newcastle members going to muster

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what day's you's looking at going? friday or saturday?

I was thinking friday, so I can get up there and get camp set up ready for a big day saturday.

Doesn't bother me.

Still got the Nav Craig I see.

Ill pm you as I lost you number anyway.

Hope I can get my lift kit, body lift n tyres before October or I'll be stuck on the easy track :cray:

sadly it looks like my lift,tyres and sliders will have to wait till after xmas so ile be with you on easy track,but i did manage to fit a winch this week
and i hope to get sump protection b4 trip (bloke in morriset makes em $350 3mm plate)

i was planning to leave friday??
maybee an 8 am meet in maitland ??
lunch bout 1/2 way?? (where is 1/2 way tony)

i was also planning a trip to the dubbo zoo ,maybee on sunday
at this stage ime heading home early monday

^ Sounds good. A mate lives out near Dubbo, so I might stay out there a few extra days.

The best route can be found by clicking on this link. You can print instructions, but it's dead easy. Things to watch for:

1) As you go through the Mt Thorley mines, watch for the right-hand turn that you need to take to follow the Golden Highway. It's just over the crest of a hill, it's an off-camber turn so make sure you back it off a few.

2) The hillclimbs up and over the Great Dividing Range are really bloody steep. If you're towing, be prepared to drop into second gear.

3) Do NOT EVER ONCE stop at the truck parking area just northwest of Dunedoo. We did, at night, and the place was crawling with spiders the size of your palm. You should actually turn right in the town anyway (just past the main shops), but if you decide to take a different path through Dubbo, do NOT stop at that area. It's bloody scary.

4) The Shell servo at Gilgandra is definitely there but the GPS pegs it a few hundred metres south of its actual position. You have to drive around the bend in the road and then you'll spot it.

5) The Tooraweenah turnoff from the Oxley Highway has a Driver Reviver on the corner, and the intersection is maybe 150m further north than my GPS told me. Don't worry, it's the correct turn, and a short distance down the road you should see some large cactii in the fields just to either side of the road.

Merriwa is about halfway, but if you think a bunch of rigs won't fit on the side of the road there, the rest area just out of Cassilis (Cassilis Park Rest Area, on the left as you head west) is quite a large rest area. Just make sure you take a gas mask into the toilet because sweet Mary mother of God that place makes a sewage farm smell like a Belflora outlet.

Merriwa is about halfway, but if you think a bunch of rigs won't fit on the side of the road there, the rest area just out of Cassilis (Cassilis Park Rest Area, on the left as you head west) is quite a large rest area. Just make sure you take a gas mask into the toilet because sweet Mary mother of God that place makes a sewage farm smell like a Belflora outlet.

Lol at that comment.

I used to work out at the gold mines at Cobar and go hunting in Cassilis, so I know the way to Dubbo pretty well, I could do it with my eyes closed (think I have once after dog watch) :sarcastic:
Merriwa would be about half way, there is a rest area just past the main street in merriwa.

but you would turn north at dunedoo Yeah?

the rest area across from the shops in donedoo is ok (town park area with large parking area on other side for truck n stuff), I got some sleep there one night.

Last edited:
^ I wouldn't try driving with your eyes closed. Ill take your word for it.

How often do you head out to Cassilis ? Its a beautiful area.

I used to work out at the gold mines at Cobar and go hunting in Cassilis, so I know the way to Dubbo pretty well, I could do it with my eyes closed (think I have once after dog watch) :sarcastic:
Merriwa would be about half way, there is a rest area just past the main street in merriwa.

but you would turn north at dunedoo Yeah?

the rest area across from the shops in donedoo is ok (town park area with large parking area on other side for truck n stuff), I got some sleep there one night.

Yeah take the Castlereagh Highway turnoff (here it is on Google Street View). You'll see the low fence that surrounds the caravan park on the right and then there's a large sign on the left (and a smaller one on the right hand side on the intersection itself) pointing the way - I think the sign says "Mendooran" but definitely says Castleway Highway (Hwy 86).

They change the rules on that rest area (probably because of the caravan park) - you can't stay there overnight any more, and can be fined if you do.

I thought that rest area in Merriwa was a caravan park? I could just be blind. For large rigs, the Cassilis area is the best (my opinion, and with the aforementioned caveat on the toilets).

For Newcastle/Maitland people, you should (towing) be able to reach the Shell at Gilgandra without refuelling (it's just over 300km).

Dave - we don't go to Cassilis a lot, but we do go to Mudgee, Wellington, Dubbo and beyond. Nice caves in Wellington, with a caravan park - maybe we ought to organise a weekend up at that place.

- I think the sign says "Mendooran" .
correct

They change the rules on that rest area (probably because of the caravan park) - you can't stay there overnight any more, and can be fined if you do.
the ranger doesnt go out at night, if your gone by early morning your ok.

For Newcastle/Maitland people, you should (towing) be able to reach the Shell at Gilgandra without refuelling (it's just over 300km).
dunedoo has bp on your end and old mobil west side,which is cheaper fuel if needed.

LLadnar- good to see your not one of those strange peak people anymore :sarcastic:

I think Dave might have been talking to me tony. We go to Cassilis every couple of months, was there in May and actually heading there on the 19th of August again. My uncle has a cattle farm there and we do a little hunting and just chilling out.

Tony, there is a little caravan park next too the rest area at merriwa, the toilets are clean :sarcastic: and there is plenty of parking on the left hand side of the road across from the park, but it up to you's.

does everyone have a UHF?

does everyone have a UHF?
i have 2 handheld uhf's (5watt kenwoods) so i can loan one if someone needs one

Back