Oil Catch can mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK jobs done
A few metres of fuel hose line and we are all set

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Tried to do everything so it blends in with the factory stuff

hey guys,

forgive my dumb question but i am new to diesels as i have only had my D22 ZD30 for 3 weeks now and i am curious about these catch can.
Can someone explain why we need one and what they do?

Cheers
Tony.

The catch can is there to separate the oil from the air recycled into the inlet manifold or turbo. The PCV system sucks in air from the filtered air and pumps that through the engine to get all the vapours n stuff from within the engine. It then pipes that back into the inlet. the catch can is to capture the oil from the mix so you dont end up with oil through the turbo and intercooler.in days of old before the greenies attacked us they used to just run the fumes from the engine to the atmosphere but now we have to recycle it back into the engine.
the oil in the mix lowers the octane rating of the fuel and doesnt help performance or economy. we are taking the oil out of the air and draining it manually

Aussie Frontier, are you fitting the returnhose to the intake tube? I always had this slightly uneasy feeling about small steel wool particles possibly ending up in the intake tract....

Apart from it being illegal. Is there any reason why you can't have a breather on the catch can instead of returning it to the intake. So there is not risk of anything goin back into the intake that shouldn't be

Dragging back an oldy here
I finally had to drain the catch can. It was half full so even the VQ40 will benefit in some way .I believe the diesels would have more discharge but it just goes to show that this mod will work on both petrol and diesel.

Would definitely be interesting to see the inlet manifold of a truck without a catch compared to one with .

can anyone take a close up of exactly which pipe is the in and which one is the out of a d40 08 model please. I'm keen to complete this mod, but couldn't quite tell where the pipes are exactly coming from the engine. I can imagine myself running the wrong hoses to the catch can etc etc. Thanks in advance

Russ

Can looks good mate, they should all come with with something like this, the empty cans are pretty useless at catching anything, since most turbos will just force-suck most of the vapor back into the intake anyway.

I ended up getting one of the pro-vent style cans, with the washable filter for my navara, am yet to fit it, but im impressed with the design...should be good.

ah sweet that answers my question. didnt realise you had petrol. i will have to get the 15mm inlets for mine

cheers

My qd3.2 has 10mm oil breather line.
my td42 patrol mate said his was 12mm
id measure first, 15mm might be overkill.

Latest posts

Back