Oil Lo warning

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acko13

Reaction score
Had an odd one last evening. I was out in the bush driving up an incline. I had to stop to open a gate, so I switched off the engine. When I started it up again, the oil warning light was flashing. Drove to flat ground and switched off.
Checked the dipstick and there was plenty of oil it seemed. Started up again and it did it again. The warning light goes off after 30 seconds.

Hmmm.......I let it sit for about 30 minutes whilst we had some tea and then tried again. Problem gone.

Checked the oil level this morning on flat ground and it was down about half an inch from the top mark....roughly half a litre, after some 9,000 kim since the last service.

It's a 2011 D40 and due for service next week. Rang the dealer and he said that these things have sensors that are very sensitive, and the fact that I was on an incline may well have had something to do with it.

They will "check it out"........anyone else had this happen?

Can't say I have but I have a ZD30, it's probably not so sophisticated, good thing it went away though, I couldn't imagine it being very serious as these machines are designed for inclines.

Had the same thing happen to me a few times and it has been mentioned a few times on this forum. The first time it happened on mine I'd done less than 10K and spent the previous day driving in 45 degree heat 1000ks from home so I took obvious steps like checking oil several times and watching temps etc but still drove it a further 4000ks away from home without too much concern.

Since then the few times it's happened I haven't even bothered checking the oil. I'd know if the thing dumped enough oil to be low and it's only happened on hills. As stated it has come up before on this forum and there is another thread about it somewhere but one of the reasons given for it is so ridiculous it can only be co-incidence so I don't want to search for it.

There was one suggestion about the location of the sensor and the incline meaning that a particular angle could set off the warning but as none of us have recorded the exact inclines etc it's about as plausible as can be offered

Trust the dispstick, not the electronics. However having said that, you could always have trouble with the oil pump, do they still have oil pumps these days??? I feel so out of touch :-(

I remember reading about a prado that had its engine seize up cause they were stationary on an incline waiting for a snatch out of a bog and the oil level went below the pickups or something, that was a 1kz-te though probably would never happen to a nissan :S

I've had the warning light come on while stationary on a flat surface a couple of times. The oil level on the dipstick was fine both times and the issue went away.
Hasn't happened for about a year now.

Thanks guys, I figured it was just the electronics.
It hasn't done it since, but the dealer will look for any messages on the computer when it is serviced next week.

Back