possible turbo issue?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno82

Reaction score
Hey guys,
my dad just did a 6000k outback adventure in his nav. Now he's back there is quite a loud air rushing noise when the vehicle is accelerating. Any one got any ideas. Im thinking one of the hoses are leaking on the turbo or its the turbo its self.

vehiclar specs:

D22 ZD30

260 000 kms

if it is the turbo can you buy a new turbo and bolt it straight to the car, given that it is an 260 000km old engine?

Hi beno82, check the four small allen head bolts at the back of the turbo. They are quite hard to see, especially the bottom two. You will need to remove the heat shield first. Then you will need to cut down an allen key to make it easier to tighten them up.
You may find as i did that one has fallen out all together, i thought it was a split hose at first. I was told by a reputable diesel workshop that the turbo was shot and i had an exhaust leak, but that was a load of BS. When i got home freaking out that i was up for a turbo i decided to have a better look, low and behold it was that stinking tiny little bolt. Once replaced with a new one and a drop of lock tight it was back to normal.
Hope that is all it is for you.
Good luck. Nathan

I'm interested in the "air rushing noise" - it could be several things.

Is it a sound like a squeal, like fingernails on a blackboard? That would indicate a high pressure leak, which would be between the turbo and the inlet manifold - check the hoses, look around the joins, it's possible that a hose clamp has pinched the hose and is causing the leak.

Is it a much lower pitch sound, like a heavy roaring sound much like a stormy night? This would indicate something on the low-pressure side, I'd check that the air filter was clean and mounted correctly, and check that there's nothing else blocking the air intake.

If it's a screeching metal sound, then the turbocharger compressor is impacting the housing. Open the intake, wobble the shaft - does the turbo shaft move? If it does, or is rough to spin, then the turbo is failing - do NOT drive the car, get a new turbo.

Hey guys,
my dad just did a 6000k outback adventure in his nav. Now he's back there is quite a loud air rushing noise when the vehicle is accelerating. Any one got any ideas. Im thinking one of the hoses are leaking on the turbo or its the turbo its self.

vehiclar specs:

D22 ZD30

260 000 kms

if it is the turbo can you buy a new turbo and bolt it straight to the car, given that it is an 260 000km old engine?

Does it sound like a the turbo sort of "hissing" from behind the dash? That is what happened to mine not long back. Alot of fart assing around, then it ended up being a $5 fix. Lost one of the bolts from the back of the turbo like nathand22 said. That was after changing all the hoses thinking they were split/pinched and getting a new exhaust (cause I was told that the cat had collapsed). Apparently it is real common to lose that bottom bolt.

I lost my bolt on a trip to Fraser. I am guessing some of the tracks must of wiggled it loose.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the "air rushing noise" - it could be several things.

Is it a sound like a squeal, like fingernails on a blackboard? That would indicate a high pressure leak, which would be between the turbo and the inlet manifold - check the hoses, look around the joins, it's possible that a hose clamp has pinched the hose and is causing the leak.

Is it a much lower pitch sound, like a heavy roaring sound much like a stormy night? This would indicate something on the low-pressure side, I'd check that the air filter was clean and mounted correctly, and check that there's nothing else blocking the air intake.

If it's a screeching metal sound, then the turbocharger compressor is impacting the housing. Open the intake, wobble the shaft - does the turbo shaft move? If it does, or is rough to spin, then the turbo is failing - do NOT drive the car, get a new turbo.

Tony your right it could be allot of things, but i would put my money on the bolt falling out.
For some reason the hitachi turbo's seem to drop the bottom bolt once they get a few km on them. May be the heat effects the tension on the bolt and they start to wiggle loose, then pop out they come and the air rushing out of that tiny little hole makes a real racket.
i was on the freeway when mine fell out. Man did i crap my self.
Anyway i hope thats all it is in this case to for beno82 dads wallet sake.

thanks for the info, having looked at your suggestions its more then likely the bolt missing. will check tomorrow. it still has power but is really noisy under load inside the cab. will keep you posted.

well I attack my fathers car today, there were no loose bolts. turned out it was the top turbo hose had blown out, (really should have checked that first.) so after getting a new one of them its as good as new.

well i lost my cash on that bet:embarassed:

Your right beno82, why didnt you check the hoses first :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back