NOT just another exhaust mod thread

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm a new member around these parts coming from the V8 scene which i was with for quite a number of years. I have noticed there are alot of exhaust modification threads and what not, but no real answers for some people who wish to know about modding their exhaust until they buy a proper front to back system.

First off, anything listed here that may not comply with your state regulations, laws / EPA laws, i do not condone / promote doing, ultimately what you do to your vehicle is your decision and i will not be held liable for any damage done or laws broken, i am simply listing end results from something I DID to MY vehicle, so here goes!!

Amongst putting cash away for my XROX front bar, lift, front to back exhaust / bigger dump pipe and spotties whilst paying bills, rent etc, i had a day to myself messing around in my garage doing bits and pieces and tieing up loose ends on my D40 and i decided to just go ahead and modify my stock exhaust slightly. Now i have read mixed answers on this forum from people who have modified their factory exhaust, so what i am posting is simply my experience, and one that most will find similar if doing the same thing to their D40 exhaust.

I started by removing the entire exhaust system from the first flange AFTER the cat converter, which consisted of 6 bolts holding in the mounts which held the system to the vehicle's underbody, which took no more than 10 minutes and could not be more straight forward. Secondly with a bit of wriggling around and what not i removed the whole system as one piece out from underneath the car, finding it to be in near perfect condition.

This is where legalities may come into play, and like i said, this may not be legal, and if i get done, i shall not complain, as i knew what i was doing in the first place. I cut the exhaust with an angle grinder (away from the vehicle and obvious things like jerry cans and other flammables etc) about two inches AFTER the first exhaust mount that holds it to the vehicle which is BEFORE the muffler, so the tip was behind the drivers window as to not kill me with diesel fumes whilst driving.

After that, refitting was just the reverse of removal. Now here is the point of my thread, the results. From my personal experience, and this whole mini project was simply an experiment as i am not far off a bigger dump pipe and proper front to back 2.5" exhaust with cat anyway, the results are close to sweet FA. The exhaust note barely changes bar a slightly deeper note, you can hear the turbo venting through each gear change, or if you you hold throttle so the turbo spools right up then release throttle before it changes gear, it makes a huge almost BOV sound (do this down your main street of town, for maximum hectic street cred :wristy:) and finally, the throttle is maybe a bee's wang more responsive, obviously due to the fact there is less restriction on the engine, due to less exhaust pipe / bends.

Other than that, for the people wondering if it does anything, it really does stuff all in my personal experience. But sure, if you are close to getting a full system like myself anyway and you have a spare hour or so with nothing to do, you may as well do it (provided you don't want to sell the factory system on Egay or what not) just for something to do. But don't expect a tough exhaust note like the old 80's series Patrol TD engines and other engines from that era get, because the 2.5L TD's just won't punch that tough note out.

I hope this has been of some help to someone! Cheers!!!

Coby.

Interesting Cobez,

I had toyed with doing something similar... but replacing the factory muffler with a straight through pipe..

That does all beg the question... what IS causing the restriction? Is the the Cat? The Dump pipe? Anyone know?

Well, there is only 2 real world restrictive to flow volume sections on the ex system.

1/ the exh turbine housing on the turbo, but thats given and not going to change so need to look elsewhere to mod

2/ the inards of the cat converter.

and i spose those that have a DPF

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in my expert opinion, those that have a DPF.......got sucked in bad...or ripped off should i say

No i don't feel that lucky. But i am looking forward to a full 2.5" system and new dump pipe. Let's see if they can undo the bolts from the turbo with them breaking

As Krankin says removing the DPF is illegal but anyone who thinks they are big scarey beasts that really effect an engine too much is not as switched on as they'd like to be. Sure they can have an effect and sure they can cause problems but so can everything in the car including the idiot behind the wheel yet not too many of those get removed due to restrictions.

Ha, too true!! But like i said, modifying the exhaust and cutting it off where i did, pretty much did nothing except make the turbo a bit louder, which is good for impressing the ladies :wristy: (LOL), but not much else. So basically, the point of my post is, it's pointless unless you have a few spare hours on your hands like i did. Wouldn't have touched it if i wasn't getting a full system / DP done.

Latest posts

Back