Performance mods D40 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you guys enjoying the thread so far?

• YES

Votes: 159 93.5%
  • NO

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters
well the way i did is easy as it can get. attacked the old airbox with a hacksaw and used all the standard parts from the MAF sensor side of the airbox to the turbo

Yeah sweet thanks, how did you go securing the Apollo to bottom of the engine bay? Could you possibly get some detailed pics of your install or are they hiding on here somewhere?

i didn't secure it to the engine bay becasue you dont really need to. its not going to move anywhere with all the hose clamps in it. the only pics i got of the install are what i posted before, sorry bud

Yeh you don't need to secure it really, it won't move once its installed.. The most important thing to do is get rid of the rubber pipe going from the filter to the turbo inlet. Changing this to hard pipe makes a difference to heat and compression.. The filter and intercooler upgrade is the best thing you can do to your engine, the heat going into your engine is reduced alot. Doing this upgrade tho is useless performance wise unless you have a snorkel to act as a ram type intake system.. If you watch YouTube mighty car mods did a dyno test in a skyline showing this fact so as far as performance goes you need to have a ram style effect to gain horsepower but in saying that lowering heat is always good for your engine.

Yeh you don't need to secure it really, it won't move once its installed.. The most important thing to do is get rid of the rubber pipe going from the filter to the turbo inlet. Changing this to hard pipe makes a difference to heat and compression.. The filter and intercooler upgrade is the best thing you can do to your engine, the heat going into your engine is reduced alot. Doing this upgrade tho is useless performance wise unless you have a snorkel to act as a ram type intake system.. If you watch YouTube mighty car mods did a dyno test in a skyline showing this fact so as far as performance goes you need to have a ram style effect to gain horsepower but in saying that lowering heat is always good for your engine.

Where did you source this bit from?

I'm doing the air box mod so I can fit a snorkel, the new Spain Navs have a different internal setup then previous air boxes.

Where did you source this bit from?

This is a 3" 90degree aluminium pipe which again. You can buy from eBay or your local autobahn or super-cheap.. You will need a dremel to cut the inlet for the maf sensor and also tap a small line for the boost solinoide hose..I used a piece of 10mm thick rubber and modified it to space the maf out and used self tapping screws to fit it off..

Well guys made a trip for work up in Mackay and a few days later heard a wind up in the turbo lost power and I backed off then boost was back again.. Long story short turbo is gone. I can stil drive it and it still makes boost but its followed by a cloud of white smoke! So I purchased a cheap turbo from eBay for $800 and ill be getting it next week for the swap over.. Here is a picture of what I found when I ha a close look..

i know it's not from now maybe from when I didn't have a snorkel and went to stratbroke island and got water in the intake.. Well I just hit 150,000 so not bad effort lol

Attachments

• image-3365786125.jpg
    image-3365786125.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Either way if the smoke situation won't go away after replacing the turbo it's still shot and needs to go.. I'm hoping that this is the problem and the seal inside is busted.. I don't get any smoke at idle only after a drive then come to a stop and it starts smoking quite bad for about 10 seconds then goes away.. Anyone agree? Turbo shot?

Last edited:
That sucks mate, same turbo for the replacement? I thought with all your mods you would have gone with an upgraded turbo.

That sucks mate, same turbo for the replacement? I thought with all your mods you would have gone with an upgraded turbo.

Mate I have limited tools with me and limited funds, maybe if I were back home I would have gone that way.. If this turbo goes in the next year I will be doing a similar upgrade as bluenavara.. But at the moment i need a direct replacement, I need the car for work and to get back home so happy days!

Yeah fair enough, gotta work with what you got and what you can afford I suppose. Spraying my alloy bar tomorrow after reading your thread on it:)

Yeah fair enough, gotta work with what you got and what you can afford I suppose. Spraying my alloy bar tomorrow after reading your thread on it:)

Haha yeh like this Facebook pic I seen.. Dollar bill between her ass cheeks and at the bottom saying "when times are tough you need to be a tight ass" lol as for the alloy bar it will look mad bro

Ok so just a quick update, removed the damaged turbo and cleaned everything! Now I have to wait until Thursday to get the oil I'm after up north because its out of stock! Anyway I pulled the old turbo apart and had a look a the VNT insides interesting concept and works well.. I failed to find wet oil tho. Heaps of soot build up caked on it tho could it just be that if there was oil on the compressor side it would have burned off after a 20min drive then shutting the engine off? It hasn't been driven since last week and it started on the first crank with no rough idle... I know I have to change the turbo anyway because the compressor wheel is damaged could the white smoke be something else? Any opinions? Could I even possibly experiencing a regen?! After all its been 2 years since I did th dpf delete and not had one maybe up until now? I guess I'll find out when the new turbo goes on Thursday.. Ill keep you guys posted

Also I noticed that when I went to remove the dump pipe bolts I was missing a bolt! It was broken off in the turbo housing.. I think when the guy did my exhaust he broke it and didn't tell me! So now I have to buy new dump pipe bolts and nuts I don't want to both with the old ones anyway but come on own up to it if you do shit like this.. I never noticed it because the heat shield was on top.. This is my 3" dump pipe and a few other pics

Attachments

• image-2645975224.jpg
    image-2645975224.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 310
  • image-1137194648.jpg
    image-1137194648.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 319
  • image-2957685348.jpg
    image-2957685348.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 302
  • image-556399101.jpg
    image-556399101.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 301
how did u destroy the compressor

I do believe its either when I went for a swim before the snorkel or some how sometime when I fitted the k&n something went in? I cleaned and checked the filter tonight and don't see anyway anything getting in besides air.. But I do believe they also got worst after a 12 hour drive straight from Brisbane to mackay in heavy rain

Ouch, what did the turbo set you back.

Well I'm straps for cash right now but I got it of good old ebay for $600 delivered to my door here in Mackay with in 2 days.. I know it cheap but it's new and fitted correctly can't go wrong for now to get me out of trouble.. It looks good everything is in the right place direct bolt on.. The fins on the compressor wheel are slightly different besides that look like the Garrett that was in there. I will take some photos of the new turbo and a few install pics in the next few days

Back