Organising the Next musters, 2013, 2014, etc

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would a place like Fraser affect the liability insurance, etc of the committee?

The insurance for the committee (for the event) covers injury caused by something organised for/during the event. If we went to Fraser Island and you went for a swim and were eaten by a shark, you couldn't claim - firstly because you'd be friggin' dead, secondly because you made the choice to swim and swimming wasn't part of the organised events. It is true that you could claim that by holding the muster at that venue it should have been expected that you might go for a swim. This is why people have to sign disclaimers when they arrive.

However, it would increase the insurance premium, because it's a public area not a private arena, which means unknown person(s) (who had NOT signed the disclaimers) could play a part in an incident.

This isn't a bad idea.

Queensland was supposed to be next but there's also the thought that holding it on the same weekend every year at the same location has value as well (look at the Deni ute muster). I definitely think a poll is worth having, particularly on locations.

The original idea was to put the event at a central location (Gilgandra is about as central as we could get for the four highest population centres), then follow it up by moving to various states to let more people from those states come along and have fun.

Naturally the original event had more NSW people show than anyone else. We expected that there'd be more Victorians for this year's event but apart from Geoff, only ONE person from Vic had actually signed up. Note: we can't fork out money for shirts or hats and stickers and other stuff just based on the "I think I might come along ... oh fuggit, I might go wash my favourite bonsai pot".

I must also add that the committee was rather screwed around this year with numerous delays - probably not intended to sabotage the event but that was what the result was. We couldn't get a venue early enough, and when we finally could, some other bastards had "just booked in ahead of us" so we had to look elsewhere. As it was, we had to change weekends because of a conflict with other groups. I don't think this gained us much favour with potential attendees.

Personally, I'm determined that this won't happen again. Either we get a firm commitment from attendees (which means cash, people) or the event doesn't happen. We'll also make DAMN sure that once the venue is picked, we'll secure the date and start asking people to cough DEPOSITS. Not the full amount. Just a token $20 or so per car will do, so that we can get actual numbers much, much earlier.

Part of our problem this year was planning how much of everything to get. How many people were coming? How many cars would there be? How many people had experience in off-road recovery, first aid etc? We didn't know. There was a lot less hype this year too - I do think BossHog was a solid, driving force and kept the momentum up. He's obviously good at that sort of thing. Add to that the loss of committee members, plus Luke losing his job and we really were behind the 8-ball.

But, maybe we should learn from this and leave the bad shit behind and start with next year.

Where do we go? Janowen Hills 4WD Park has good camping facilities and 4WD tracks of various grades. Good? I've had this place recommended to me by several people so naturally it's high on my list of places to check out. Luke (now Chairperson of the committee) has been there and rates the place very highly. Are there other places that should be considered? We need to have the following facilities:

* Toilets - preferably flushing, NOT pit/composting
* Garbage disposal
* Showers
* Undercover areas in case of rain
* Mustering area for welcomes, speeches, handouts & photos
* Circle Work Area (see, "CWA" is NOT something purely for women).
* 4WD tracks close by
* Nearby destinations of interest
* Fuel

Losing ONE of these things shouldn't be considered an event-killer. It's also nice to consider things like this:

* Entertainment - could just be campfires, but roping Lee Kerneghan might be fun (that is ROPE with an O)
* Food - a supplied dinner on one of the nights goes down well
* A separate area for kids to play in away from the vehicles and traffic
* The possibility of night 4WDing
* Phone/mobile internet coverage
* Having the site to ourselves

These things were all covered by the committee. We had one night run last year, we opted out of the band which was good because we didn't quite have enough money to cover it (although we could have gotten Kurt Cobain with a Ouija board). Ados also fulfilled ALL of the other requirements - even the little waterfall (who remembers its name? Hickey Falls!) - and of course Siding Springs Observatory.

There might be more things to consider. If there are, tell us! Help us - we're not doing this for ourselves, it's for everyone!

Most importantly, be up-front. If you want to go, say so and stand behind it. If you would like to go but can't stand the prick that writes these interminably long posts and THAT is why you won't go, then just say so. Unless we get good, accurate feedback, it's very difficult to guess. We've tried crystal balls and the only thing the bitch said was that my great uncle was now dead (duh), I'd come in to money within the week (yes, I got paid) and someone I knew would become sick. Like that doesn't happen every day.

So, yes - this is a good idea. Get the discussion happening.

Well said Tony!

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

Possible locations for QLD muster!

G'day fellow Navarian off-road trendsetters!

The following list might be of some help to the committee and forum members in deciding a possible venue for next years Queensland 2013 Muster;

1. Cape York!

2. Carnarvon gorge!

3. Fraser Island!

4. Gulf Country!

5. Janowen Hills 4WD Park

6. Landcruiser Mountain Park!

7. Manar Park

8. Morton Island!

9. Scenic Rim Adventure Park!

10. Gordon Country!

Note, that all off the Parks including Gordon Country, have rivers,creeks excellent 4x4 tracks to play with. All are caravan and camper trailer friendly and are also pet friendly. My wife and I over the years have been to all locations and all, are extremely good.

PS, I can make myself available to help organise next years Muster if required?

Regards,

RLI
:shotgun:

If so much effort is going to be put into the next muster due to this years flop and the reasons why it was a flop, it's only fair to put the effort back into the Vic muster since it didn't happen

If so much effort is going to be put into the next muster due to this years flop and the reasons why it was a flop, it's only fair to put the effort back into the Vic muster since it didn't happen

and have all the victorians not turn up again ??
wasnt that the main reason it was a flop?
so many vic's said "if you have it down here we will come"
qld deserves a chance
vic had there chance and blew it

we wont be attending the next one
unless its at the cape
we cant do 2 trips so close together
and we are 100% commited to the cape trip

Last edited:
howdy all, are you still doing the event ? Count me in if you need the numbers me and the hound would be there for sure ! Also what sort of number are you getting because I know of a place near Mt baw Baw up past NooJee in Victoria .............

Although I'd reallllly like to see the top end - ahhhh sunshine ! So I vote cape muster ,') and yes i have my deposit at the ready !

and have all the victorians not turn up again ??
wasnt that the main reason it was a flop?
so many vic's said "if you have it down here we will come"
qld deserves a chance
vic had there chance and blew it

we wont be attending the next one
unless its at the cape
we cant do 2 trips so close together
and we are 100% commited to the cape trip

So show us where you say that all the Vic's would turn up if in Vic And in that case lets not organize anything now for qld till 2 months beforehand. And sorry but the musters aren't just for the members that live in the state the the muster is held in

what a waste of time.
no one is going to turn up except for a about half a dozen cars,just like this years flop..
who the f*&^ is going to drive to QLD for a navara muster?
get real people...
yeah yeah ,jump all over me for saying this,but wait and see...
just go for a drive with your local members and forget this crap...
just my opinion...

read through the last years muster wrap up thread
and other threads re muster
the comments are there

You'll have to enlighten us please....just read 2 threads...nothing...
Just read the muster wrap up thread and I just can't find all those nasty vic's you mention

If it was held mid year or something and not in November so close to Christmas im sure many more would have attended and the short notice on dates and venue didnt help the cause

Guys, shite happens. don't start flinging it.
Analyse what went wrong, learn from it and fix it for next time.

The bottom line is that it needs people to get A->G and start doing stuff for 2013 & 2014.

This is why I'm posting polls, plus it gets people thinking a bit more on the big picture.

My personal 2c is that if you think your state should host a muster, look at the list of what people have indicated they desire and start looking around and finding out about places that tic some or all boxes.

what a waste of time.
no one is going to turn up except for a about half a dozen cars,just like this years flop..
who the f*&^ is going to drive to QLD for a navara muster?
get real people...
yeah yeah ,jump all over me for saying this,but wait and see...
just go for a drive with your local members and forget this crap...
just my opinion...

G'day Superiorcruiser,

Mate, we live in a democracy, you are entitled to your opinion. I for one am not not in the habit for attacking someones valid opinion. Good onya mate for having a say!

Regards,

RLI
:shooter:

Folks the Muster is quite simple!

The venue with the most votes wins, regardless of which state it is in. This is your forum, you are the ones who have to travel and finance your expenses to get there.

I have suggested in previous responses that we should be prepared to pay a deposit up front. That way, we have another avenue to measure how committed members would be to attending the next Muster.

I am curious to see two things;

1. A Poll to see ware members would like to see the next muster held! ie, Qld, SA, Vic, NSW, etc.

2. A another poll to see who would be prepared to pay an up-front deposit on there choice of venue. ie, Cape York, the Vic high country, Adios park, etc.

This information will allow the committee and the members to help measure which would be the most favorable state and location to hold the next Muster.

This is only my opinion.

PS, Your humble servant!

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

Last edited:
1. A Poll to see ware members would like to see the next muster held! ie, Qld, SA, Vic, NSW, etc.

this is a MUST and the results are FINAL!

tho along with the states...some venues should be put up under each state, as this has also a huge bearing on distance travelled..ie...top to bottom of QLD is more than a casual sunday drive.

Latest posts

Back