Possible starter motor issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackass

Reaction score
Hi,
I had a previous thread in this section "Clunk on engine start" but I now have more information.
The problem is that intermittently when starting, as soon as the engine fires there is a quick single clunk, doesn't happen all the time.
I have now found that if I switch off the engine and then just as the engine nearly stops, turn it back on, the engine restarts and there is no clunk.
To my thinking the only difference is that the starter motor is not engaging.
Could it be that the return spring is tired / broken and not retuning off the flywheel quick enough.
What do you think?
cheers, Geoff.

That's possible. Removal of the starter would allow inspection of it and shouldn't take too long - couple of cables, couple of bolts and it's done (hope you've 'ad yer spinnich).

It might also just be the solenoid returning, although it shouldn't make a really loud sound.

If it was not returning you would here it running on the fly wheel (usually a growling noise),maybe remove it and clean it out and lube it. you can also fire it up with a set of jumper leads and another trigger wire use a brave sole or a vice to hold. this will demonstrate the running of the starter and show you quickly if it does or doesn't return.

If you do want to remove and run, run negative lead to housing wear it mounts to the block and positive to wear you removed battery lead then use third small trigger wire between the positive jumper lead and the terminal you pulled the crimp terminal or plug off of.

Back