Now That's a Jacknife!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVR

Reaction score
]Hi Guys, It's been a while so I thought I better touch base and let you know whats been happening in DVR land.
In Dec 2011 we moved from Adelaide to the Gold Coast ,but it wasn't exactly smooth sailing.
All the furniture went with the removalist and we hitched the caravan to the NAV, Loaded it to the max and set off on a friday evening. The plan was to meet them at the house onTuesday morning 7am. Spent the first night somewhere near BALRANALD and set off early the next day and about 150K past HAY, we stopped for lunch.
After lunch we left and found ourselves climbing a bit of a hill, we just snicked 3rd gear as we came over the crest, when a truck went past and that started us swaying. The NAV only swayed about 3 times and we left the road.
We only made it 3k, it was Saturday, 1pm, hot as hell.
2011-12-17_15-06-40_859_zps194cdb61.jpg

2011-12-17_15-07-53_361_zps95150845.jpg

2011-12-17_15-07-27_760_zps2e8b2d25.jpg

I cant tell you what this felts like, you wouldn't understand.
Just as the dust cleared the first car stopped to help, then another, and another. one was an off duty cop. She said the car has to be towed.
Long story short, Got trailered to Griffith where we signed the necessary papers to get the car repaired and caravan inspected. We were then ushered outside the crash repairs and the gate was locked.

It was 5.30 we only had the clothes on our backs, a dog on a lead and a cat in a cage.

It took about 1 1/2 hours to find a hotel that would take us with no little amount of pleading. We had the hotel owner on our side but his manager bluntly refused, pointing to the"NO Pets" sign. Finally the owner grabed her(the manager) made her face us and told her to "JUST LOOK AT THEM"
She couldn't do enough for us from that point on.

The next day I made a call to a mate who lives on the gold coast. Without hesitation he hired a trailer and set of to rescue us. He got to griffith at 5am monday.
By the time we got everything transferred from the NAV and the Van It was about midday. The weather was appalling, like driving into a fire hose all the way, all night, till we got passed WARRICK.

We got to our new house at 5am.
The removalist turned up at exactly 7am.
I flew back to Griffith on AUSSIE day to pick up the NAV as good as new. The caravan was a write off.

Anyway, we are all settled in our new home, I have a great job and the family love it here.

Last edited:
Far out - lucky it didn't go over on you.

Glad there was happy ending!

Holy crap! Mate that is some bad luck right there, I feel for you. Luckily nobody was hurt at least. You probably wouldn't want to think about it too much but do you think there would have been any way to avoid something like this happening again or was it just a freak accident sort of thing? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how a passing truck would have caused it? Too much weight in the van? Too much ball weight or not enough? Anyway glad the D22 lives on, thank god for insurance.

That's quite some experience. No one would want to go through.

There is something wrong with this counties hotel/motel keepers, with their attitude towards family pets. At least in the end they let you stay.

Good to see it all worked out in the long run and hope life goes well for you family in Adelaide.

Thanks guys. I dunno why for sure the thing bucked around. Up till then it was dead stable up to 100kmph. Push it over that it would start acting up and wobble a bit but I never felt scared of it. I had a Haymon/reece hitch with load levelers. Maybe if I'd hit the manual trailer brake it would have pulled her straight. Who knows?
Damn it went wrong quickly though. Maybe 5 seconds, tops.

Hey DVR . Good to hear things turned out Ok for you guys . Just to make sure the Nav is ok , you should nick out to the muster :eek:

Can't imagine the thoughts that would race through your mind as that was happening, I believe scary would be a under statement. Glad it's fixed and everyone's ok, as you mention it becomes hard when travelling with animals, we travel with our dog and it's ok with your own van, but the troubles that would be had if you need to stay somewhere else due to unforeseen circumstances is a issue for anyone traveling with there pets

i can see the motels side of it . while we all love the family pet not all people have the same opinion . good to see all has ended well.

Bloody hell that was lucky , as long as nobody was hurt and everyone is safe is the main point

Latest posts

Back