New turbo???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustStock..

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum praying for some guidance..
Please help!

I drive an 05 d22 3lt, stock as they come.
I was driving along fine, then the compressor wheel in my turbo went bang snapped in half. I need some advice about what to do obviously I need to replace it but who has a spare $1600 lying around. I'm thinking the cheapest way out would be a Chinese shitter off eBay for $360 and googling how to put it on? Would the engine or turbo need a tune?
Or would it be better to try to find a second hand one at the wreckers or off gumtree?
Or do I just have to bite the bullet $$$:shotgun:
I'm looking for the cheapest way out with out stuffing my ute, I've had her 7yrs and this is it's FIRST EVER problem it had to be a major one lol :violin2:
I hope someone has had some experience with this and can share a bit of knowledge with me.
Thanks for reading cheers Ben.

Bad luck, mate. Have a look at Forefront Industries turbos. He's a member on here and quite a few guys are running his turbos and are very happy. Do you have an intercooler fitted? Hope no bits of your compressor wheel made their way into the engine.

Last edited:
^ Ben has summed it up nicely. Welcome to the forum.

I don't know that I'd want to rely on a "Chinese shitter" (sounds like a portaloo in Tiananmen Square). Forefront's turbo impellers aren't cast, they're billet-cut so they're stronger and from all reports that I've heard, better than the original (faster spool times = less lag).

The only other alternative is to get a turbo from a wrecked car and hope that the innards are still intact. You'd have to weigh up the savings there with the risk attached to having a totally unknown quantity in terms of lifespan and treatment (check the FAQs on this site for more) versus a brand new unit.

Ben's point about the intercooler shouldn't be overlooked either. If you DO have ALL of the pieces of the impeller then you're very lucky. Because the impeller is usually cast, when it lets go it usually fragments - and the chunks head straight for the motor. An intercooler would catch those chunks. If any make it to your engine, it's a costly rebuild, with at the very least head damage, but also possible valve, valve seat, valve guide, piston crown, bore, conrod, big ends and even crankshaft damage from a chunk that stops the piston reaching TDC while the engine is still trying to turn over.

Thanks guys.. I haven't got an intercooler, and when it blew I was 30kms from home, no money, with a 4day old newborn son I just pick up from the hospital, so I had to take the gamble and drove it home, I tried to stay under 1500 revs, and I was checking oil as I went, we made it home.. Do you guys think I could of effed it? Any advice on what to do next? Should I take the turbo off? I found a turbo on gumtree for 400, if I swapped them over, and drop oil ect, and if everything went my way, would I be fine? Or would I need complete dune from a diesel mech afterwards?
I'm so out of my depth as you can tell lol, I'm a good Brickie not much of a mechanic!
Cheers Ben

You won't need a tune for a straight turbo swap, the only concern is have any broken bits of the turbo gone in the intake manifold and in to the cylinder. There's no easy way of finding out, but you made it 30km home so you might be lucky.

daaaanm lucky... howdy fella!
I have a standard one that has 250'000 ks on it you could have..nothing wrong with it ! or do what I did before I set off on my travels and grab a Forefront one.. great price and noticeable drive change, 3rd 4th are a treat now but grab yourself a boost adjuster so you can tweak ya' boost.... broombrrooom:) cheers Vic

Hey just stock, james here i see u live in perth mate id be happy to help you change ya turbo if u aquire one i dont want nothing at all just happy to help ya out as iv changed turbos in mine a few times it would save you some coin from gettin bent over at mechanics see how ya go

seems like your looking for the cheapest way out as you mentioned to get another turbo going. no doubt the cheapest way would be to buy the Ebay special and bolt it straight on but you really don,t know just how good the quality is even though they look the part , the materials used in the making of could be weak. next option could be buying the impellor / fan part unit [whatever its called ] and fit this to your existing turbo housing. next option could be buying a complete turbo from a wreck and have it checked out before fitting.
last and really the best option would be to buy an aftermarket brand such as Forefront, this way you know for sure reliability will be there for some time.
sometime its a hard call when funds are not up to scratch but maybe sell something to buy the good gear. the missus :rofl2:

I know it's pretty silly putting a secondhand one on, but funds are scarce at the moment. Old mate viczd30 might be able to help me out I hope.
Do forefront do missus to turbo swaps? Mines a bit phyco and covered in tattoos.. I WILL HAPPILY PAY AN EXCESS. :rofl2:

Latest posts

Back