Noise from drive belt

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laith

Reaction score
Hi all,

My truck has developed a rattling type noise that im fairly sure is coming from the drive belt.

It isnt very frequent at idle but once some revs are introduced it becomes much more regular.

Has anyone had a problem with the tensioner pully bearing? If so has what Ive described sound like it?

The only other thing Ive thought of is the altenator bearing but the shaft on it seems to have no movement.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I replaced my tensioner bearing cause of some noise while back but it didn't fix it, the bearing was dry so I figured it would be it but it was the belt making the noise, not an easy job, its a prick to reach and you need the right size torx key to undo the bolt.

I did the bearing in a tensioner pulley on my 91 SWB Paj, it was more of an intermitant screeching sound than a rattle, usually happened when accelerating through 1st/2nd.

Haven't had any issue's with mine. Changed the belt at 100,000km's for good measure, nothing last's forever and I dont want the belt to let me down.

I got the mechanic to do it as I thought I cant be bothered doing it.

Dave.

I just got a price from Nissan for a genuine belt. $80.00

They told me you cant buy just the tensioner pulley on its own. You must buy the whole tensioner assembly for $350.00

Does this sound right?

Im thinking I might just try the belt first since others have had luck with this.

It just dosnt sound like a belt to me.

Doesn't surprise me being $350, a couple of guy's on Patrol4x4 have changed the bearing on the tensioner.

Do a search on there, the GU's share some parts with the D22 engine wise.

Dave.

I sprayed some lube on the belt to see if it was it making the noise. As soon as I did it stopped.

Sure did not sound like a belt to me but anyway, thanks Shonky for posting your experience. Its what made me doubt my opinion. (and not wanting to spend $350 helped) :big_smile:

I just went and got the genuine belt from Nissan so will prob change it this arvie.

The guy at the counter told me the belt and tensioner are the same as the parts for a Patrol.

Take a pic of how the belt is before you take it it off.

Laith's in the 200 and above post's club. :five:

Dave.

I printed the page from our manual mate. You could easily get confused id say.

200 posts, I didnt want to make a big deal or anything :party:

but thanks for noticing :flowers:

Its on. Quite a pain in the arse the way it twists and turns.

Im quite happy that the noise is now gone. :dancing:

When you concider the one that come off has been on for over 140K with no damage or cracks evident its done ok. (just got too smooth I guess).

I sprayed some lube on the belt to see if it was it making the noise. As soon as I did it stopped.

Sure did not sound like a belt to me but anyway, thanks Shonky for posting your experience. Its what made me doubt my opinion. (and not wanting to spend $350 helped) :big_smile:

I just went and got the genuine belt from Nissan so will prob change it this arvie.

The guy at the counter told me the belt and tensioner are the same as the parts for a Patrol.

Thank god I just changed the bearing, couldn't get the exact one from the bearing supplies, so I used two with the same outside and inside diameter but around half the thickness stacked together. Total cost about $15.

P.S You'll need a press to push the bearing out and push the new ones in.

belt noise

ive been chasing the belt noise on and of for some years now, tried belt grip, dry lube have replaced tensioner and belt (belt twice one nissan one repco) found out if both clean best chance of staying quiet (dont think the or. tensioner was crook) now the noise comes and goes i think if it slips a little it sweaks the belt grip made it worse :dong:and made a mess. when the new belt and tensioner went on it was quiet for a time my 2002 nav. has 108000ks on it now

The main reason for noise I believe with the serpentine belts is the the little V's wear down in width, once the bottom edge of the V bottoms out in the pulleys it starts to slip in minute amounts causing the noise, it eventually gets worse and it can do it pretty quickly, mine went from just a little noise to squealing so loud you couldn't stand next to the running motor with the bonnet open after a few thousand Kms.

Mine wasnt even making a squeeling noise. Sounded like a rattle.
Ive had plenty of squeeling belts on other cars in the past but none sounded like this.

Yea that belt is a real pain to change. when i was changing the alternator i couldnt find how to release the tensioner?

Latest posts

Back