No power :(

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty D

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

most of you probably already know my issue...

i have a Navara ZD30 2003 D22, and my car has seem to have lost what seems to be like 50% of its power, i will explain whats been happening and see if anyone has had the same issue or can suggest what may be wrong with it...

Firstly it started off with the engine light coming on intermittantly and sending the car into limp mode, now this would only happen at idle or at a constant REV when on the open road.. I did some trouble shooting and kind of narrowed it down to volt drop as the Alternator is not changing properly (12.8v) running...

now the car has dropped alot of power what feels like 50% (no engine light), i have done the following to try and pin point the issue...

Bi Passed Manual Pump Fuel Filter
Changed Cat Back Exhaust to Straight 3"
Unplugged the NPS Switch
Checked Turbo
Compression Test
Check For Water in Diesel

all these things with no joy... im starting to get frusterated, only thing i havent done is scan the ECU to see if it can fault it, but with no engine lights or fault codes that wouldnt really help i thought?

only other thing i could think of is i had a hole in the top of my fuel tank about 10mm and that it allowed enough dirt in etc to block the fuel pump? but now that im running a clear filter the diesle does not look to be dirty or anything...

im all out of ideas on what to check... any advice would be muchly appreciated.

thanks in advance lads!

i think you need to explain things a bit better and try to keep it all in one thread.

tested NPS so that can be ruled out.

checking codes is easy enough, i posted the procedure a few times somewhere......

what the story with the electric lift pump? pic?

what is this clear fuel filter? pic?
highly likely its to small and will cause problems.
is it still in use or have you gone back to factory filter?
any dirt the filter would have caught. the IP pumps a large amount of fuel around so any dirt is usually very quickly sucked up and caught in the fuel filter.

I just bi passed the fuel filter under the bonnet because i thought that may be sucking air because when i changed the filter i couldnt manualy prime the fuel up and had to be roll started, so i swapped it for a simple 1way paper filter to test if that was the issue, which it wasnt, put it on the scanner today and came up with ECM (engine control module) so I reset the fault code and it drove better, but then dropped power again, im starting to think it maybe a dirty earth...

IMAG0458.jpg

This was just to test if this was the issue, i have gone back to factory filter since this.

Last edited:
what code did the scanner give you?
sorry to be a pain but these don't use OBD2 codes and some scanners will give incorrect codes. its often easier just to bridge the connections and read off the number of flashes and use the nissan codes.

what code did the scanner give you?
sorry to be a pain but these don't use OBD2 codes and some scanners will give incorrect codes. its often easier just to bridge the connections and read off the number of flashes and use the nissan codes.

it just come up read ECM (engine control module) reset the fault and it drove good, then went back to the same thing after 5 mins of driving.

Personally I'd be removing the earth strap from the engine block, cleaning it and remounting it. I'd then remove the ECM, check all of the contacts on both sides of the connectors for debris, clean as needed and reinstall. Then do the same for the injectors, glow plugs and the earth cable from the ECM. Finally, I'd check the MAPS connector and the EGR valve (block that sucker if it isn't already, and if it is, make sure the blanking plate is NOT perforated).

Once I was sure that it wasn't an electrical connectivity problem (which erratic problems often are) I'd start looking elsewhere.

check battery connections first, also the battery itself.

double check the alternator earth. i think you really need to sort that alternator issue first. could easily be spiky power caused by the alt upsetting the ECU.
its fairly rare to have the ecu fail.

Hi Guys Thanks for all the advice, just an update on how all is tracking,

I have now blocked the EGR and re-run Vac hoses (thanks Tweak for map) removed all earths cleaned both surfaces stripped and started with fresh un corroded wires where needed and new terminals.

Altinator i cleaned pos and neg thats now charging at a consistant 13.8v running

Disconnected the fuel lines and used compressed air to blow out with small amount of gunk coming through the lines.

replaced the manual primer with a new unit with water catch system ran a full tank through in the weekend no water in the diesel but a substansial amount of dirt and Grit.

thinking about it last night, do they run a gauze filter at the fuel rail? or injector pump? im thinking that may possibly be blocked if so, i havent looked at the car this morning so i dont know if it runs either...

next step is to clean the MAP sensor, remove fuel tank and clean...

Im also considering putting a low pressure facet pump inline, and if this would be advisable.

im passed the frusteration now, and im now actually enjoying the trouble shooting haha!

thanks again everyone for your advice and tips.

Last edited:
no gauze filter at pump etc. the main filter is the only one.

facet pumps generally don't flow enough. the engine circulates a heap of fuel to and from the tank. the lift pump can cause a restriction and starve the injection pump, which can cause damage as well as bad performance.
if you fit a pump make sure you fit a bypass one way valve in parrellel so the IP can suck fuel past the electric pump.

this also an issue with aftermarket fuel filters. if it doesn't flow enough it will cause problems. be aware that the filters come in different flow rates.
the IP needs a lot of flow.

trouble shooting can be a ton of fun............. untill nothing works.

ok i see your point with the facet pump, maybe a last resort, i will look into the flow rate of the filter i have because it was originally of a N/A 2.8ltr Hilux... ( i did replace with a new filter )...

best method of cleaning MAP sensor? just brake cleaner allow to dry? see if any contamination there is causing issue? creating power loss?

electrical contact cleaner should be ok. or MAF sensor cleaner.

the filter head off a 2.8 hilux is only 8mm hose size. navara is 10mm. its going to be way under sized......unless you fit two in parallel.

Sorry to appear contradictory but I thought I'd read before that the IP has a gauze basket under the banjo fitting of the supply line, could be wrong but just putting it out there.

ok, ill be down workshop tonight so ill give those a try and see if that makes a difference.

i have heard the the accelerator pedal has a wire running from it and if that corrodes then it will lose power because its not registering throttle?

dunno how true that is though.

thanks again.

So i cleaned the ECM out last night was quite contaminated, also cleaned out the MAP sensor car seems to have gained quite alot from this, but due to the engine light and limp mode from the weekend i am hoping that because that fault is still stored in the computer that once i clear it the car will hopefully be running deluxe.

let you all know how i go.

Put it on the Scanner,

came up with Error 77 which is Fuel Feed Back...

and as you said the toher day Tweake because im running the 2.8 hilux filter, the car is sucking its tits off and not getting enough fuel and im guessing its throwing the timing up up top end... so brand new primer pump and filter has been ordered, will know tomorrow, will keep you informed

thanks again guys for advice n tips.

yes. 77 or 0707 code is "can't achieve full timing" typically from fuel restriction or air being sucked in.

it would not hurt to fit two filters in parallel. make it better than factory.

Latest posts

Back