Some issues with my d40...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaceV

Reaction score
Some issues with my d40... EDIT: Now with videos

Hi guys, new user here.

Im familiar with forums and how helpful they can be, Ive been a member of hot4s, silvia nsw, skylinesaus (back in my sports car days)

But the time had come to purchase a work ute for my trade.

So here I'am with my 2008 d40 stx, which ive had for about 8 months and 128,000kms.

The first problem started not long after I bought it from a dealer, typical, and then a couple more over the next few months, they are as follows;

1- I get a loud clangy knock when I take off from a stand still sometimes, noise comes from under the vehicle. My clutch is worn if that helps.

2- When I initially start my ute I can literally put my foot to the floor with the accelerator, and the revs wont move. Then sometimes its fine, then sometimes it is still a bit hesitant. And yes I do glow it properly.

3- Ticking on start up, comes from the turbo side but goes away when engine is warm.

4- weird noise when I back the revs off and it hits about 1600rpm. Its hard to describe it, once again not all the time, its like a buzzing sound but its mixed in with a turbo/diff whine. Im guessing a muffler is gone?.

Overall these problems aren't always consistent, although they shit me when it does happen.

Any help would be great, thanks,

Last edited:
id be checking your uni's for the loud clangy noise on take off. you could clean your maf sensor with contact cleaner (its in ur airbox). as for the other problems, i dunno. hard to diagnose without hearing it. have you checked your exhaust for leaks. try taking the muffler off and just puting in a piece of pipe.

ok thanks. I know it is hard to describe. Ive got the mechanics looking at it at the end of the week anyway, and then to the delearship if no problems are fixed.

ill clean the maf too.

just be careful with maf sensor. dont touch any of the diodes . just clean and let dry, then put back in

thanks, nucking futs, good to know. I always thought the turbo was noisy but ive had petrol turbos and im not sure if they should sound similar in their ways.

But something does make a definite whine, my work mate has the same model but with a snorkel and chip. Cant hear no whines on his.

Sounds like a boost leak for the lack of revs. Check all the hoses for perishment or loosness, also you may have a suction control valve playing up. Have a search for those two mate it's an easy fix. Not sure about the banging noise though.

Check the exhaust manifold gasket. They have a habit of blowing on these motors and its not easy to see. Mine has just been done and the manifold was 1.6mm warped so had it machined. It made all sorts of strange noises. Its made a world of difference. Now the exhaust actually gets to the turbo! Also check the egr pipe for leaks and splits, another common issue. Re the clang, my guess is uni joint or diff backlash. Perhaps transfer box?

I have two videos with my issues.

This one, issue 3 [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnpxvFWYRQ8&feature=youtu.be[/YT] shows the ticking/clicking noise. Not as bad as the other day though. I cant tell wether its coming from near the alternator or around turbo area.

This one, issue 4 [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UmXd7OAxfU&feature=youtu.be[/YT] shows the whine at the start, (maybe normal) and at the end you'll hear that other noise as I back off.

I listened twice with headphones , have the mechanic use a stethoscope to find the noise and check the engine mounts. It did appear to idle rough. As for the whine it sounds like turbo whistle, if you have a snorkel it will be louder.

Hi John, yea it is hard to hear. It was louder the other day.

It is rough when its started first thing.

with that rattle noise, if you remove your drive belt and then run the engine you will be able to rule out the alt if its still there

The rattle sound could be air. My own airbox split open and made a similar sound. It could also be turbo vanes. If they're not opening properly you'll have poor performance, sluggish response and poor economy - plus some smoke (the manual D40s never had a DPF). Check the operation of the turbocharger's actuator - there's a little arm underneath that should move in and out of the turbo by about 3-5mm at idle. If it's not moving at all, your vacuum hoses might be leaking, or the vac solenoid (up near the intercooler on the turbo side near the headlight) may have failed.

The whine is definitely turbo, and might be making that noise because of stuck vanes. Might also have a boost leak - if you don't have a catch can, you'll have a black spray of oil around the piping in there, look for the source and you'll find the leak.

The odd sound as you back off could be air pressure bleeding off. It would be extremely interesting to see the result of a Go-Pro mounted under the bonnet as you accelerate up a hill as hard as possible from 1200rpm to 4500rpm (where the turbo is only just spinning up to its maximum revs). I am wondering here if there's any ballooning of the turbo-pressured hoses. Check the hoses low down on the outlet of the intercooler too. More than likely the ones on the engine hot side go, but there's always a chance the others can let go too.

Thanks guys, the mechanic has it at the moment so ill post what he has to say. Ill do those checks this weekend when I do the egr mod.

I got it back today. As I thought he didnt notice/hear that buzzing noise.

The ticking/clicking sound is coming from either the alternator or around the air-con condenser.

I asked about some additives and he gave me a bottle of penrite enviro + DPF cleaner. I add that at every service.

He also said to change my driving habits, give it more stick!

To tell you the truth Im thinking of selling it for the V6 model, all I needed my navara for is to cart my tool trailer (Im a builder) and to cart my future kids in.
And I dont go 4wd at all either.

Latest posts

Back