Newbie! What accessories do I need?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanish83

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Very new to the 4wd game and haven't had the pleasure of taking my 2013 ST D40 off road as yet.
Currently stock as a rock, and will look at bars, suspension down the track. I also have no accessories at all! At this stage I want to wet the whistle at Bribie Island so will only be doing sand driving.
Looking at the 4 billion options online is a little confusing so would love some suggestions at what is needed for beginner 4wding!
I have an idea it might be snatch straps, recovery points (read some time ago there are none on the D40?? is this correct?), jerry can, 12v Tyre inflator but any information would be greatly appreciated!
Apologies as I am sure this topic would have been covered before, but couldn't find anything on this thread.
Thanks!

Beach driving I would recommend. Tyre deflator and a 12v compressor. Maxii tracks or tred tracks. For beginner at least

The list is endless lol, but as above a 12v compressor is a good investment, I take mine everywhere, camping and 4wd as well as shooting, and a tyre plug/repair kit for about $40 is a great addition in my opinion. Tyre deflators are a handy tool, they are so quick. And maybe a basic recovery kit in a bag, couple of straps and shackles. I got a set of treds of my son for my birthday, havnt used them yet, but it's reasuring knowing they are there

as above, recovery points can be found at any 4x4 shop or good old ebay they will list the models they fit, the Spain built D40 which you have can carry two points either side of the chassis, just remove the factory tie down loop/anchor point first and bolt the new one up to that the other side has the same bolt holes and location.

If you have a tow bar you can buy the block that slides into the sleeve your tow ball does and it will come with a big D-shackle but if not you can simply use the existing pin and slide it through the end of the snatch strap

We have also done a "comparo" on compressors on this forum and found the "thumper "type you get from tigerz11 or super cheap auto to be very fast and work really well beating all the others including the ARB twin system that cost triple. you can pick them up for around $110.

Last edited:
I just bought a compressor from repco, 129 bucks ment to be 150L per minutes twin motor thingy. Not a bad price, think sale ends on the 4th tho.

Don't go mad with buying shit otherwise you'll end up needing a truck to carry it around.

Good advice above on what you'll need for sand, except no one mentioned a long handled shovel.

Just take it easy is probably the best accessory.

A big fridge or reliable esky for beverages is essential

And stubby holders!

light bars are awesome and are seriously sent from heaven 👌

The list will never end and will continue to get longer. Take one mod at a time and focus on what you'll be using your nav for. Happy building 👌 😊

The only thing you really need for sand work is a long handled shovel, the rest is handy but a shovel is essential it will get you out of just about everything you are likely to get stuck in on the sand with a bit of effort. Tyre deflators are great and quite cheap I would recommend an ez-deflator but a stick and a tyre gauge will do the same job. Without any suspension work I would say go for a starting pressure of around 20psi that should get you through most sand you dont want to be dragging your belly if you dont have to. Snatch straps are only good if you have another 4x4 with you at the time. Do not under any circumstances attempt to snatch using the tow ball it is very dangerous and has been known to be fatal. Tracks I have never used because I have always had my shovel handy but they seem to be the go nowadays oh and I think they can also double as a shovel. A compressor is handy but in a pinch you can slow drive to a servo if there is 1 reasonably close No faster than 40kph though. When using a compressor it will work much better with the car running I have actually seen somebody flatten their battery pumping up their tyres it was as funny as hell. When driving on sand dont try to tear around its the best way to get stuck trust me I learnt that the hard way. Generally I use a lower gear say 2nd Hi range and keep the revs just under boost that way if I need the power it is there to be had almost instantly. I hope this helps a bit I love the sand but mostly because its near the best fishing spots lol.

Oh and dont let anybody tell you that chunky tyres work better on the sand because they just dont in fact the less aggressive your tyres are the less they will dig in.

Shock absorbers. Good ones, Factory ones are crap. It will benefit you 2 ways. Off road, but just as importantly on road. Considering you will be doing most of K's on road like most if not all of us.

Oh yeah don't forget to take the esky. The rest you will learn and or work out for yourself. That can be part of the fun. You will probably work out the shock absorber thing for yourself to. Just saving you the hassle.

By the way mate, welcome to the forum there is a truck load of info here but will admit the search function needs more work or more likely the title headings created need more thought.

Back