Pinging Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 2010 st does that loud diesel rattle when the throttle is held at a constant position, eg maintaining a certain speed, like 100kph at 2000rpm, but if i accelerate it goes. it is defiantly an injector noise.
i just thought it was normal for common rail diesel's to sound like that, or should i say hoped it was normal. now that i see that there isnt heaps of people saying there's does the same thing i will get my injectors tested asap.

That sounds like what mine does, I noticed it this morning while accelerating. Holding my foot at a certain level letting the car accelerate the clanking noise got louded and louder and dropped away as I let my foot up again.

I booked mine into Nissan on Thursday. Will let you know what they have to say about it.
I have a feeling they will say its normal. If thats the case i will test drive a new one a see for my self, i just dont remember that sound in the one i drove before signing up for the new one.

Hi all,

I diesel has to “ping”, it is the way it works, Compression ignition, the proper name for a diesel engine, happens when the intake air is compressed this increases the temperature in the cylinder until the fuel will ignite, that’s why they rattle and bang like they do, the noise you are hearing is just caused by a higher than normal load situation.

I can get mine to do it, big long hill, slow to 75kph, leave it in 6th, put foot down, the noise is there, as soon as the engine returns to an rpm and load it is happy with, the noise will reduce or go away.
Same as if I drive into driveway, say a servo, and have to slow further than I intended too, but have left it in 3rd gear, a few revs and out comes the clutch, rpm drop too far, but not far enough to stall, the noise is heard.

There is nothing wrong with your engine, just try not to drive it so the noise is there too much, if the hill or on vehicle load requires, drop down a gear, keep the engine between 1700-2300rpm (under load) and it will love you, they will pull from lower rpm, but it doesn’t mean you should do it. If the car is unloaded, feel free to use a wider RPM range, but remember peak torque is at the 1800-2000rpm, so try and use the gearbox to keep the engine where it is happy.

Hi all,

I diesel has to “ping”, it is the way it works, Compression ignition, the proper name for a diesel engine, happens when the intake air is compressed this increases the temperature in the cylinder until the fuel will ignite, that’s why they rattle and bang like they do, the noise you are hearing is just caused by a higher than normal load situation.

I can get mine to do it, big long hill, slow to 75kph, leave it in 6th, put foot down, the noise is there, as soon as the engine returns to an rpm and load it is happy with, the noise will reduce or go away.
Same as if I drive into driveway, say a servo, and have to slow further than I intended too, but have left it in 3rd gear, a few revs and out comes the clutch, rpm drop too far, but not far enough to stall, the noise is heard.

There is nothing wrong with your engine, just try not to drive it so the noise is there too much, if the hill or on vehicle load requires, drop down a gear, keep the engine between 1700-2300rpm (under load) and it will love you, they will pull from lower rpm, but it doesn’t mean you should do it. If the car is unloaded, feel free to use a wider RPM range, but remember peak torque is at the 1800-2000rpm, so try and use the gearbox to keep the engine where it is happy.

Thanks for the info.
what you have said you could do to make yours "ping" if you wanted to, ("I can get mine to do it, big long hill, slow to 75kph, leave it in 6th, put foot down, the noise is there, as soon as the engine returns to an rpm and load it is happy with, the noise will reduce or go away"). This is the exact opposite of what mine does. The thing is mine doesn't do it when i put my foot down, it does it when ever you maintain any sort of revs in any gear. I can get it to do it at 60kph in third or fourth, it will do it at 120kph in 6th, basically any gear and any revs as long as you are consistent on the throttle you will hear it, or when as you say the engine should be "happy".
If i try and drive it so there is no noise i would have to put my foot on the gas hard then back off then put my foot down again, and keep repeating that all the time.

I am aware of how a diesel engine works, and the sound they make. I have owned a couple of diesels before this one , but this is my first common rail diesel, and none of the others that i have owned make this sound.

it could also be a rattling swivel pin in the clutch pedal, my brother 2005stx and my 2010st both do it, when the clutch cable gets a little slack the pin rattles, if you put u foot against the clutch pedal when it happens and take the freeplay away it stops. so simple but sounds terrible,
hope this is all thats wrong mate
cheers

Nathan, I reckon yours is injector noise - just the right pressure to balance against the power being applied to make 'em rattle good.

Mine does it, thought it was just one of those diesel injector noises. Get the injectors out of a 550 and try, I bet that quiets up the motor! Had a listen to a 550 Pathy with the bonnet open and you'd nearly swear it was a petrol engine.

Actually that's a thought - I wonder if the 550's injectors would suit the YD25?

Tony i think your right about the sound being the injectors. I had a mate in the car with me today who had the injectors replaced in his hilux twice. He said it sounds exactly like his before they changed them. Anyway i will see what Nissan have to say about it tomorrow.

theres a uk recall of sorts on d40 injectors,they seem to only replace two at a time though,maybe because they charge £100 each for fookers! someone said vw/audi/skoda/seat have injector probs as well

I just got the ute back from Nissan and this is what they had written on the report.

"INSPECTED VEHICLE FOR NOISE IN ENGINE, FOUND SLIGHT DIESEL KNOCK WHICH IS NORMAL OF THIS VEHICLE"

So i guess i have nothing to worry about. I think i would still like to drive another one just for peace of mind

I think i have just found out why my d40 has the extra load rattle or ping.
I normally fill up at my local caltex and use there vortex diesel as it is only 500m up the road. it is a busy servo and the turn over of fuel is good.
How ever i fuelled up at a BP yesterday and the noise is all but gone!! seriously it is 100% better. I would be able to hear the injectors over the radio now i cant hear it with the radio off.
i have used shell before and didn't notice any difference, but within 20km of putting the BP diesel in i was shocked to hear the engine getting quieter. I dont the think it has changed anything else.. eg.. power and i am yet to see with economy but it sure does run smoother and way less noise.

I'm still at a loss. I need to get someone with some experience to listen my noise, it's a kind of noise that sounds like ripping paper, I find it very hard to explain in words.

siringo, next time you get low on diesel whack a tank of BP in and see if it makes any difference. I am amazed that it made as much difference as it has, chalk and cheese. The noise was starting to really concern me, not to mention drive me up the wall listening to it.

it does seem like the noise yours is making may be different to mine but its worth a shot all the same.

You know what was the biggest shame? There we were at Tooraweenah with half of us at least 95% sober and we could have taken a listen!

I was so busy running around making sure things happened I forgot to sit back and think of things like this, and I didn't log in to the forums for the entire time we were there so I didn't remind myself about it.

Aren't there VNOG days you could take it along to? How about recording the sound and posting it, people have done that before, it might work!

Heard the noise again this morning and the best way I can describe it is ...

It sounds like coins vibrating on a piece of tin or coins in an ash tray vibrating at the same time and same speed as the clack clack clack you get from the diesel motor. The noise can be increased or decreased in volume by increasing or decreasing acceleration. It's a real bright, tinny sound. I can build the sound up by gently increasing acceleration, but if I put my foot down the sound either stays at the same level or goes away.

Heard the noise again this morning and the best way I can describe it is ...

It sounds like coins vibrating on a piece of tin or coins in an ash tray vibrating at the same time and same speed as the clack clack clack you get from the diesel motor. The noise can be increased or decreased in volume by increasing or decreasing acceleration. It's a real bright, tinny sound. I can build the sound up by gently increasing acceleration, but if I put my foot down the sound either stays at the same level or goes away.

Sirringo

I have the noise on the odd occassion too. Your described my noise exactly with
It sounds like coins vibrating on a piece of tin or coins in an ash tray
I change the foot slightly on the accelerator, and bingo - no more noise at all. So i just back off slightly on the throttle and drive it so the noise doesnt botter me.

But, now that the Navara is about to have its 2nd birthday, and have clocked up nearly 50 thou kms, it will be going in to my local nissan dealer for a thorough go over, and to try to get rid of a few rattles under the bonnet.

Mine is a 2010 (july build) STX and it too has that pinging noise. I was told by the service dept that "they all do it". Annoying but does not seem to be a problem.

Latest posts

Back