Oops - I broke it

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys

I took the bash plate off last night, and then had ONE look at the front DIFF. it aint 'sealed' anymore thats for sure. Its got a huge crack top and bottom from front to rear. The whole out casing is totally ... ummm.... what scotty said !!!!

I'm up for a total replacement front diff.

Wondering if its possible to get it under warrantee ? (somehow i doubt nissan coming to the party)

So, if i have to replace it, how much will it cost? thats the million dollar question.

Both Scotty and myself will be making phone calls to various places to see where i can get a diff from, how much etc etc etc. I will also make a judgement call if its worth 'upgrading' the front diff with some sort of mechanical, electrical or air locker ....

If anyone has thoughts on the last part (lockers) - please PM scotty and myself (or post here)

I cant afford to muck around on this, the Nav needs to be ready for a drive to brisbane within 10 DAYS !!!

(Adio ... thought the clip was funny ... thanks)

I've got a suggestion for you but I'll just cop flack for suggesting it so instead I'll tell you to go and suck on a little Woody (if you took them) and you'll feel so much better.

PMSL Krafty.

Well, after a few phone calls and talking to people, the Front Diff's are soo weak that no-one is doing lockers for them - 'cause they will break so much faster if they did. I've heard a rumor that ARB might be doing a replacement diff that's a bit stronger, which i'll follow up on, but at the moment its just a rumor.

Rumors aren't much good to you if you need the ute in 10 days, better upgrade to a real 4wd, or do a full conversion on the X-trail after all the Mrs should be the only one ever allowed to drive your vehicles off road from now on :ha:

SAS it, or buy a Patrol, D40's aren't a serious 4WD,

Mate, i wish i had the TIME and the MONEY to do it - but the car must be back on the road in ONE week as i'm doing a trip to Brisbane.

UPDATE:

Thanks to Scottybobcat who through his contacts a replacement front diff has been found. I have just paid for it and am getting it couried accross to me (should arrive tomorrow)

As the car is with Berwick Nissan having other warrantee work down on it (clutch return spring, passenger rear window switch, fan belts adjustment) they will keep the car their until the diff arrives tomorrow and will fit it up for me. I should have the car back on the road in A1 condition sometime Wednesday.

Scottybobcat, for your help i think i owe you a bottle of Scotch (or Jim Bean if you prefer). Thanks heaps for the phone calls and help you have given to me over the past 36 hours. Your a legend Mate. :cheers!:

I ended up getting Woody a complete 2nd hand front diff for $770.00 inc gst which has done under 10,000 kms.Very good considering Nissan want $2637.00 +gst and thats just the diff.
Again Niss 4x4 has looked after me and a forum member and will be happy to be part of sponsoring the National Navara Muster.

NISS 4x4 0393999771 ask for Adam

Rumors aren't much good to you if you need the ute in 10 days, better upgrade to a real 4wd, or do a full conversion on the X-trail after all the Mrs should be the only one ever allowed to drive your vehicles off road from now on :ha:

Well, i'm glad it was ME driving it when it broke. Hate to think of my reaction if the wifey was driving it and broke it. Dont worry, she has already told me that she'll be doing more of the driving, and i'll be forced to be passenger. She keeps reminding me that she has NEVER had an accident, and i just keep breaking the car.

ALSO
in the past 24 hours, i've test driven my mates 2nd hand prado he bought 4 weeks ago - and also my father-in-laws 2nd hand 100 series auto landcruiser. This morning i jumped back into my Navara and instantly hated both the toyota's. Those auto's just wont get up and go like the manual D40 does.

Even though i have broken the front diff (at least i know what i cant do in the nav), i still prefer to drive the navara over the station wagons. The cruiser just felt like a bloody big tank and you really needed to give the big desiel a hard right boot to get it to even move. The Prado was a bit better with the 3.5l petrol, but not by much - the auto let it down in my opinion.

I guess i'll be treating my Nav with a bit more respect on hard tracks, and be more prepared to winch over hard area's rather than bashing my way through them. I've been watching too many 4x4action dvd's with my 5 yr old son i think.

She keeps reminding me that she has NEVER had an accident, and i just keep breaking the car.

All I can say is hehehehe you deserve that.

Well that's a bit of a lie, I can say a lot more but I wont because I don't want to hurt your feelings. I wonder if the new hat is a bad luck charm :sarcastic:

Good luck Woody - I hope it all comes together. Good get by bobcat.

Choose the safe line - that's my approach - nothing broken and never stuck. I'd much rather spend the day driving than winching or snatching.

Last edited:
Woody, check out that link Bosshog posted up.

The R200 will be the way to go long term.

Woody, check out that link Bosshog posted up.

The R200 will be the way to go long term.

Dave

i read right through that post, which i think was started back in july last year, and still not finish by january this year.

i cant wait and play around for 6 months to undertake a custom front end rebuild like that, and i only had a standard 2" ironman lift kit, not fancy a calmani kit.

My needs are a bit more urgent than that, so the near new 2nd hand front diff (albeit stock standard) is the way i must go for now. BUT, if i sell my boat, i'll have money to burn on the car - and can then do a full 6" snake racing lift kit and then i might put patrol diffs front and rear with a front axle conversion as well instead of IFS !!!

do a full 6" snake racing lift kit and then i might put patrol diffs front and rear with a front axle conversion as well instead of IFS !!!

I want to do this, but a) I can't find anyone here in Adelaide prepared to do it (the SAS part) and then b) get it certified for rego.

Na I mean't look into it long term.

However, if your going Patrol diffs.

Sell that boat and get into it.

Woody ought to buy a Sherman tank, it will go just as far but atleast there is some hope he wont break it.

Latest posts

Back