Oil found in radiator and missing coolant

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynndog

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I found some oil in my radiator last weekend. It looked like it was old, but you wouldn't know. I immediately thought head gasket or cracked head, however after ringing a couple of reputable diesel repairers they said the likely culprit could be the oil cooler.
I checked the engine oil and it has no signs of water or anything and smells fine. Likewise the reservoir had traces of an oily substance but to be honest I have never paid much attention to it so not sure how long it has been there.
I haven't noticed any problems with temperature or any odd smells.
Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks Dave. I just went out and ran it for a bit to get the engine warm and in the reservoir there was a bubble every 3-4 seconds or so. Head problem?

I wouldn't go pulling the head until its had a leakdown test.

Is the temp changing ?

Mum's VT Commodore had oil leaking into the coolent, ended up being a manifold gasket which my brother done as I didn't have time.

Dave.

I haven't noticed the temp gauge moving above the 'normal' range (just under half/Half) at all. There are no signs of anything wrong except coolant was low and traces of an oily substance around the radiator.I am not game to drive anywhere as I don't want to cause any more damage to it if there is a major issue.
I have also been told to remove the oil cooler and get it checked. Do you think maybe I should take it to a radiator place first and get some answers?

HI all, got the Nav back today, and it all looks ok. :) The guys tested the entire cooling system and they found no issue, apart from a faulty radiator cap. Also it was fairly gunked up so copped a flush.

He said it is not uncommon for diesels to leak a small amount of oil through some gaskets, and also commodores are renowned for the problem.

A $10 radiator cap. Gotta be happy with that.

Mine is still running the original radiator cap. I bought 2 off Garry a while back so might change mine soon.

Yeah I have heard that about the Dunnydores to.

Dave.

i would keep an eye on it still, i know when i was chasing a head for my zd30, it took 4 gos before i found one that wasnt cracked, and it was still warped, no 4 cyl seems to be the culprit. mine was cracked down the valve stem on the exhaust side exhaust valve, and the other in a similar area.

Apparently where the coolant runs behind the oil cooler, there is a gasket which can leak. Checking coolant everyday now and will monitor how it goes

Doesnt the radiator have an oil cooler in the bottom tank. Oil pressure is higher than ur cooling system. there fore oil will leak into ur coolant before water goes in ur transmission. Radiator shops cannot test for these leaks. These shops do a cold test due to the oil cooler proberbly only leaking when it gets hot. My opinion change ur radiator asap This is the first sign of bad things. ( i have owned a rad shop for 12 years)

Hi guys. Took my Nav up to Zig Zag a couple of weeks ago and got it home and parked it up at home. I had a hand operation and didn't drive it until I got back from Broome the other day.
I noticed it that when it started it was really rough, and shook a fair bit, for around 2-3 seconds then settled into the standard cold running.
Then I noticed that there was a bit of what looked like white smoke, and I immediatelty thought back to this issue/thread. It then turns a normal exhaust colour (brown/blackish) but has more than it used to (used to have no visible smoke)

Checked the radiator again and oil.

Hard to check the oil as it isn't on a level surface and I couldn't be bothered moving it down the road, but the radiator AGAIN has a fair amount of oil/exhaust residue. Got pics this time.

Gasket, or two seperate issues? Maybe a radiator leak and blocked injectors? Have been running the tanks a little lower than I should lately. Or is it just old and cold and grumpy.

Let us know what you think.

Any ideas would be good before I book it in.

flynndog-albums-radiator-picture997-leaking-radiator-003.jpg

flynndog-albums-radiator-picture996-leaking-radiator-002.jpg

flynndog-albums-radiator-picture995-leaking-radiator-001.jpg

Hi Flynndog, probably just guessing (talking from my arse) here but my experience with head gasket failures they usually always involve at least some coolant contamination of your engine. During engine braking if the gasket is gone it will usually be from a compression blowout so the vaccuum from decelleration will suck coolant into the bore then it bleeds down the side of the piston into the sump. Unlikely that the gasket will fail just between the oil and coolant galleries unless there was some very poor workmanship during installation but anything is possible hey? Driving it is probably unwise.

Flynndog
dont go ripping it all apart without some diagnosis first or you may end up chasing you tail for big $$$, i would start by completely flushing the cooling system and adding some stop leak (orange bottle stuff) also a pressure test of the cooling system will help, although the rad shop did one do one yourself for peace of mind. and see if that stops it, if it doesnt then you know it is on the oil side of the engine which may be a fine crack or gasket in the oil cooler which can also be pressure tested and a common symptom of a cooler leaking is not overheating of the engine just basically running normally. or it may be the head or gasket but too much diagnosis is better than none.
best of luck if you have any other questions i will do my best to help
just remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.
good luck
cheers
brent

Latest posts

Back