect, it does have basically the same motor but totally different cylinder head + turbo + ECU ect D22 has Less then 100kw D40 has 140kw.

The D22 has better ramp over due to its chassis being a bit high and the shorter wheel base.

The d40 has a higher towing capacity at 3 tonne.

The list goes on and on, But in the end you should go to a dealer and take both out for a run.

As for moding them there is probably more options now for the d40 to really lift it up and get massive rubber on it, NOW that doesnt mean that the drive line was meant for massive rubber and will handle the extra strain, but you can do it...
There are a few guys on here that have put calmini 5" lift with 2" lift then a 2"body lift so they can run 35" tyres looks awesome but would not think it would handle heavy off road use.

check out some garages and see what you think. See if you can find "VANGUARD" his ute is huge!!

Adam,
You need to do what I did thats make up a spread sheet with all the things you get in a Nissan and tick off what the other makes dont have. Nissan either 4 or V6 diesels have more power and torque than any one else for starters.
Thats how I compared them all
The word around the traps about Colorados stay well clear of them.
Good luck with your choice.

Tony, Nathan & Pete,

Guys, thanks very much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

That was exactly the info I was after.

I have been an avid member on the Nissan Skyline forums for the last 8 or so years, and its so nice to just get decent feed back, with no smart ass answers from kids with no idea!!

I believe, at this point, that the D40 is probably the ute for me. The D22 is probably more in my budget, but space in the back seat is something that is important to me, but as you said quite rightly Nathan, untill i get to a dealer and test both, I wont know.

At the moment, this is the sort of thing I have my eye on.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...4963086 1622 1246 1247 1252&silo=Stock&eapi=2

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...4963086 1622 1246 1247 1252&silo=Stock&eapi=2

Cheers Adam

The second one is closer to fully-fitted for touring, with the HIDs and snorkel already fitted, and a Rhino liner instead of the plastic tub liner which can cause issues (dirt underneath = abrasion of paint = rust).

They are both manual D40s and will probably have dual mass flywheels in them. Add the cost of replacing it with an Exedy HD clutch and single-mass flywheel (plus new pressure plate, and make sure they balance the flywheel/pressure plate combo before installation).

If I was shopping for one and those two were the finalists, I'd probably go the second one. No idea why it's cheaper, with less km on it - but I'd be diving into that one and then taking it around to have its flywheel ripped out.

in the the end, they are two different vehicles...

they really arent comparable and they are not put in the same class of vehicle by the manufacturer.

most importantly to remember, the '22 is a workhorse class vehicle and not a family vehicle.

Latest posts

Back