Nissan service - what a joke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithyd40

Reaction score
Has anyone had any dramas with nissan service, just had a 20k service and went through the list of things they 'inspected'

My power steering rack boot has a large split in it. In the logbook they supposedly inspected the power steering system, the split is clearly visible.

They checked diff level, and I know my front diff was full of milky oil due to the breather coming off last week. So I got it home pulled the plug and what do you know... Well and truly over full with milky oil. Surely that's worth a mention to the customer right?

My odometer didn't even tick over a single km whilst it was there but they say they road tested it? Funny they didn't hear the overly loud squeak from the suspension on the road test.

I called them up about a few of these issues and the lady didn't seem to care. " just bring it in tomorrow and we will talk about it then "

Anyone had any similar situations?

Advice needed please

Cheers - Michael

I got charged for cabin filters but noone actually knew where they were in the truck.I asked to see the old filters, knowing full well there were none , and they showed me an air filter from some small car .
I showed them where the cabin filters went and had them take note how there were none fitted and then told them to bash their bill up their butt as there was no proof anything at all actually got done

i had a simular situation with Nissan too. F!@k hopeless. I took my car in to get a 100,000k service and payed a arm and a leg and got nothing done, and I mean nothing. They where/ are bad that they didn't even bother putting engine oil back in (lucky I don't live far from the Nissan dealer) and that I checked it when I got home. they didn't even change the rest of the things that needed to be done. I went back and asked them if they have my old oil filter so I can have a look at it. they said yes with confidence of course we do and bought me out a Nissan patrol oil filter. I drive a d22 03 model I said. I asked to speak to the manager. he come out in a hurry and said sorry mate the apprentice is only new. I told him about the rest of the stuff and he said you have no proof.
love Nissan dealers.NOT

Best advice would be not to let them anywhere near it. Sorry to say but like myself have learnt the lesson the hard way.
If something serious needs replacing under warrentee get a written report by a competent mechanical works shop (i know that will cost) then and only then approach the dealer to fix it but check out there work.

Had mine in for its 90,00km service last week - got charged for a 4wheel balance and rotate - great I thought, because it needed to be done - got home only to find the front tyres (muds with choppped out lugs) are still front tyres!!!
Phoned the service manager to report this and was told to bring it back in - pissed off that I have to drive 25kms back to Nissan to have them do something they should have already done (something their mechanic said he had done!)

It's not actually Nissan that do these stupid things - it's the dealership and the slightly trained monkeys that some of the dealers hire to do the work. Nissan NEED to know about them, so if you DO have a problem with a specific dealership and declared work that has not been done, it's great to warn people here on the forum, but it's VITAL to inform Nissan about it too.

I don't know if Nissan pay a lot of attention to this forum - so calling them 1800 035 035 (Australia, if you're outside Oz you'll have to Google your own local number) is by far the best thing you could do.

Nissan will review the situation, and if there are enough reports about that specific dealership, they'll likely place a rocket in the nether regions of the head brass there - so changes will THEN be made. Until then, the dealership will continue on its merry, uncaring way.

And who knows - Nissan might even step in and rectify your situation as well. Depends on how you approach Nissan, I guess. When making the call, remember two things:

1) Nissan weren't the ones that mucked up, they're the ones capable of fixing the situation

2) Flies like honey more than vinegar.

I will call nissan Australia just to let them know, my local dealer want to see the car again so I have to drive back and waste more time.

Just to let you all know .. the service sheet they give at the end is just generic to all services the service receptionist told me. Surely that's not right

After trading my 22 for a 40 i checked the recall register and found it needed the wheel recall and tow bar inspection, it already had the correct bar but needed the wheels, i had to rebook to get the wheels fitted so that's 2 trips so far, as i was driving home after having the wheels fitted i could hear intermittent banging like stones coming out of the wheels, pulled over and found the stick on weights had come off, i had a look at the rims and they still had the protective coating on them, rang the service manager and was asked to rebook to get it looked at, i told him that i was having to take time off from work(unpaid)to get back there again and would like it done after i knock off from work or on a Saturday, sorry we close at 4.30 and are not open on Saturdays was the reply, didn't give a rats ass.
:shooter:

Kevvy it's a Shame really, finding more and more stories about very basic mechanical practices that nissan don't do.

*Touch wood*

I've got what I would consider a good vehicle. I've owned it since new (Aug 2008) and used it hard. It's a decent 4wd, and a tow rig for our caravan.

No clutch issues, no fuelling issues, no brake problems, no cooling issues. The only thing my vehicle suffers from is the annoying rattle in the clutch hydraulics. I'll get around to that one.... No trace of unusual noises from the front of the engine (timing gear/chains).

My original alternator pulley failed in March 2013, and the Nuline replacement failed last month (faulty bearing - they refunded me for the first one I bought, once they inspected it at the factory). I've also done the uni joints twice (second time because of a fark up by me).

In all that time, my vehicle has been touched by Nissan twice. Fix bonnet strap, and replace alloy wheels.

Every service is done by me. 5,000km intervals, and I believe in doing coolant, brake fluid etc every couple of years.

Based on all the horror stories people have related about Nissan, I'm glad that I do everything myself. At least I know it's done right that way.

I think small cameras fitted through out the car would be good insurance if you own a new car - I hate mechanics ! My father was one and frankly NO ONE comes close to him ! Your better off with a manual and doing it yourself ! After the problems I had with Warragul fuel injection I will never go to another one again.. Leaving the spill line bolt loose and filling the motor up with diesel was the last straw for me, oh and I asked them to do a oil pressure test so if the oil pump needed to be replaced they could do that at the same time- Oh it's fine was the reply but every morning that light stays on for to long in my book ! great- now I have a new timing chain and injectors but will have to do all that work again to replace the oil pump-TIMING CHAIN THAT IS ! was quoted 2 grand and the bill came in over 3 ?? Arse holes- and they think I'm paying that bill haha see you in court was my reply !

Last edited:
Like Tony said its not Nissan its the dealer.

Most dealerships these days are "motor groups" and therefor service more then one make of vehicle, so if its happening with a Navara you bet they are doing it to any other make and model they have come through their doors.

My point is you cant blame Nissan the Blame Must be pointed at the dealer.
The dealer at mossvale have always been more then helpfull and always have sorted any problem i have taken to them, even though i no longer have them doing the servicing due to NISSAN'S high pricing on their "capped pricing" why they want to charge over $1000 for a 40k service is beyond my comprehension

I found an oily rag in the engine bay after my last Nissan service....
Wasn't impressed to say the least
And they charged me $37 to fix a squeaking belt what's with that!? (Apparently its not included in the service)
No surprise when I say it still squeaks....

Most stealerships are franchised or stand alone, as Tony said if you get poor or no service, especially being charged for work not done report them to Nissan because these bastards are dirtying Nissans name and Nissan should care or at least know about unethical practices.

Must be Nissan dealers in general, my D40 is booked in for it's 10000k service on Monday and I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb, someone I know very well just last week bought a used Patrol from a bloke who it seems was not very mechanically minded but very fussy as far as looking after the vehicle, he had every receipt for everything he had ever had done to it. Took it back to the same dealer for every service etc, when looking back through the guys old dockets one in particular the 10000k service rang a few alarm bells, they charged him to service the clutch and to replace the clutch fluid except it's an auto and further down the page they charged him to service the auto, since when do you service an auto at 10000 ks and there were many other dubious entries as well. I will use a dealer for the first service but after that I will go elsewhere they can still do a book service and it will be a lot cheaper.

Like Tony said its not Nissan its the dealer.

Most dealerships these days are "motor groups" and therefor service more then one make of vehicle, so if its happening with a Navara you bet they are doing it to any other make and model they have come through their doors.

My point is you cant blame Nissan the Blame Must be pointed at the dealer.
The dealer at mossvale have always been more then helpfull and always have sorted any problem i have taken to them, even though i no longer have them doing the servicing due to NISSAN'S high pricing on their "capped pricing" why they want to charge over $1000 for a 40k service is beyond my isscomprehension

Pretty well spot on there nathand and to reiterate tony's point. Most but not all the dealer service centers are bozos and not a reflection on Nissan (or other makes for that matter) itself. Not going into a long story but had a hell of a time on a particular problem until they eventually contacted Nissan themselves, they replied straight away with a response that resolved the issue successfully. I'm quite sure when your told the old "oh we are opening up a Tech Line on the problem" their just bullshiting. They keep guessing till they run out of ideas. Then they contact Nissan.

Like most business now days they are down to the bone. After my many visits there. When I said to one service advisor's who I think i gained the confidence of "you guys are totally under the pump" his reply was "it was ridiculous the whole place is dysfunctional". Not the reply that is confidence inspiring when having your vehicle serviced.

Comes back to- stay away unless absolutely totally necessary.

I've been getting my Nissan serviced at Waverley Nissan in Melbourne and I have to say that, so far, I have no problems. I even asked them to change the fuel filter for me (at an additional charge of course) at the 20,000 km service for my piece of mind and they did (I checked!).

I have it booked in with them to do a service before my 8,500 km road trip to WA and back in December as well... So far they have done a great job and I will continue to take it back. I usually get to chat to the lead mechanic there about any issues I have and they check it out for me as well... he ain't some young green apprentice either :)

So far so good... :)

Bit of an update, took it back first thing the next morning, walked around the car with the boss and foreman. Went through my service list and what wasn't done. I hardly let him get a word in. After all that the took the car out the back and changed every driveline oil for me and is replacing the steering knuckle boot. All at no cost.

A minor win, but still will not be going back to nissan.

Latest posts

Back