Popped Sway Bar Links

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav_brah

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I currently have 2" tough dog kit + 2" front space + 2" extended shackle totally 4" of total lift.

I have noticed that when I jack up the body of the car or go do some 4wding the sway bar links pop out of the socket. Its been so bad that the whole boot of the sway bar linkage have ripped apart.

Has anyone else experienced this or am i having a unique problem? When I did my suspension i removed the sway bar links and had to put them back in. Is there any chance that by doing so I have put them in the wrong way around?

I have done some googling and cannot find similar problems.

Please Help!!!!!!!

You can get longer links. With 4 inches you would need them as the angles and pressure is bad with 2' lift. you can get them on line or try pedders or fulcrum.

You can get longer links. With 4 inches you would need them as the angles and pressure is bad with 2' lift. you can get them on line or try pedders or fulcrum.

I have been googling where to find these from...Have you possibly got a link?

Cheers

remove the sway bar altogether, you will get more travel with out it.

i removed mine and it was much better, also Jayson and lladnar both run their D40's with the 5" lifts and they wont pit it back on either

remove the sway bar altogether, you will get more travel with out it.

i removed mine and it was much better, also Jayson and lladnar both run their D40's with the 5" lifts and they wont pit it back on either

I dont do that much hardcore 4wd anyway so i decided to get extended links. If it still gives me problems or anything Ill just get rid of it all together.

I dont do that much hardcore 4wd anyway so i decided to get extended links. If it still gives me problems or anything Ill just get rid of it all together.

Heya Nav brah.
Wondering how the extended links went ?
I have had exactly the same problem after lifting mine 3". Took if for a wheel alignment & as soon as they lifted it from the body, both links broke away without even putting up a fight.
The Pro's I have spoken to, say that the D40 does not need extended/adjustable links, but this is obvious BS.

Wondering how yours are travelling now ? And did you go with the 1" entendables that your link showed ?

Thanks in advance Jimbo

Heya Nav brah.
Wondering how the extended links went ?
I have had exactly the same problem after lifting mine 3". Took if for a wheel alignment & as soon as they lifted it from the body, both links broke away without even putting up a fight.
The Pro's I have spoken to, say that the D40 does not need extended/adjustable links, but this is obvious BS.

Wondering how yours are travelling now ? And did you go with the 1" entendables that your link showed ?

Thanks in advance Jimbo

Hey Bro actually ended up not getting them and running the Nav without the front sway bar. The I ordered from the US didn't include shipping and the company contacted me asking for ~$70 for shipping so I didn't bother. Been running so smoothly.

Just be aware mate,

If you tow without sway bars on the front. It is very likely that it will not corner very well,
as for the sway bars have been removed.

Please keep that in mind if towing anything

Safety first !!!!!!!!

Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's

Just be aware mate,

If you tow without sway bars on the front. It is very likely that it will not corner very well,
as for the sway bars have been removed.

Please keep that in mind if towing anything

Safety first !!!!!!!!

very interesting mate. I will be towing a boat over summer. Is it still possible or is the body role un-bearable?

I thought about taking my swaybars out awhile ago.

But because I tow a camper trailer regularly.
I opted to leave them in.
If for example you could get disconnecting sway bars, like the patrols.

Honestly that would be a better option for you.

The handling towing something is absolute crap. Take that first hand I partially removed mine then connected my camper trailer and went for a drive.

And sorry to say it was not very unpleasant.

I guess in reality they are there for a reason.
I have tried it and I have left my sway bars in.
Even though you get a little bit more articulation.

It is not worth it from the safety aspect. Sorry to put a dampener on what you were thinking.

Last edited:
I took the sway bar out on my D40's and found it to be great, i tow work trailers and my camper with absolutely no problems at all, yes there may be a slight bit more body roll but nothing i wold call dangerous even in the slightest way.

I know of heaps of guys that no longer run them and they wont go back, some even have the Calmini 5" +2" lift kits and still no probs.

It may be a different story with a D22 and the old torsion bar system but its definitely no issue with the D40 especially with after market coils

Last edited:
They certainly are and its why i thought giving a D40 driver advice from a previous D40 owner (who run a D40 with no sway bar) in a D40 section was a good idea, makes more sense then comparing results from a D22 test with a D40

Last edited:
They certainly are and its why i thought giving a D40 driver advice from a previous D40 owner in a D40 section was a good idea, makes more sense then comparing results from a D22 test with a D40

That's right YOU are man of knowledge.

God forbid anybody else should step on your comments...........

Being a D22 driver myself and really having no idea about D40's my advice (take it or leave it) throw on your camper/trailer/caravan and go for a safe drive at safe speeds and see what you think. Then disconnect it and go for another drive again at same speeds on the same roads and judge for your self.
Done and dusted.

"People" here are touchy so take no note of them. Not sure Nath, ex D40 driver commenting in a D40 area, seems legit to me. But who am I to say??

Asking is always a good start as input is always a good way of learning but nothing beats your own conclusions.

Cheers and beers.

Latest posts

Back