Paint quality on the D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vomitbomb

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a series 5 D40 2011-2012 model and I can't believe the amount of scratches that are appearing on it. They're not just light scratches either they've actually gone through the paint. I haven't even taken the thing offroad yet and I don't use it for work either. They seem to be isolated to the tray, haven't been noticing them on the body (besides the usual door handle spots).

The car is only 3 months old at the moment and I can't imagine what it's going to look like after a few years.

Is anyone else having the same issues? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

There has been reports about bad paint jobs over the years, some are justified, some are just owners expecting too much but that is the same with any 'complaint'

I don't have a problem with mine, I have a few stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and otherwise the only scratches I have on the exterior have been as a result of myself. One from a screw driver in my pocket as I walked passed, one from something that fell on the rear quarter panel and one from a set of wire cutters i dropped out of the canopy window.

Inside the tub I don't care about, it's a ute, it's made to cart shit around, scratches in the tub wont effect the resale and protecting an area where they probably don't slap as much paint as they do on exposed areas just doesn't seem like a priority.

There has been reports about bad paint jobs over the years, some are justified, some are just owners expecting too much but that is the same with any 'complaint'

I don't have a problem with mine, I have a few stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and otherwise the only scratches I have on the exterior have been as a result of myself. One from a screw driver in my pocket as I walked passed, one from something that fell on the rear quarter panel and one from a set of wire cutters i dropped out of the canopy window.

Inside the tub I don't care about, it's a ute, it's made to cart shit around, scratches in the tub wont effect the resale and protecting an area where they probably don't slap as much paint as they do on exposed areas just doesn't seem like a priority.

G'day Krafty,

I'm not talking about inside the tub, just the outside. I had a ford falcon before the navara with 430,000kms on it and it didn't have scratches on it like this. I'm noticing a new scratch on the navara at least once a week. Today I noticed another one about 5 centimetres long right through the paint on the right-rear quarter.

I'd be looking at where you park and what you do or what is done around your car, scratches don't just appear.

There aren't many new cars that have paint jobs like they used to do on cars, all new paints scratch and mark easily but if scratches keep appearing there does have to be something causing them.

I'd be looking at where you park and what you do or what is done around your car, scratches don't just appear.

There aren't many new cars that have paint jobs like they used to do on cars, all new paints scratch and mark easily but if scratches keep appearing there does have to be something causing them.

I realise scratches don't just appear but short of someone keying the car they simply shouldn't be there under normal circumstances - normal circumstances in which I use the car*

If it keeps following this trend it's going to look pretty damn average soon. I had done a bit of a quick search and found a few people who had issues with the Nissan paint quality but I was wondering if any users of this forum had an experience similar to myself and if they did anything about it. Basicaly I'm just trying to establish if it's a known issue with the navaras and if there's any point in mentioning it to the dealership.

Hey mate, what colour is your car? it shouldnt really make a difference but maybe you notice the scratches more.
Mine is late 2011 build and im pretty surprised how well it held up in the scrub, i could hear the sticks down the sides like nails on a chalk board and theres nothing that wouldnt buff out

Scratches like you describe (right through the paint) just dont grow like grass .....each time you look at it its longer and more of it!!
I would go over the car out in the sun and try and take note of each and every scratch like you would when you hire a car.

Latest posts

Back