Odd engine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a 2010 ST turbo diesel with a 5 speed auto. I am getting a funny noise that sounds like a washing machine on a wash cycle coming from engine bay. Usually in second and third gear when accelerating from standing start. Noise comes in at about 2000rpm. Dual cab with no load on back. 35000km still under warranty Nissan say until they can hear noise they won't fix it. Any help guys?

don't worry about it cause they don't have wastegates.

noises are very hard to solve in person let alone over the net.
take a video or audio recording of it.

Lol the noise doesn't happen all the time. Some days it there all the time then you don't hear it for two or three days. Hot or cold engine temp nothing consistent. Although when the solenoid on the turbo went the noise wasn't there for a month until it was fixed. Then the noise was back straight away.

It sounds like a washing machine filling up with water? And stops when you back of the right foot?

Could it be the variable vane in the turbo?

Next time it happens don't push into it back off the slightest and ride it out slowly increasing the right foot....

Mine does a similar thing my thoughts is the computer is controlling the boost? And when you granny foot it it runs low levels and when it's in that mode when you boot it, it's trying to recalibrate and deliver that power....

Or I could be a freaking space cadet hahaha

All turbos need a waste gate or blow of vales well my understanding and MY2012 ST has on you rev her and she will sing. Well Now you have explained it a little more I'm guessing its not the waste gate, or your only hearing it some of the time. Try in neutral rev her up to about 2100 the quickly take you foot off it she makes a noise that will be your was gate. or try to record it and take it to a mechainc and asked them what they think it is. Not A dealership but a, mechainc

Yep tiger that's my next option, but I was thinking more of a diesel engineer although that may be going overboard just some ammo against the Nissan bean counters

All turbos need a waste gate or blow of vales well my understanding .....
they use variable turbo. no wastegates on them. they use variable vanes inside the turbo to control boost.

noise could just be normal turbo whistle, or whistle caused by blocked up air filter, or turbo overboosting, or an exhaust leak.
really hard to know without hearing it.

Still maybe nothing, but a normal nosie. The D40 make many noises that dont sound normal. They hiss when idle sounds like something leaking but its normal couldnt find any videos on you tube of a d40 wastegate maybe they dont have one due to there fancey turbo but mine does make the sound off one and I love it.

Cheers all things possible with it just being noise and nothing else but I hope it not a breakable noise just as the warranty runs out if you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Back