oil changed at mechanic car turning of on idle/driving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkd20b

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

I joined because I need some help ASAP.

I borrowed my fathers Navara 2010 d40. 155,000kms turbo diesel.

drove up to Newcastle from Canberra car drove fine.

Had a oil change and oil filter changed up here and drove the car home 1km felt fine.

Next day I drove the car and it switched of on me while driving. started it up again after a little while and got it home.

How ever the last to times iv started the car and left it it has turned of while idling.

The car seems to drive alright but I guess I just keep panicking it will turn of again while driving.

I took the car back to the mechanic this morning they looked around ran a computer on it and said no errors.

arguing that they where the last people to have touched the car and that it was not like this before hand didn't get far.

I read something about navaras and to much oil maybe doing something similar.

we let some oil out and drive it to work fine but after 8 hours sitting in the car park I turned it on and it died again in idle but I did drive it home ok?

any one ever experienced this or some info will be great.

I plan on taking it back again tomorrow as he said if it happens again bring it back.

d40's with the YD25DDTi engine takes 6.9 litres to fill up to max with oil filter change as well.
are you sure they filled up the same amount? (7 litres is fine)
are you sure your dad didnt have the same problems before the oil change?
did they touch anything else?

well they did not tell me exactly how much they poured on receipt it just says 5w 30 for oil and filter the lady in the office did say that it took more then they thought and charged me $141.

Yeah there was no problems before hand car has been driving really well last few months.

I only asked for a oil change and oil filter. so if any thing else is touched its with out my consent.

trip meter is still the same as I have been recording the kilometres on there for work.

so I don't think its a battery issue especiall because e everything battery wise works fine.

You can actually disconnect your battery once the engine has started, the alternator should keep everything going and that's my mistake, it won't be the battery but it still sounds electrical. Like a poor connection in the ignition (seen before).

However, let's make sure we're absolutely clear on what happens. When the car "turns off", does it actually switch off (no lights, no indication on dash, radio turns off) or does the engine stop but electricals keep functioning, or does the engine seem extremely limited in power but still turns over (limited to 1800-2000rpm)?

In other words, what works and what doesn't work once the failure occurs?

well when it stoped mid drive the car wouldn't even try turn over first time had to push it to side of road then later it started.

when turns of in idle I'm pretty sure the electrics still stay on and car starts normal after.

i will have a better look when i can.

to mention while driving the day after the oil change i did here a loud sorta knock and revs dropped. i did smell like a hot oil smell and it went away like within seconds i thought it might have been a motorbike pulled over we drove past then later the car turned of mid drive. i drove the car to the club to watch the ufc it sat there for good 4/5 hours then on drive home is when it turned off.

for new oil it is rather very think looking and black not sure if this is common on diesel cars when they have a oil change.

Diesel oil turns black fairly quickly, mostly because of the EGR but also because it's a diesel. If you block the EGR valve, the oil will last longer but it will still blacken over time. Comes from blow-by - the higher compression arrangement and the higher energy within the combustion chamber ensures that there's a good deal of blow-by happening.

Will wait to hear the other observations. A single loud knock followed by revs dropped could be a combination of anything (like a bird strike combined with a coincidental SCV blockage).

When the car stopped mid drive and wouldn't even try to turn over, are you saying that the instrument cluster was alight, but it wouldn't start? When you tried to start it, do you recall if the instrument cluster lights dimmed a lot when you tried?

Sounds like its time for an auto elec. In the meantime check fuses and loose wires. Listen to tony, he will help diagnose your problem.

yeah I'm pretty sure the instrument lights were on when it turned of and i tried starting it again. maybe something could have been knocked loose. when they did the oil change.

what oil should be used in the navara? on the recept it says 5w 30 was used. could they have used the wrong oil?

and just put down 5w30 on the receipt

Different oil won't make a difference. 5W30 is good. Has to be JASO-FD grade (I think it's API-4) or better if you've got an auto with its DPF still intact. If it's a manual then lower spec oil is just fine. The issue is not that it will make the car stop like you've experienced, the issue is blocking the DPF with ash from oil passed into the engine via the PCV. Won't be your problem at all.

Could the guys have bumped something? Sure. Chances are slim but yeah, of course. The ECU sits on the right side of the engine bay against the sidewall and they'd have to lean over it to change the filter unless they do it from underneath. The cables to the ECU is locked into place but the earth isn't always perfect and jostling it might dislodge it - but that will also very likely reset your trip meter when it happens, so that's unlikely.

Knowing how much is unavailable when the engine cuts out is crucial. If the engine still actually runs but is limited in revs and power it's probably the SCV on the fuel pump that's either blocked, damaged or worn.

If the engine stops turning over but the instrument lights are still working - so once the engine stops, the battery and oil lights come on - then it's something that is stopping the motor. Diesels need fuel and air at the right time, otherwise they're bulletproof. Fuel is delivered by the fuel pump through the injectors, which are instructed to open at a certain time based on the crank angle sensor (CAS - in the manual referred to as the CKP or CranK Position sensor). This is near the starter motor which is below the oil filter - and COULD have been bumped, particularly if they accessed the filter from underneath.

The injector connectors are all along the top of the motor and probably untouched, and very unlikely to be an issue.

The fuel pump which lies on the lower right hand side of the motor towards the front has an electrical connection as well, which is crucial - the rear of this is close enough to where they were working so checking its plugs is also worth doing.

It's unlikely to be the air side, which is mostly governed by the MAFS which sits in the rear of the air intake hose just outside the air filter box.

I took the car back today told him to have a good lock at what could possibly be wrong.

he reckons the fuel filter had a bit of water and gunk in there. said he will change it free of labour if I pay for the fuel filter.

How ever my father did say he changed the fuel filter 10,000km ago.

I really hope this is the go and the greatest coincidence in the world that the fuel filter spoiled when I parked the car and left.

but yeah just think its bullshit that the car got there fine but left there turning of.

coincidence I went to the pub and he came there. sitting behind me talking shit about me bringing in the car for a oil change and oil filter and coming back saying cars not working.

he seems like a asshole. I'm just doing what is right as a customer who left a perfect working car and picked up a car that turns off alone lol

ok old tony hope your out there, need your help.

Got the car back AGAIN. changed fuel filter because he said there was water in it and air filter for said it was real dirty.

he charged me charged me $81.

said he tried the car on cold start and worked alright and test drove it.

picked the car up after work jumped in the car started it and it starts fine.

drove it around for a lap, all good.

get home left the car for maybe 2 minutes running in the drive way all good.

later I go to put put the washing on the line, thought I would start it and check on it when done.

had no more then 7/8 socks put them up came back to the car and what do you know.

car has turned of on idle again. no more then 1/2.5 mins lol.

had a look the dash lights still all on.

on the receipt it says they used 7.5L of oil.

could they have used to much oil.

what are the symptoms of a car with to much oil?

Latest posts

Back