noise in the gear box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue boy

Reaction score
the nav started making this rythmic woo woo woo noise (like a mud tyres make). threw it up on a couple of jack stands and found the noise to becoming from the gear box??

it only makes the noise when in gear and is most obvious in 1st gear.
going to change the gearbox oil in the morning.

any ideas would be great. hopefully nothing to major.

cheers

i put my ear to the drain plug and that's where the sound seems to be the clearest. i'll take the bash plate off and have another listen.

the noise has only appeared after the new tyre's got fitted. might be a coincidence.be running the same size tyre's for 3 years the only difference is the tread.

how big of a job is a stretched chain??

If memory serves, it's a half-day and about $400 to Nissan. Charlie could probably clarify both - and IF your chain is stretched, send a PM to Nizzbits, who'll be cheaper than Nissan.

I am wondering if it is your transfer case now though - you say you put your ear to the drain plug ... the only way the transfer case engages is when you engage a gear and move the vehicle. Did you have it in gear?

yeah mate both rear wheels on axle stands and just idleing along in 1st gear. put it in 2nd for abit but spinning to quick to hear the noise. doesn't make the noise in neutral or with the clutch in.

also found that there 2-3mm side ways movement in the raer axles. there's no oil leaks but just something i came across when trying to pin point the noise.

righto dropped the bash plate off that covers the transfer case and the noise is the same there. coming from the rear of the gear box/transfer case area so cant really pin point.

Be good if someone else who's heard this in their car could jump in!

I'd get a screwdriver, place the tip on the transfer case and put the handle up against your ear. Works just like a stethoscope. Because there's a lot of metal, the sound will conduct fairly easily, but it should still be distinguishable between the gearbox and the larger part of the transfer case.

I'm thinking that the transfer chain is the likely culprit. It's not likely to be a clutch/thrust washer issue.

In 4HI with all the wheels on the ground and driven in a straight line only, do you hear the sound? Don't drive far like that. If you can do it on grass it's even better. If you can, can you kill the engine and roll it and hear the sound?

Actually, with the rear wheels off the ground and the gearbox in neutral, you ought to be able to turn the prop shaft by hand - does THAT make the sound happen?

Still makes the sound in 4h but can't hear it in neutral. I've booked it into the mechanics on Wednesday. Hopefully get time tomorrow to drop into a gear box place. Hopefully they'll know what it is when they hear it..
Just what ya need on holidays.

Thanks for ya help Old Tony. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Hey mate im no mechanic and have very little idea when it come to this stuff. But I had a stretched transfer chain recently and id say the noise was nothing like muddies make. It was a very loud clunk. Mine is a d22 not sure the difference with yours being a d40. But my transfer chain only clunked in 4wd mainly when working hard. Is your noise regardless weather in 2wd or 4wd. Or just 1. I only thought the transfer worked in 4wd. Maybe someone can clarify. But id guess its not a stretched transfer chain from my experience if you can only hear it at idle in 1st. Good luck with it and keep us posted

Went to 2 gearbox places thismorning. 1 said it's prolly the "main shaft hardening" and the other said he thinks it's the bearing behind 1st gear or the chain in the transfer case... They both said it wont jam up just get progressivly worse.I'll get the mechanic to have a good listen with a screw driver when it's on the hoist tomorrow.hopefully pin point transfer or gear box.

The nav went to the mechanics and he said its. Coming from the gear box and sounds like a failing bearing
But.... When I took it in this morning I noticed a humming noise when it's in neutral and your foot is off the clutch.... The noise goes away when you put your foot on the clutch though.
The first. Noise is still there. Hopefully can find out what it is without having to drop the box out.

Last edited:
Sounds like nobody's certain. If you're getting a noise when your foot is off the clutch that goes away when your foot is ON the clutch - that means when there's pressure applied to the pressure plate by the thrust bearing, it goes quiet - that would indicate something making noise in the clutch.

I wonder if it is just something there? Is the noise quite loud in the bell housing?

cant hear anything in the bell housing.hope what ever it is hasn't stuffed the clutch too.. it still drives fine and there's no difference in clutch operation.

shit. only 14000km.... mines done 84 000km and i thought that was a raw deal.

yours must still be under warranty? whats Nissan said about it.?

does yours do the same as i've discribed?

Sounds like nobody's certain. If you're getting a noise when your foot is off the clutch that goes away when your foot is ON the clutch - that means when there's pressure applied to the pressure plate by the thrust bearing, it goes quiet - that would indicate something making noise in the clutch.

I wonder if it is just something there? Is the noise quite loud in the bell housing?

i would be thinking more along the lines of gearbox not clutch. when pedal is depressed it is stopping the noise, hence stopping the input shaft from turning. Nothing in a clutch to make a bearing noise when clutch is engaged.

i would be thinking more along the lines of gearbox not clutch. when pedal is depressed it is stopping the noise, hence stopping the input shaft from turning. Nothing in a clutch to make a bearing noise when clutch is engaged.

Except the thrust bearing and the pressure plate surface where the thrust bearing mates to it. The D40s have had problems with those in the past.

Looks like the nav's up for a new set of bearing's for the box and possibly repairs to the main shaft if the ends hardened. Not real impressed when the ute's only done 86 000 km.

$1465 plus whatever the main shaft might be.

I'll let ya's know what exact bearing it was once the works done.

Thanks for the info lads.

mine suffered the same fait and i was pissed that i only got 150000ks out of mine i didn't get mine repaired tho, just got second hand one with 23000ks on it. good luck with the repairs be nice to know what it was.

Latest posts

Back