Oil Warning Light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revkev91

Reaction score
Drove my navara from sydney to newcastle for toranafest today. I let the d40 idle for about 5 minutes to cool down. When i got back to my car to drive home about 2 hours after turning the engine off. I started it up and the oil warning light came up on the dash so i turned it off and back on and the warning light came back on. I removed the cap where you fill up the engine oil to have a look. After removing the cap the warning light went off. Any ideas what would cause the warning light to turn on and how i could trouble shoot it.

Mines done that a few times, the best reasoning I ever heard for it happening was that the engine was started with the drivers door open....actually that might have been the worst reasoning too.

I thought the oil warning light was a level indicator, not a pressure sensor?

If that's the case, then releasing the filler cap would allow the top of the engine to fill with air, which would allow oil to flow back down where it couldn't before ... I'm thinking gunky oil channels and blocked PCV, oil gets pumped to the top, can't easily flow back down - early Commodores had a similar situation where the pumps were so efficient they could pump the entire sump contents into the heads and then de-prime.

More likely a loose electrical connection. Bloody things are the bane of our existence (and not just Navara owners, think of the poor guys facing the electric chair knowing they're only going to be half-cooked).

Latest posts

Back