Oils ain't oils

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirstychippy

Reaction score
just got 10000km service got home and checked the oil it was as black as the ace as of spades l drove home 10 km does that sound right to you guys...................

It goes black pretty quick, but 10kms doesnt sound much (plus a few kms that they have probably test driven it). I have checked mine after a day or 2 and it was not nice and clear, but not jet black yet.

yeah it can go black really quick. depends a lot on how many km's done before the change, what oil was used and most importantly how much oil was actually drained out.

what model navara do you have ?

d40 11200km manual,cant be right drove it less that 20 km and the oil is black, what is the oil filter doing then..........................

I guess the two possible scenario's are:

1. They didnt change the oil

2. There was still a fair bit of old oil in the galleries and it has mixed with the new oil. Maybe they drained the oil cold and it didnt flow out as well?

2a: Maybe the lazy buggers didnt change the filter?

I never bothered to check mine after the 10k and 20k services. Maybe I should have.

Even if they changed the oil, there could still be some oil lining the entire inside of the engine and lying in the head (this is part of the reason why they suggest you get the engine warm before changing the oil, so it can drain to the bottom faster).

If you're doubting that they changed the oil filter, have a look at yours and see if there are any tell-tale marks on it (or not). A new filter should look different to the rest of the engine, moreso if you've been offroad with it. You could change the oil yourself, too, and then KNOW what the difference is - perhaps after 10-20km the oil DOES turn black.

You might also be able to spot marks around the oil drain plug, where (even if they're careful) they will have shined the nut, or area around the plug, so that it's not the same as the rest of the surface of the sump. If that plug's been "tampered" with, it's a pretty sure bet the oil was changed.

l went back and told them to do it again, and this time watched them do it........drove home 10km checked the oil and it was still jet black......rang them to say sorry.........so there ya go lve learnt somthing new......

I bet bet your road bike does'nt have a diesel engine.

especially one that gulps large amount of EGR and runs on crap grade diesel !
i find the oil is substantially cleaner with egr blocked off.

may pay to do an oil change early than normal. the oil can only hold so much soot before it starts depositing it all over the engine.

I'd hate to see the pistons in that thing. Or the con rods, gudgeons, big ends ... wow.

be worse the other way round had to drain a full tank of petrol out of the 07 model turbo diesel rodeo last week lucky he didnt turn the key fun too no drain plug had to disconnect fuel line and use lift pump to empty it that was a fun day at work

I'd hate to see the pistons in that thing. Or the con rods, gudgeons, big ends ... wow.

LOL yeah its not as bad as you'd think. Mistook the Premium Diesel pump :nono: Rode off and 2 streets away it started to play up. So towed it to the mechanics to get fixed up. Just drained fuel and oil and good as new.
Maybe i should have check the colour of oil then lol

Latest posts

Back