No drive to front wheels in 4x4

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pluckaduck

Reaction score
Hey fellas, new member, first post.
so i dont have any drive to the front wheels when in either 4H or 4L.
not sure why, the wheels seem to be locked in place when the hubs are locked in, as if the breaks are on, the backs spin and try moving but the fronts wont spin at all.

pretty sure its stuck.
if it gets stuck with the hubs in, then unlock and even change back to 2 wheel it stays stuck until i manage to get the tires to turn.

i got told just before that it possibly needs a new diff.
the oil level os low in the transfer case.
leaky seal and ive bot had a chance to replace it yet

It could be a diff backlash adjustment issue. Could also be bearings that lock up when a drive load is applied. You won't really know til you rip it out...

Could also be the transfer chain. If it is stretched it can cause all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
I'd jack the FRONT of the car up, place it on stands (back wheels on the ground, handbrake on) and do the following:

1) Turn ONE of the front wheels in 2HI. With both hubs locked, the other front wheel should turn the opposite way. If it doesn't, your hub locks, CVs, axles or diff need attention.

2) Still in 2HI with both hubs locked, crawl underneath (only if you have used stands) and turn the prop shaft either way. Both wheels should react. If not (and the hub locks etc are ok) the pinion gear in the diff may be suspect.

3) In 4WD (doesn't matter 4HI/4LO) with the hubs locked, turn the prop shaft. You shouldn't be able to - if you can, the transfer case isn't engaging the front shaft. This could be transfer chain failed, or the engaging gear has worn/broken.

Latest posts

Back