Odometer pause

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngametu1

Reaction score
Hey all I know this is illegal but with the prices of everything and I'm on the brinks of losing my house due to high interest rates I was wondering if anyone could guide me to switch my odometer on and off so I don't have to pay so much road users as life is getting a bit tough and I'm over paying for road users and expensive diesel. Cheers

Hey all I know this is illegal but with the prices of everything and I'm on the brinks of losing my house due to high interest rates I was wondering if anyone could guide me to switch my odometer on and off so I don't have to pay so much road users as life is getting a bit tough and I'm over paying for road users and expensive diesel. Cheers
Huh, is that in NZ?

Huh, is that in NZ?
yep.
diesels gone up insane amounts, plus we pay road tax on top of that.
the real wedgy in the groin is the insanely overinflated house prices. the interest rate is not bad (its only 1.5% up from when i first started), its just house prices are insane for our typical shit box excuse for houses, so every little increase is big $$$. and if you don't buy an expencive house to fund granddads retirement, you get gouged on the rental market.

Good to know we aren't the only ones feeling the pinch with fuel prices, diesel in Sydney is around $2.10 to $2.30 per litre depending where you live, wouldn't put it past our so called Green Energy Minister Bowen to try and introduce that scheme here🤬

If your running a GPS for your speed you could possibly make the connection not exist. It might not be legal though, but after all it would only be an electrical circuit or 2 that could easily be reconnected.

If your running a GPS for your speed you could possibly make the connection not exist. It might not be legal though, but after all it would only be an electrical circuit or 2 that could easily be reconnected.
difficult because they use the abs sensors to read the speed. a lot of vehicles these days don't have gearbox speed sensors anymore.
i have heard of some you can pull the fuse and still drive, others it goes into limp mode.

Better to get out protesting I reckon, NZ is now a totally unaffordable hole. Beautiful country and some lovely people but it’s gone to ratshit in the last 5 years

Better to get out protesting I reckon, NZ is now a totally unaffordable hole. Beautiful country and some lovely people but it’s gone to ratshit in the last 5 years
Yea I get it nz is a bit difficult to live on but we gotta do what we gotta do for our families, man I wish I could move to Oz a lot of people I know are doing it.

Yea I get it nz is a bit difficult to live on but we gotta do what we gotta do for our families, man I wish I could move to Oz a lot of people I know are doing it.
Moved to Nz in 2020 from the Uk and will hopefully be moving to Oz in February 24, $200k a year combined earnings and it’s still a struggle, I pity those on lower incomes. Nz really is in trouble.

most of the big problems have been decades in the making, the last 5 years has been icing on the cake.
the problems caused by the last few years would have been tolerable otherwise.
the last few generations have been making a heap of money off the current generation who can no longer afford it. yet no one does anything about it. even changing govts will not solve it.

Moved to Nz in 2020 from the Uk and will hopefully be moving to Oz in February 24, $200k a year combined earnings and it’s still a struggle, I pity those on lower incomes. Nz really is in trouble.
i'm ~1/4 of that. i'm guessing your biggest cost is housing.

most of the big problems have been decades in the making, the last 5 years has been icing on the cake.
the problems caused by the last few years would have been tolerable otherwise.
the last few generations have been making a heap of money off the current generation who can no longer afford it. yet no one does anything about it. even changing govts will not solve it.

i'm ~1/4 of that. i'm guessing your biggest cost is

Housing is ridiculous in Auckland bud, I guess everywhere in the world is going down the shitter but you maybe notice more in a lower population country. Uk is criminally expensive according to friends back there also. Time to find a single cab ute I reckon and find a demountable and live on the road 🤪

Housing is ridiculous in Auckland bud, I guess everywhere in the world is going down the shitter but you maybe notice more in a lower population country. Uk is criminally expensive according to friends back there also. Time to find a single cab ute I reckon and find a demountable and live on the road 🤪
its utter insane everywhere in NZ, even cheap rural towns.
UK is following suit but its not as bad.
i think nz size makes it a lot easier for the market to be manipulated. even national have been promoting making it even worse. all those voting oldies who are coming up retirement time and want to sell their "investment" to pay for their retirement. their lifestyle is paid by your mortgage.

Australia is not really all that different. A typical income for an unskilled office worker would be in the $70-80K mark. Let's call it $90K just to make sure we're not skewing the things to make Australia look too good.

When I was starting work, that same office worker (which I was one) was earning $25K a year. Well, I was earning $22K plus overtime. But anyway ...

Back then (early 80s) we were buying houses for $50K in a good suburb (I know, my wife bought one of these).

These days, a house in a less-affluent suburb will cost you around the $1M mark (again, personal experience).

So in the 80s a house would cost you 2 years' salary. Today, it costs you 10 years. House prices in Australia have gone up 5 times more than income has in the space of 40 years.

Rents are also ridiculous. We now live in a small country town that has no major supermarket, no branded fuel station, is utterly dead on Mondays and after 5pm you'd be lucky to see a drop bear howling because it can't get another victim. But the cheapest house you can rent here is $420 a week and the price of even a weatherboard dogbox (3 bedroom house) has started to surge past $600K.

And our nearest major shopping centre is 50km away.

It's not just NZ. Australia is also wearing this sort of ridiculous, and it's not all the governments' fault - it's the investors who also share some of the blame.

Going back on topic, yes, the speed sensor wire where it enters the instrument cluster can be cut and a switch put in.

It will stop the speedometer and cruise control too.

You will need to browse the workshop manual for your model to check which wire.

Going back off topic, living in Europe I had no idea that Au/NZ housing was so expensive. Where I am at the moment, I can buy a nice little fixer upper for €20k, something a bit worse, sub €5k(about $9k AUD)

Last edited:
I know right, I've got my mom on the sickness benifit and I don't know how they are surviving aye, I'm just able to pay my mortgage bills fuel etc etc and not sure how we are still surviving ourselves as everything is crazy pricey. We are also 200k combined.

I’m sorry to hear about your predicament, however changing the Odometer is not only illegal but more of a concern is you’d be ripping of some other young guy wishing to by a Navara, which has an incorrect odometer reading. Either change your transport arrangements or sell and buy a small economical car.

It's not just NZ. Australia is also wearing this sort of ridiculous, and it's not all the governments' fault - it's the investors who also share some of the blame.
its happening all over, its just nz is leading the way. small market makes it easier to do.
but its certainly govts fault, after all they let the investors do what they want. at least here they dropped the housing controls back in the late 70's, then put restrictions on land etc late 80's (so those in the know can dictate what gets done where). so big decline in houses being built, which ups the price of existing homes.
add in that its all tax free which makes it super appealing to everyone, so everyone is now an investor (if they like it or not). only added a limited tax in more recent years which only applies to a minority.
they knew 40 years ago what would happen and have lined their pockets every since. this is why they won't fix it, to many people still expect to get rich off housing.

One of the reasons that there is a housing rental shortage is that people are changing their long term rentals to AirB&B. More money to be made, but now people dont have the money to go on holidays.
The world is going backwards, you and i can see it, people in the pub seem to know how to fix it but not the government, why?
Cost of living, Electricity, Housing, Travel, water supply etc, what is the best way to solve these things? but the government chooses the opposite, why?
I say we all band together and cut that wire in the back of the dash !
...........Hey, my car stopped! err does anyone know what that blue and orange wire does?

Latest posts

Back