Possible Engine trouble

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bung-Eye

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had my Nav for nearly 3 years without prob. I have really loved owning it, however in the last few months i've noticed a little problem.

Particularly in 3rd and 4th gear ('05 ST-R) and going up hill (ie under load) the engine cuts in and out quickly. i wish i knew how to expain it better. it's almost like it shudders, surging on and off. if I had to hazard a guess, not being overly mechanical, it feels like an injector problem but i have nfi. it's definitely noticable though. does / has anyone have/had the same sort of problem? And any ideas on how to fix it?

Most likely to be the Neutral positon switch on the gearbox. Seems to be a common thing. Do a search on the forum - quite well documented

thanks guys. i will check it out.

does this apply if you don't have the heat switch turned on? I live in QLD and have never had the need to use that particular switch.

The NPS will be independent to the heater switch. It's there to determine if you're in neutral or not. When it develops a fault, the typical symptom experienced is an erratic operation of the engine in 3rd and 4th gears, just like you describe.

this morning I did the prelim test on the NPS by turning the heat switch on whilst idling in the driveway. with the clutch depressed I slotted it into each gear, all of which dropped the revs until being placed back into neutral.

does this mean that my problem is likely not the NPS and something else?

just unplug the n.p.switch and go for a drive.

unplugging it has no side affects, its just a bitch to get to.

tanz,

I have tried, only one of them works though. still searching frantically through the forums for a good guide on how to do it.

Hmm, you're correct the 2nd link didn't seem to work.

I found that driving along in 3rd/ 4th gear and gently move the gear lever around for/aft left/right will induce the fault if the switch is faulty.

Cheers.

i believe you only have to unplug the nps and go for a drive and what happens

Back