Oil filter removal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Henshaw

Reaction score
OK new to the D40/YD25. Had a couple of d22's in the past and have previously owned 2 car service centres - so not a newbie. But how the F#@k do you get at the oil filter? I bought the correct size round tool to grip the filter but I'll be buggered if I can get a socket extension to fit around all the crap above the filter. Tried with a wobbly on the extension but still no joy. Can anyone tell me what the secret is please????

It's a pain in the clacker from the top.

Once the truck is jacked up or on ramps I lie behind the d/s front wheel and reach up from underneath and undo it with my left hand. I can also get my filter remover (cheap strap type) on it from underneath too if it needs a little help to get started. Fairly easy from under there.

I get to it with much difficulty from the wheel well, pulling the plastic liner back a little. When it's off i turn it upright and wriggle it out through the top of the engine bay, pulling aside any hoses that are in the way. Always nervous that I am going to drop it and splatter oil everywhere. I can usually undo it by hand but have had to use a cheap strap type and have just enough room to undo by incremental amounts.

Last edited:
If you undo the bracket holding the dipstick and pull it away from the engine plus unclip the power steering reservoir and pull that back it opens up reasonable access for your right hand/arm to go down and across towards the filter. I use a typical metal strap style remover (Toolpro brand photo below) and haven't had a problem getting the old one off and the new one on.

1689061323031.png

I have no probs from thr top. I use the expanding claw type removal tool to loosen it. Have to join a couple of extenders to reach the fitting on the claw. Pain in the butt the first but now easy as...

Latest posts

Back