Possible D22 Recovery Points

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinkum

Reaction score
Not that I really want to be in the position to use the snatch strap to pluck someone out or for that matter where someone has to use one to get me out of trouble I do though need to be prepared to tow or be towed.

Big difference in actually towing someone to using the snatch strap to get them out, I do also carry a short tow rope as well.

Which ever is used I need some where to connect them to, have just been under the Navara here are a few photos and suggestions what do you think.
Under the rear there is nothing at all as the heavy duty, 3000kg rated, Heyman Reese tow bar has just about used anything suitable.

Rear.jpg

Whilst I would never consider to using the Ball itself as a Recovery point I feel that using shackles in one or both of the holes in the photo above as towing points or alternatively place the tow rope or snatch strap around the tow bar itself. Towing I believe would be no problem but using the snatch strap would it perhaps damage the tow bar?

In the front the Bull Bar has taken up just about any mounting available.
DriveFront.jpg

BullBarMount.jpg

There is a very slight difference each side but I feel with a good file and a little time I could file the Bull Bar bracket to allow a large shackle to be used the tow would take place on the chassis and not the bull bar bracket.

RecoveryPointPasenger.jpg

On the passenger side there was a slight difference and I was able to get a shackle in there although would be a little difficult to get at in the mud or bogged down it would be a suitable point for towing but then how about if it was necessary to use a snatch strap to get me out, would possible damage occur?

What's your thoughts on these possible Tow/Recovery points

Mate you can use the towbar. If u put the strap end into the bar then stick the hitch pin through the loop asif you were sticking it through your hitch tongue you can recover or be recovered like that. Or buy a hitch point which has a bow shackles on it for connecting the strap.

+1 RustyNav - used the tow hitch pin a few times and no worries

Also used your pic above with the bow shackle off the bullbar mount heaps.

That said, the rear chassis rails have pre-drilled holes well suited to recovery hooks. Plenty of threads already on recovery point too....

Hey mate, what brand of bullbar is this?

Should there be two more bolts either side down the bottom also?
ive added arrows to your photo so you know wher im talking about.

I would have thought these holes should be bolted also, and then using the ponts where your bow shackle is would be alot more suited.

Might be wrong, but the two empty holes just stood out.

Pete

Attachments

• BullBarMount.jpg
    BullBarMount.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
X3
The bar looks like it has being pushed pack, (pivoted on the slotted bolts) It needs realignment and then drilled/bolted to hold in the correct position.

Looks like an Ironman bar by the paint finish.

Last edited:
It is a ECB bull bar installed on the Ex Government vehicle as one would expect it would have been installed correctly.
You have though made a very good point I will try and find where ECB reside here in Brisban and get around to have a chat with them.
There are though as the photo below shows two other bolts to another bracket above the two in my earlier photo.
A good point and one I will certainly look into, thanks for pointing this out.
If anyone reading this has a ECB bull bar on thier Navara D22 they could perhaps please check thier mounting out and let me know.
Mount.jpg

In this pic you can see a mark where the bar was originally sitting. It's definitely being moved.

BullBarMount.jpg

Yeah i would get them to check it out. If you could get it all lined up nicely (slotted tie down holes), and the extra 2 bolts holes drilled either side. Add the extra bolts and it would be great.

Then your bow shackles will fit properly and you have some good recovery points.

Pete

Sent photos to Steve Davies at ECB who promptly relied informing as was suspected that the Bull Ball had not been installed correctly in the first place. Steve recommended that I go to Arana Towbars in Woodridge my local dealers to have installed correctly. This I will certainly do in the near future.

Very good. Get it fixed up right and then your set. Buy some rated bow shackles to use and you will be laughing.

And to answer your question about the rear bar, you can buy a tow hitch reciever as mentioned above, or do whats in the second photo. Just use the hitch pin and insert the snatch.

Pete

Attachments

• hitch_rec.jpg
    hitch_rec.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 107
  • snatching.jpg
    snatching.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 158
+1 on the rated bow shackles. Those in your pics are D-shackle and are unsafe for snatching.

Very good. Get it fixed up right and then your set. Buy some rated bow shackles to use and you will be laughing.

And to answer your question about the rear bar, you can buy a tow hitch reciever as mentioned above, or do whats in the second photo. Just use the hitch pin and insert the snatch.

Pete

Hi guys
Our club has just been through this very thing re: using the pin to run through the snatch strap - from memory Hayman Reece does not condone using the pin as it is MILD steel, it is totally encouraged to use the set up in the first photo (the recovery hitch) and if this is not possible the take the tow ball OFF and put your rated shackle in the hole (of the tow hitch), their argument is that even doing it this way is safer because the load is spread across the pin rather than directly on it as it would be if the snatch strap was attached as in the second photo. This information has only just been made aware to us, and I have used the pin through the snatch strap method myself and always wondered how strong it would actually be.

Cheers
Boxxy

Latest posts

Back