Petrol in fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noakesy

Reaction score
I have 3.5l of petrol added to 25 lt of deisel added to my tank by mistake , while it is small amount , being a common rail diesel have heard no amount of petrol is good for injectors and fuel pump. Is there anywhere can sorce a manual so can remove fuel tank and flush out please. Had the old girl since new , never caused me a problem , and only has done 180,000km since had from 2008, and dont want to risk by diluting petrol. Thanks

I have 3.5l of petrol added to 25 lt of deisel added to my tank by mistake
Bugger!

Couldnt say I'd know what to do either.
Following the above advise should surely get you out of trouble.
Would be good if you would keep us updated with the progress

Yes have heard to do that , but dont think its advisable to do that to the comon rail ones , as have been told, petrol will do damage to injector and fuel pump. As fuel pumps be almost worth the market value of car , would rather waste 100 bucks and empty tank. Looks like a old deisel engines will handle some petrol but not the newer engines like mine .

So far have removed spare to access back of tank , and have enough clearence under ute to access front of tank. Have removed the 2 bolts at front and back and one smaller bolt on side to remove protective plate around tank , there are another 3 bolts back and front holding tank in place , and placing jacks under tank to hold in place so can drop , as has at least 50 l of fuel in tank, and will remove the bolt holding the filler pipe to car . Will keep posted from here . Thanks

the 2 stroke fixes the issue of petrol reducing the lube, in fact it increases lube well above what the diesel is.
with such small amount of petrol into a large amount of diesel its not a big issue, the oil more than makes up for it.

Yes but heard the petrol doesnt burn , and have a mate in south africa that owns and sells cars , he said that dont want in fuel pump any petrol on newer engine ones , but have just removed the 3 screws that hold the fuel inlet and the 3 under the mud guard holding the guardaround fuel inlet pipe , ive cleaned all the dirt and dust build up off mud guard and fittings and pipe and hose joined , which should allow me to pump out the fuel if unjoin hose , as long as petrol mixed with deisel mixes and doesnt sit on top , i should be able to remove most , , and thinking little that remained in tank with full tank of diesel and some fuel docotor would be ok , would also pump fuel line clean and replace fuel filter

Yes but heard the petrol doesnt burn , and have a mate in south africa that owns and sells cars , he said that dont want in fuel pump any petrol on newer engine ones , but have just removed the 3 screws that hold the fuel inlet and the 3 under the mud guard holding the guardaround fuel inlet pipe , ive cleaned all the dirt and dust build up off mud guard and fittings and pipe and hose joined , which should allow me to pump out the fuel if unjoin hose , as long as petrol mixed with deisel mixes and doesnt sit on top , i should be able to remove most , , and thinking little that remained in tank with full tank of diesel and some fuel docotor would be ok , would also pump fuel line clean and replace fuel filter
other way around, diesel doesn't burn in a petrol car as it won't ignite.

I run 50ml of 2 stroke in my diesel anyways.. it reduces my injector clatter massively.

Here's a fun clip

Just spoke to diesel mechanic , his advice or his truck would fuse out tank , lines and change fuel filter , as said 300 per injector and around 1500 for fuel pump , for a bit of time and cost of 50 bucks in fuel and 30 for oil filter , would be better than risking damage to them . And since im almost at dropping tank , may as well keep going
To drain the tank before lowering as has 40l or so fuel in it and is a rectangle tank and would be extreamly hard to balance it on a jack , found out easyier way to drain fuel before i drop out tank to fulsh. PETROL CAP has 3 screws around holding metel inlet pipe to car , if look under back wheel will have a guard cover over the inlet pipe into the tank , 3 secews removes thats and allows access where metal inlet pipe joins at rubber hose , unclamp and unjoin pipe and hose and can drain most of fuel from tank before dropping to make litter and easyier to work will. Doesnt take long but to clean 16 years worth of dust and grim from mud guard , pipes , fittings takes a while , so no dirt falls into tank .

what model navara do you have?

easy way would be to syphon the fuel out, or disconnect the fuel hoses and drain it.
petrol burns just fine and its fully mixed in the diesel.

I have 3.5l of petrol added to 25 lt of deisel added to my tank by mistake , while it is small amount , being a common rail diesel have heard no amount of petrol is good for injectors and fuel pump. Is there anywhere can sorce a manual so can remove fuel tank and flush out please. Had the old girl since new , never caused me a problem , and only has done 180,000km since had from 2008, and dont want to risk by diluting petrol. Thanks
Craw under then undo feed pipe for tank then syphon as much out.

Drop tank then remove sender unit and clean intake gauze whilst your at it. Suck out as much fuel as possible then wipe clean inside.

Yes want to drop tank , and clean out , be easy if could pay mechanics , to do , but dont think he take the pumpkins i grow in spare time as payment . Was trying to find instructions on how to do, does not seam there are any for this type of truck , since the tank has nothing holding it to frame anymore , it does not drop out , looks like need to be tilted at back and pulled at angle out under the back diff, cause of its shape , after that its must cleaning and putting back on. But any ideas on dropping it would be big help , thanks

Finally ,

Attachments

• 20240522_164856.jpg
    20240522_164856.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 0
Yes want to drop tank , and clean out , be easy if could pay mechanics , to do , but dont think he take the pumpkins i grow in spare time as payment . Was trying to find instructions on how to do, does not seam there are any for this type of truck , since the tank has nothing holding it to frame anymore , it does not drop out , looks like need to be tilted at back and pulled at angle out under the back diff, cause of its shape , after that its must cleaning and putting back on. But any ideas on dropping it would be big help , thanks
Here's what's involved when I did mine.
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/Bd8k9QQx9eVERpba/?mibextid=oFDknk

I changed cars and took new Navara with little petrol in it to the station and filled with petrol.

Before I finished I realised and had put 45 ltrs in.

Quotes over 800 to get someone out so towed her home..

And then took rear filler off tank and let pour into large bins... and the when lower siphoned out remainder of tank into a jerry can .. car wasn't started, but still replaced the fuel filter after 1/2 tank of diesel fuel to be sure.

Dirty petrol went into the mower... And no further problems.

There is much involved in dropping tank , except that hooks over front bracket , and is a bugger to drop with fuel in it , would have been a lot easier if borrowed car jack as need to jack car up to slide tank from under car . You can drain most of fuel first if remove the fuel intake , and cover so can unclip and break hose to gain access to pump some fuel out , couldnt get all, but at least made it a lot less heavy. Need two car jacks to hold the long tank in place so doesnt drop, and revove the 4 hoses going into tank , need plyers to undo clips , to slide of hoses , 3 on top and 1 down side which looks like has old fuel flitter , but black , there is also a plug with wires in top of tank , which needs to be unclipped somehow , and will work out when suns up. You will need to lower the tank at back on angle to allow to slide out of front bracket , and drop a little to access these hoses from top of tank . The float is also a metal bracket bolted onto onto top of tank too , which would assume has a gasket that will need replacing , or maybe just empty through filler hose . Will keep updated

Latest posts

Back