New truck time thinking out aloud here...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

180degrees

Reaction score
So I have been looking at getting myself a new truck been driving the hilux's in TD, hated the manual just felt all wrong, quite impressed with the auto but still very expensive for even an SR and I have to deal with all the issues the 1KD has (injectors, blocked oil pickups, EGR system that clogs easily ect). So then today I saw a dealer advertising D22 single cabs for $28k drive away for ABN holders (I don't have an ABN so I'll have to likely pay a little more) cheapest hilux single cab chassis in auto 4x4 I could get was about $42500 in QLD.

Now I started thinking I love my current D22 but would like something faster and I know the YD25 is transformed quite a bit with a steinbauer chip and beaudesert exhaust also it has a GVM of just 1.55T (tray is about 135kg), plus theres a shitload of mods for them. Basically this is a do you think this would all go together thread.

The car: Black SC/C D22 4x4

The mods:
  • Steinbauer chip
  • Beaudesert exhaust
  • Color coded flares and bonnet scoop and STR chrome grille
  • 2+2 lift (bilstein/Koni and EFS springs and Zordo bodylift)
  • 285/75R16 KM2
  • MT classic 2 wheels 0 offset
  • Tripple M alloy tray
  • Nissan DX style towbar
  • TJM type 15 Alloy bullbar
  • Driving lights, probably cheap lightforce ones more for looks :S
  • Maybe a Aldi winch
  • possibly a nissan snorkel

The mockup:
NavaraD22_DX4X2SINGLECCGPALLOYTRAY_NAVARAS2YM5DXCosmicBlack_zps67dc901a.jpg

What do you guys think? works out about $10k cheaper then the lux with way more mods plus less shit to break, will be used mainly for the beach/fraser/moreton islands and I want to get into doing some tracks.

cheers.

if anyone wants to know I was basically going to copy this hilux for a buildup

Drive it and see what you think. My boss has one and nobody will drive it. Shakes the hell out a ya. Put weight in it and its a bit better.
Maybe your suspension upgrade will fix that?

G'day mate a good friend of mine had the exact same plans apart from the aldi winch,he couldn't see the point where for another 1k he could get a duel cab.Now his theory was he has a large 8 by 5 trailer to move anything large but getting shopping or going beach in bad weather nowhere for his gear.He went for another duel cab for 1K more and put the money into the mods he felt the duel cab was better value for money also the s/c shook him to bits sorry for the long rant and of course it's someone elses opinion
But this was the exact same thoughts he had and the direction he went in.

Plenty of single cabs running around in all brands, comes down to wether you need a dual cab or not. And the mock up photo came up well

G'day mate a good friend of mine had the exact same plans apart from the aldi winch,he couldn't see the point where for another 1k he could get a duel cab.Now his theory was he has a large 8 by 5 trailer to move anything large but getting shopping or going beach in bad weather nowhere for his gear.He went for another duel cab for 1K more and put the money into the mods he felt the duel cab was better value for money also the s/c shook him to bits sorry for the long rant and of course it's someone elses opinion
But this was the exact same thoughts he had and the direction he went in.
Money has nothing to do with it, I have a DC now, personally would rather a SC, I think they look better when done up.
Drive it and see what you think. My boss has one and nobody will drive it. Shakes the hell out a ya. Put weight in it and its a bit better.
Maybe your suspension upgrade will fix that?
Yea that was my concern, the bilsteins do a good job but theres only so much you can do on a SC thats not weighted down, if i get the hilux I was thinking of getting a color coded steel tray but Toyota want $3500 for their entry level one and $4000 for the HD one :pissedoff:
hilux would be a better choice.
The hilux still has its fair share of problems, truth be told the V6 in 4.0 is more reliable than the 3.0 D4D but I talked to a dealer yesterday who told me only buy one if you plan on keeping it forever as you lose about $6000 in resale value when you drive out the door.
Plenty of single cabs running around in all brands, comes down to wether you need a dual cab or not. And the mock up photo came up well
Thanks Dave.

Last edited:
stick with a steel tray, The extra weight gives a better ride. The alloy tray on my dual cab made for a rough ride, it was way to light and only rode comfortably when the canopy was on as well.

Save yourself some money and apply for an ABN online.Very simple to do just don,t put the GST component in it.Go as a sole trader and get the ABN holders discount.

The car yard has aways asked if i am registered for tax not just do i have a registered ABN, im pretty sure you have to be registered for the GST to get the discount.

I registered for abn and no gst. That's all they need. Can do it in your own name, no need for a business name either.

pretty sure thats committing tax fraud guys.

Thought about a King Cab? Squeeze a couple of bods in the back or gear that will survie better in the Air Cond. and still have a reasonable tray.
Not a huge fan of extra cabs, plus the hilux is only manual in them and the D22 is not made in one, just seems a bit crazy having one, compromise tray length for some dicky seats and compromise back seats for a slightly longer tray then the dual cabs.

Last edited:
the dicky seats do come in handy if not to squeeze a person in `you can trow your cloths/swag/fishing gear/ esky/tools or what ever you like in it stays dry/dust free and locked away from thieving little scumbags

king kab, forget it even has rear seats, and you have room for your subs, fridge, swag, sleeping bag etc etc, and they stay dry. but it wont be as cheap as a single cab

yea I'll hit em up for it (the ABN discount) see if I can do something like the D22 STR deal where you pay $500 more.

just on the gst thing, you only have to register for gst if you earn over $75000 a year, if you earn less than that you dont need it

pretty sure thats committing tax fraud guys.

Not a huge fan of extra cabs, plus the hilux is only manual in them and the D22 is not made in one, just seems a bit crazy having one, compromise tray length for some dicky seats and compromise back seats for a slightly longer tray then the dual cabs.

Had a dual cab previously. I intentionally brought a king cab, Maybe I am crazy.

Rarely I carriied paxs in the back although somtimes did over short journeys but always wanting for extra cargo space. KC seemed like a good solution. The best part is, the sesnative gear, Fridge, all personal effects, clothing, ultrabook, camera, chargers... live inside the A/C'd cab, rest in a realatively dust free tub. Maybe it dosn't look so macho but it works for me.

If you find a good dealer, sales wise that is. They will do the ABN price for non ABN custormers. Mine did. In fact he done better than that. Service is another story tho.

If you disregard the transmission options a D22 is a long way from a Hilux both both in price and refinement. Not knocking the D22 it's a good thing for the money. You just don't want to do a long interstae trip in it:)

Back