Newbie from S/E Melb

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Brett and welcome to the forum.
I used the forum a lot when I started to build my but mainly you just have to think at what you need rather than what you want or what the big marketing game wants you to have (if it make sense).
There will be a 4x4 show in Melbourne soon, it's the best place to compare products and struck good deals, good luck!
You buy what you pay for but you don't need the top of top for everything.
Cheers
Max

G'day Brett and welcome to the forum.
I used the forum a lot when I started to build my but mainly you just have to think at what you need rather than what you want or what the big marketing game wants you to have (if it make sense).
There will be a 4x4 show in Melbourne soon, it's the best place to compare products and struck good deals, good luck!
You buy what you pay for but you don't need the top of top for everything.
Cheers
Max

Cheers mgermasi, absolutely agree on not needing top brands for everything, I was very fortunate to have been helped with pricing with ARB! Before this assistance I was close to going with Ironman, and will most likely shop around at the show for some underbody armour and other extras. Mind you according to the handbrake, I've already spent enough to last a while, haha.
How do you find the Auto trans Offroad mgermasi, my last 4wd was manual, and am a bit unsure how mine will go, never driven auto Offroad before?

Cheers mgermasi, absolutely agree on not needing top brands for everything, I was very fortunate to have been helped with pricing with ARB! Before this assistance I was close to going with Ironman, and will most likely shop around at the show for some underbody armour and other extras. Mind you according to the handbrake, I've already spent enough to last a while, haha.
How do you find the Auto trans Offroad mgermasi, my last 4wd was manual, and am a bit unsure how mine will go, never driven auto Offroad before?

Under body , Brown Davis in bayswater , beats ARB hands down

Under body , Brown Davis in bayswater , beats ARB hands down

I totally disagree,
I had a look at brown davis and yes they are good kits no denying that, but as for beating ARB plates hands down:hmmmm2:
I really didnt didnt think so, thats why i have chosen to put their plates on both of my d40,s
I think the arb plates run further back under the gear box and also have a transfer cover, the boxed in section that sits under the gearbox combined with the 3mm steel makes them super strong i have slammed both of my navs around on big rocks and no damage at all, on the old one i hit so hard i dented the chassis but NOT the plates.

The only thing i did do to the ARB plates is add a better "fish plate " where the bullbar plate meets the radiator bash plate or first section of the bash plate. other then that they do cop a absolute hiding.

Brown Davis are 3 piece and cover everything , mount way better at the front and are flat ( so you slide ) not plough , they also cover more than arb and have access holes / covers for all servicing needs , I think you must have looked at them years ago, and ive seriously looked at both up close

Last edited:
ARB do have all servicing holes, the way they bolt together is better, and flat doesnt mean better or stronger, and I have never had mine "plough" anything.
To say they "beat ARB hands down" is a massive over statement.

a few pics , you can see i use them from scratches but they are still straight and do the job really well, $700 for the lot couldnt be happier.

You will also notice how all the bolts are recessed or in behind the angled section, so even after giving them a hiding sliding over rocks and crap the bolts are in perfect condition which makes life easy if ever they do need to come off.

like i said im not saying there is anything wrong with the Brown Davis plates, just that the ARB ones aren't that bad at all IMO.

Last edited:
It's personal choice Nathan , but have a look at all the holes in them that can catch things or fill with dirt, I love surf fishing , but I don't want to bring half the beach back with me when I leave

Last edited:
It's personal choice Nathan , but have a look at all the holes in them that can catch things or fill with dirt, I love surf fishing , but I don't want to bring half the beach back with me when I leave

I dont find its a problem at all they actaully make it easier to clean, with out them the mud and crap would all sit on top any way and be harder to see and harde to get the hose in to wash off mud and crap thats got up high around the gear box ect,
last time i went through mud pits it just dint stop at the bash plates mate and haveing holes in the plates will not change anything in that regard.
I have used these plate on two navs, one did 100,000km and the new now has 42,000km and out of that i have done allot of off road stuff and the plates are AWESOME never suffered any damage where others in lux's and stuff have so i know they saved my ute.

I really rate them as good plates, maybe not the best in the universe but they work really well are imo are reasonably priced.

I will say it again tho incase you missed the first three times i said it, I am not saying brown davis dont make good gear i Just disagree with your statement that "Brown Davis beets them hands down" and "way better"

This is the reason why I'm looking forward to the 4wd show, to see like for like products Im intending to add in the future. Again really enjoy everyone's input in this forum and already has helped me gather all the different points of view in making some purchases!,
Great pics nathan22, definitely in my plans in the future.
Hey steve1961, do any of the Viccos organise day trips or events??

This is the reason why I'm looking forward to the 4wd show, to see like for like products Im intending to add in the future. Again really enjoy everyone's input in this forum and already has helped me gather all the different points of view in making some purchases!,
Great pics nathan22, definitely in my plans in the future.
Hey steve1961, do any of the Viccos organise day trips or events??

Hey navhawk , there was a few a long time ago on the Vic thread , but I haven't seen anything on the site since I've been around , maybe we should rev a few up to get something happening

Latest posts

Back