Power dropped when 4wding

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben-D22

Reaction score
Last week when off road, I had to climb a limestone track to get up off the beach. Pretty steep with a nice jump up about half way up. No problems, 1st gear low range, 16 psi in my brand new BFG all terrains, I basically just idled up, no throttle. I get to the top where it flattens out, as I apply throttle.. Well I've got none. No throttle response and a louder than usual rattle under the bonnet. Stopped for about 20 seconds and it was as good as gold, no signs of any issues under the bonnet. Ran fine after that, it's almost like it starved of fuel? I run twin tanks and for some reason the last owner has plumbed in a EFI style in line fuel filter on the supply line from tank to engine. Any issues there? I have the EGR mod also, couldn't see it being that, my D22 is the ZD30 with 65k on the clock..

Cheers

Attachments

• image-3692712565.jpg
    image-3692712565.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 54
sounds like starvation.
the IP does not like fuel restriction from a 2nd filter, especially a low flow efi type filter.
get rid of the filter. put a decent one in and fit a lift pump.

tweak'e said:
sounds like starvation.
the IP does not like fuel restriction from a 2nd filter, especially a low flow efi type filter.
get rid of the filter. put a decent one in and fit a lift pump.

Cheers mate, what's a lift pump? And why would it starve under idle and not full throttle?

I'd suspect the second filter as well, given that up a steep incline the fuel has to be raised quite a bit and the additional restriction might have been enough to cause the pump problems.

A lift pump would be the way to help it out. After that, I'd only worry that up a steep incline with an aux tank your fuel pickup might suck air unless you've got a reasonably full tank.

Old.Tony said:
I'd suspect the second filter as well, given that up a steep incline the fuel has to be raised quite a bit and the additional restriction might have been enough to cause the pump problems.

A lift pump would be the way to help it out. After that, I'd only worry that up a steep incline with an aux tank your fuel pickup might suck air unless you've got a reasonably full tank.

Thanks tony I'll get on to it

Latest posts

Back