nissan bar and winch Help Please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvguy

Reaction score
Hey
Just stated doing my navara up so learning heaps as i go so sorry for the dumb questions.
I'm after a winch for the dozen or so times a year i go away not knowing much about them I'm not sure on what size,brand, steel cable or rope etc to get nd what will fit in the bar?
I have a Nissan bar and it says to use warn xd9000
Are winches hard to fit?
Do i need a dual battery to run it so i dont drain the starting battery?
Cheers for any help
FPVguy

Attachments

• PicsArt_1345985829186.jpg
    PicsArt_1345985829186.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 76
  • PicsArt_1345985932488.jpg
    PicsArt_1345985932488.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20120826_174649.jpg
    IMG_20120826_174649.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 71
Winches are easy to fit. Just heavy. 3 cables 4 bolts and a bit of aligning and you're done.
You'll need a hand. Almost any winch will fit. I have an eBay cheap called IMAX. Works a treat.

Ok looks like you have the same bar as Old Tony and i know for a fact he is using an aldi winch so it wont matter what winch you choose it will fit your bar.

The winch is really easy to fit as FB said you will need a extra set of hands, so unless you were born in Alabama you will need a mates help.

I run a 1200lb winch and i dont have a dual battery.
Even if my car had busted and wasnt running, a good battery will get you at least 1 long line recovery before it got lazy.
So in my opinion a dual battery is not an absolute must for having a winch.

Size of the winch will depend on what you tend to pull with it, if you load the heck out of the ute and have a big van or camp trailer it is prob best to go bigger then 9000lb but its not an absolute must, i have seen patrols and cruisers with 900lb winches and they worked ok.
I just think it not as hard on the winch if it is meant for heavier work then flogging the smaller unit, only my opinion though.

As for rope or cable i chose rope for a number of reasons like,

its much lighter, about 8kg in fact
its allot easier to handle,

it doesnt retain a memory like cable,

it will float,

when and if it breaks it is allot safer way less chance of the rope swinging through the air and hitting something or someone,

you wont end up with your hands torn open by a frayed cable.

If it did break you can get away with tying a knot in it or splice it like a ski rope to get you out of trouble, try doing that with a cable,

it wont rust,

it wont kink,

less maintenance,

fairlead has no rollers as its just a block of alloy,

It is actually stronger compared to the same thickness of cable,

The down side it has less friction resistance over sharp rocky ground, But with a bit of thinking you can minimise this.

Cable is cheaper,

some winches get to hot from the braking system and can only use cable as the rope will melt.

If you want to see how to fit a winch go to the TIGERZ11 web site and look at the video section, it has three videos showing how to install and how the cables need to be wired up.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Last edited:
+1 on all that. Yes, I do have that bar - the winch has to be flipped over and mounted with its mounting holes facing forward. The mounting bolts supplied with my Aldi winch were too short and I had to go to a bolt supplier to get two of them 5mm longer and two of them 10mm longer than supplied.

You can mount the control box anywhere - mine's on the left-hand chassis rail where it can't be seen by casual observers.

Aldi are putting these winches on sale again this week and now they come with isolators as well - making them a good buy but just use the cable control - I wouldn't bother with the remote control because it doesn't react fast enough.

You need to add a tree trunk protector, a winch extension strap, a snatch block and half a dozen bow shackles (the bigger the better). Put all of this in a sturdy bag and you're set.

Just wire it into your starter battery and keep your engine running during any winching operations. The battery will recover. You shouldn't be winching for more than about 30 seconds anyway so you're really only using a few amps of battery capacity.

As for steel vs dyna cable - I don't know the best choice. I have steel on mine because it came with it and I've not seen a need to change it yet. Steel is heavy. The wires break meaning you MUST use gloves when handling it - because when you're using a winch, it's usually a very, very dirty environment and you don't want to rip your skin open.

I don't know if you can use dyna rope with a snatch block and I doubt you can use dyna rope as a flying fox.

You shouldn't be winching for more than about 30 seconds anyway so you're really only using a few amps of battery capacity.

I don't know if you can use dyna rope with a snatch block and I doubt you can use dyna rope as a flying fox.

I have been in a few spots where the recovery required me to use the winch over a fairly long distance.
one where i fell into some very long flat muddy rut lines where i was trying to stay on top and slipped in.
I had no alternative but to get on the gas and try and climb back out. What that did was get me a fairly long way without being able to go back and in the end forward.
I then had to get some logs in the trench to help the tyres climb up & out of the rut, and recover the ute at a diagonal.
Which isnt ideal but in this case there wasnt any other option.
What this meant was i was winching for quite some time.
Needless to say the winch did the job and handled it really well.
Anyway the point is you cant always say that you will only need to winch for a few seconds to get out of the poo

The other thing is OF COURSE YOU CAN USE A SNATCH BLOCK WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE. I do it all the time, and have seen it used by others on more then five occasions.

Last but not least and this really doesnt matter, BUT last xmas i had no prob using my synthetic rope as a flying fox, which included using a SNATCH BLOCK.

In fact here are some pics

e11b38a7.jpg

f0e144f1.jpg

Last edited:
My local supercheap auto had winches for like $400 the other day when I was in there, the warn ones are at least $1000 and up I think so a cheap one will save you a bit of money, just make sure you know what you are doing because the forces are enormous when you hang a car off a single cable.

Thanks guys
I got a full warn recovery kit the other day from autobarn for $200 and have a arb snatchie aswell all I need is the winch now.
Old Tony could I please get a pic of set up so I can see how the ado winch went in the bar
Cheers FPVguy

Which synthetic cable do you have?

WHY?? what difference would it make??

My KINGONE/AVENGER winch came with DYNEEMA rope (as it says in my signature)
It also came with a snatch block.

Im not sure if you have used the rope or seen it when its under tension, BUT it is that HARD its just like cable only smoother so the snatch block work beautifully.

Have a look at any 4x4 magazine they all use snatch blocks with synthetic rope, as does the guys on 4wd tv, and old TOOTHY from 4WD ACTION is always using snatch blocks for doing double line pulls, and thats with the Identical winch and rope as mine.

Last edited:
my tigerz winch fitted up nice to nissan/arb steel bar
when it fails i will get one with rope

Anyway the point is you cant always say that you will only need to winch for a few seconds to get out of the poo

Lengthy hauls at several hundred amps of draw will cause the motor to heat up, and will cause the battery to suffer as well. It's not something that I would want to be doing a lot, but you know that if I had to, I'd rather risk the winch and the battery over personal safety or more extensive repairs so I'd do the same. I should have been a little clearer I guess - but I sometimes type too much already!

The other thing is OF COURSE YOU CAN USE A SNATCH BLOCK WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE. I do it all the time, and have seen it used by others on more then five occasions.

There's a learning thing for me, I didn't know (which is why I said I didn't know!). I've seen the stuff at ARB in a package but I've never seen it under tension.

That's one of the things I really enjoy about this forum - that I can still learn stuff!

Thanks guys
I got a full warn recovery kit the other day from autobarn for $200 and have a arb snatchie aswell all I need is the winch now.
Old Tony could I please get a pic of set up so I can see how the ado winch went in the bar
Cheers FPVguy

I did a whole thread on it just after I bought the winch and put a couple of pics in it - click here. If there's something specific you'd like, let me know and I'll go out and take some more happy snaps.

Tony Please dont take me the wrong way Mate, i didnt mean to come across like i was having a go at you. I just wanted to clear some stuff up.
Having said that I totally agree with you on using the winch for continued lengthy periods is not the best thing for the winch or your battery, but when its the only option i will let that sucker run the full length of the rope if i have to.
If i can i would also stop for a while and let it cool down before starting again, unfortunately this may not always be possible.

Hopefully i can catch up with you on the next trip and we can use the rope on the Yota's, then you will see it working first hand.

Which synthetic cable do you have?

WHY?? what difference would it make??

My KINGONE/AVENGER winch came with DYNEEMA rope (as it says in my signature)
It also came with a snatch block.

Im not sure if you have used the rope or seen it when its under tension, BUT it is that HARD its just like cable only smoother so the snatch block work beautifully.

Have a look at any 4x4 magazine they all use snatch blocks with synthetic rope, as does the guys on 4wd tv, and old TOOTHY from 4WD ACTION is always using snatch blocks for doing double line pulls, and thats with the Identical winch and rope as mine.

Where are you Terryc?? ask a question then disappear?? would you like to clarify your question??

Latest posts

Back